A Question for Atheists

Originally Posted By: Stu Farishthey're on just about any forum where people talk about these things.

Well it’s good that you aren’t obligated to associate with people like that.

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Stu Farishthey're on just about any forum where people talk about these things.

Well it’s good that you aren’t obligated to associate with people like that.

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishI didn't say that I associated with them, that's your assumption. I said that I know a bunch of them.

Stu,
Did I say that you associated with them?
If I am guilty of any assumption, I have assumed that you do not associate with them.

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Merdit

I have always wondered why anyone who believes that there is no God would spend their time trying to convince someone else to believe the same. It appears to me as irrational as my faith does to them, I suppose.

Merdit,
How many proselytizing atheists do you know?
What methods do they use to try to convince you to renounce your Christian faith and replace it with the principles of atheism?

Can't say that I know any really well. I have encountered enough to make me ask the question.

One of the most memorable was an English professor my first semester of college. He was a grey skinned old guy with emphysema, but had a quick wit, ornery grin, and his pale blue eyes seemed to twinkle when he cast his bait. Must have had seniority and been able to get the classes he wanted. I had an honors Comp class with him in which the roster was only twenty or so kids. He gave us about two or three real assignments the first week or so, just to make sure we could already write well enough. Pretty much the rest of the semester was spent in conversation/debate. He would start it up as soon as we came into the classroom. Wouldn't always be something philosophically deep, but he would steer it there if he was in the mood. He learned who was easy to get going. The rest of us learned to throw in a tidbit to keep it rolling if things slowed down. He had a crucifix on the wall behind his desk. He was a master at chipping away at people. Poke, prod, and provoke. By the way, your last name isn't Blackmon, is it?

Originally Posted By: MCaryOpinions are not wrong or right. They are opinions. I'm sure what you meant to say was that you disagree with my opinion.

Atheist websites are not atheists. Just as crazy right wing websites are not republicans or left wing looney websites are every liberal you might meet. (Don't assume you know which one I am) Atheists are people. No better or worst than other people.

Liddle did not come to an epiphany. Based on this quote alone (fify), his book should have been titled The Trouble with Dogma. Arguing that other than religious people can be dogmatic is DUH! Tell an environmentalist that the science is not in with regards to global warming if you need proof.

Opinions can be wrong and very often are. You have expressed your opinions in this thread and on almost every point, in my opinion, your assumptions are wrong. Your assumptions/opinions are wrong as the result of those assumptions not being based on fact or knowledge.

Opinion

NOUN

a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Liddle's quote is not about dogma in general, it is about atheists specifically. Another one of your opinions which is wrong.

Originally Posted By: Bad DawgIt’s gotta be different face to face because in all honesty, I’ve known quite a few atheists in my day and can’t remember a single one trying to convert me. Christians on the other hand, any chance they get.

I am not favoring one or the other. I am simply just stating a fact!

I wouldn't say I ever try to convert anyone. Trying to prove a positive is completely different that trying to prove a negative. Generally speaking, there's not much point in trying to disprove something that's hasn't been proven.

The lively discussions I talked about earlier usually get started by someone asking me why I don't believe in any gods or Jesus and when I tell them why I don't, their arguments of why I should believe usually get thrashed by facts about history, science, etc. and they don't seem to like it much. Ignorance is bliss as they say.
wink.gif

when someone tells someone else that they're superstitious & have invisible friends due to their religious beliefs, it's hardly a respectful exchange of ideas.

when one engages in ridiculing & belittling someone for their faith, it is not a sign of respect for their religious freedom or them as a person.

these things are also not very good ways to get someone to see things your way.

If I tell you to prove to me that god exists, you can't do it. If I tell you to prove to me that god does not exist, you can't do that either & yet that's exactly what atheists believe: god does not exist, that's a fact, period. they tend to be rather rudely insistent on it.

it is in fact a belief with no more basis in fact than what they deny. if it wasn't, they could point to factual, hard proof. but they can't.

and yet they're also adamant that they do not have any sort of faith or belief system.

believe in god or do not believe in god, I don't care. you have the freedom to choose for yourself & neither I nor anyone else gets to choose for you. but either one of those choices is just that, a belief. an act of faith.

and a little respect for other people to have and use their freedom goes a long way.

IAyoteHunter, in many cases a religious person once they learn you do not believe see an opportunity to bring you into the fold. The are very kind, engaging and act as if they truly want to have an enlightened conversation. Once they realize that is simply not going to happen and that your arguments from evidence and reason cannot be successfully argued with faith and scripture their demeanor changes. The kindness and pretend curiosity is replaced by frustration and anger.

I have never had a discussion about my lack of belief and the reasons behind them that I wasn’t drawn into. They are simply not relevant to day to day life and are definitely not polite conversation. I love the give and take of an intellectual reasoned discussion and I try never to offend. Unfortunately with this topic, my mere existence offends so it is impossible. I took the bait again, accidentally stumbling onto this thread in the cellar. I better bow out.

Stu, when someone does what you say, unsolicited, we categorize them thusly, a hole. And just so you know, atheists fit people into the same category who proselytize to them. However, if you engage in a conversation voluntarily with an atheist and beliefs and disbeliefs are discussed you must temper your emotions. An honest answer from an atheist about why he doesn’t believe will always boil down to the fact they think it’s silly and rediculous. Put yourself in their shoes and you just met a grown man who still believes strongly in Santa Clause and wanted to argue that fact with you. Because of how seriously you take your belief, you may find that a silly comparison. But to an atheist it isn’t.

Originally Posted By: MerditOriginally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Merdit

I have always wondered why anyone who believes that there is no God would spend their time trying to convince someone else to believe the same. It appears to me as irrational as my faith does to them, I suppose.

Merdit,
What methods do they use to try to convince you to renounce your Christian faith and replace it with the principles of atheism?

Can't say that I know any really well. I have encountered enough to make me ask the question.

One of the most memorable was an English professor my first semester of college. He was a grey skinned old guy with emphysema, but had a quick wit, ornery grin, and his pale blue eyes seemed to twinkle when he cast his bait. Must have had seniority and been able to get the classes he wanted. I had an honors Comp class with him in which the roster was only twenty or so kids. He gave us about two or three real assignments the first week or so, just to make sure we could already write well enough. Pretty much the rest of the semester was spent in conversation/debate. He would start it up as soon as we came into the classroom. Wouldn't always be something philosophically deep, but he would steer it there if he was in the mood. He learned who was easy to get going. The rest of us learned to throw in a tidbit to keep it rolling if things slowed down. He had a crucifix on the wall behind his desk. He was a master at chipping away at people. Poke, prod, and provoke. By the way, your last name isn't Blackmon, is it?

I guess it’s safe to assume Blackmon was your professor’s name, so no, I am not Professor Blackmon.
lol.gif

My education is so far at the other end of the scale I actually took the question as a compliment, instead of the jab it was intended to be.
Thank you!
grin.gif

What was Professor Blackmon’s deconversion percentage at the end of the semester?

Did they have safe zones at your college where you could go when different opinions caused you to have feelings of discomfort and insecurity?

I remember a movie where a little girl was traumatized by the screaming of lambs being slaughtered.
By the way, your last name wouldn’t be Starling, would it?

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: MerditOriginally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Merdit

Merdit,

I guess it’s safe to assume Blackmon was your professor’s name, so no, I am not Professor Blackmon.
lol.gif

My education is so far at the other end of the scale I actually took the question as a compliment, instead of the jab it was intended to be.
Thank you!
grin.gif

What was Professor Blackmon’s deconversion percentage at the end of the semester?

Did they have safe zones at your college where you could go when different opinions caused you to have feelings of discomfort and insecurity?

I remember a movie where a little girl was traumatized by the screaming of lambs being slaughtered.

lol.gif

It would be no small miracle if my professor was still alive. My question was intended to be both compliment and jab. I had hoped you would see both were intentional. Blackmon would have. Likening you to Blackmon is certainly more compliment than jab. However, this is the internet. I cannot know if you are the caliber of Blackmon, as I knew him face to face and you on a faceless forum. Oh, well.

No idea if he had any conversions at all.

No idea if my college had safe zones.
You imply that I had feelings of discomfort and insecurity. I did not.

I also feel neither discomfort nor insecurity from your last poke, either.

Originally Posted By: MerditOriginally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: MerditOriginally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Merdit

Merdit,

lol.gif

Thank you!
grin.gif

lol.gif

It would be no small miracle if my professor was still alive. My question was intended to be both compliment and jab. I had hoped you would see both were intentional. Blackmon would have. Likening you to Blackmon is certainly more compliment than jab. However, this is the internet. I cannot know if you are the caliber of Blackmon, as I knew him face to face and you on a faceless forum. Oh, well.

No idea if he had any conversions at all.

No idea if my college had safe zones.
You imply that I had feelings of discomfort and insecurity. I did not.

I also feel neither discomfort nor insecurity from your last poke, either.

Thank you for a civil reply!
I apologize if I overreacted to your poke.

MCary has done a bang-up job of answering your original question, but it’s been so long since there’s been a civil discussion on religion I will add a little when you are ready to hear from non-atheists.

Originally Posted By: MerditYes, I appreciate MCary's answer, also.

Let it rip. Open forum.

Great!
First question....
and none will be "smart aleck".

Originally Posted By: MerditWhy would an atheist try to convince someone else that God doesn't exist?

Your first post seems like you start from a position that atheists try to convince others to denounce their faith.

I'm pretty much the only A/A anywhere near where I live, and I only "know" a very few online because I don't need to go looking for any support.

I have never seen even one A/A make any attempt to "convert" a believer away from their beliefs system.

Have you seen otherwise?

I worked with a guy that started to preach to a vender that came in one day

The vender told him he was atheist, and my co worker absolutely lost it, and acted a complete fool

Ended up having to go to HR over the deal, and he was told to basically keep his opinion and beliefs to himself cause there was no excuse for that kind of behavior on the job

Originally Posted By: seasleyI worked with a guy that started to preach to a vender that came in one day

The vender told him he was atheist, and my co worker absolutely lost it, and acted a complete fool

Ended up having to go to HR over the deal, and he was told to basically keep his opinion and beliefs to himself cause there was no excuse for that kind of behavior on the job

Wow.

I have seem similar extremism in other "believers" in my lifetime, but I have never seen it in atheists or agnostics.

The co worker I mentioned above, was let’s just say a special person in his own mind and right.

I have never been around a person of god before, that was so judgmental for self righteous reasons to make thereself look good or how ever he thought and twist the word of god around like he did

He was extremely opinionated, pushy and belligerent at times with his beliefs, and pushed people away more than draw them closer

I remember a time, he walked up to a new hire, middle aged man, and got to talking to him

They talked for a while, and then it started getting loud, and the next thing you know, there in each other’s face

We got them separated, and we asked the new hire what was going on since it was his first day on the job, he said that my religious coworker asked him about where he went to church, why he didn’t go, and then told him he was going to [beeep]

Well, that made the new hire mad, and of coarse, you can see where that ended up

I believe in god, raised in church my whole life, but I was also taught by my grandfather to never engage in conversation that involved politics or religion. I remember him telling me, your asking for trouble when you converse on these two topics, and my grandfather was a deacon of his church for many of years, and said this.

If you ask me my belief, I will tell you, but it also depends on how you approach me on the matter and how you ask

I’ve just seen to many of my co workers get into it over religion conversations before, and it’s just not worth it

There was also a time a co worker that was a preacher that works with me, got into a conversation about Tything with another co worker, that didn’t end up good either, so I have learned from experience, just to avoid it all together

Sometime a jerk is just a jerk. Maybe they are a Christian jerk or an atheist jerk, but their belief system does not define or excuse their bad behavior.

On a side note. Until just recently it was unwise to tell anyone that you were an atheist. It has become a little better is recent times, but its like being gay, some accept it, but nobody wants them flaunting it. Most people know my beliefs but I have a job, I don't get too vocal about them, I want to keep my job. Oh and I'm not gay, not that there's anything wrong with that (footnote: Seinfeld) Christians are still over 80% if the population. Despite claims of persecution by Christians, atheist are still just slightly outnumbered.

I have much more in common with Christians than they know. We are both mostly atheists. Of the 26 major deities in the world right now, they don't believe in 25 of them, me, just one more.

Back