Burris Mtac or Vortex viper

Bluedog

For a coyote rig, 22-250. Which would be a better choice for up to 500 yards realistic shooting.the mtac is 4.5x14 and the viper is 6.5x20.

Thanks,

Bluedog

Ive got the 6.5-20x44 on my 20" AR and its ok. Its fuzzy on the edge at 20x. But it tracks great and returns to zero well. Late evening it doesn't gather light all that great. Ive shot it out to 1200 yards on the AR and it returned to zero at 100 yards perfect.

I don't have a MTAC to compare it to, but the Burris AR 4.5-14x42 is much more clear than the Viper. But Apples to Oranges with the different zoom range.

I like the lower Magnification most of the time for where i hunt but still need some power on the top end for the larger fields.

I vote buy both and let us know which you like the best
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I am leaning towards the mtac because it's on sale right now but also because I don't ever remember getting a 500 yard shot unless the coyote was traveling Mach III in 6th gear. I think the burris will be just about right...it just seems like 6.5x20 is better for rock chucks and prairie rats that hold relatively still and are out there a ways. Thanks for the reply.

Here's a big vote for the Mtac! I've got a 4.5-14 MTac with the ballistic milling reticle. Been running it for a couple years and can tell you its been abused but its standing up to the use well. I took the elevation cap off the day I got the scope mounted and haven't put it back on. I dial for elevation on virtual every shot past 200 yards the scope tracks perfect and returns to zero everytime. Its certainly not top end glass but for the price point it can not be beat. Only complaint is that I wish it was side focus.

Another reason I prefer the Burris is I damaged a different Burris scope last year, It was blatantly my fault I dropped the rifle and bent the objective. Burris replaced the scope with the latest model which had a little nicer features no questions asked free of charge. Lots of optics companies have warranties like this now days but the truly impressive part was from the first phone call to having a brand new scope in hand was 8 days.

I used to be a Vortex guy, I had several but I had problem after problem and although they also have a great warranty, but when you have to use it constantly for manufactures problems you realize there is a reason they have that warranty. I spent more time fighting problems than using the scopes. I'm not 100% anti vortex but there are only a few of their products I'd ever consider owning again.

I agree with fair chases coment to in the mtac. I had one thought I was getting a mildot so I sold it to a buddy and bought a vortex viper pst. I wanted a mildot or moa reticle and illumination. So I sold it and bought the vortex. The vortex has been good but I wouldn’t buy anything below the viper pst line. The mtac was proably still the best deal for the money. Had good glass pretty comparable to the vortex, but the vortex has side focus better turrets so that’s why I switched. The Burris is a good scope still.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zr600I agree with fair chases coment to in the mtac. I had one thought I was getting a mildot so I sold it to a buddy and bought a vortex viper pst. I wanted a mildot or moa reticle and illumination. So I sold it and bought the vortex. The vortex has been good but I wouldn’t buy anything below the viper pst line. The mtac was proably still the best deal for the money. Had good glass pretty comparable to the vortex, but the vortex has side focus better turrets so that’s why I switched. The Burris is a good scope still.

Now the only vortex scope I would own again would be a crossfire or diamondback. Had much better luck with the lower end stuff than I ever did with anything from the Viper line.

I don't include the Gen 2 Razor in this it is on such a different level than other Vortex products it doesn't count here. It also happens to be way outside of my current budget.

I've been around several Vortex Binos and was pleasantly surprised by them as well as the rangefinder but my problems up and down the Viper line were enough to steer me away.

I also believe Vortex is a company that grew way to big way to fast and the products suffered.

Well it didnt go as planned. I did get the burris and it is now on my 22-250 with warne rings. But I also picked up a long range 30mm vortex viper in 4.5x14x44. I had him mount it on my 6.5 Creedmoor Savage 12fv...which i dont even have bullets for yet. They had it marked at 399 when the actual price was 549...so he aold it to me at 399...plus a 5% military discount which made it 379....and I couldnt say no. I will post how it does later...but for now I am waiting for daylight tomorrow to go shoot this 22-250 with the Burris MTAC on it!

I have two Burris MTAC 4.5-14x42 scopes. One is on my CZ 527 17 Hornet and they other is on one of my 17 HMR's. They've been great little scopes and I have no complaints. It would have been great if they were side focus instead of AO but for the money, they're pretty good.

Sighted in with the burris on my 22-250 today. All i can say is wow....i was smacking clay pigeons at 340 yards using the holdover line like it was nothin. Very happy with the burris. Now to get the creedmoor and the viper dialed in!

Glad you got a good one! I've yet to try the Burris but have read a lot in the past months good about it. I played with almost every viper the past few months and in the end went with Sightron. Vortex selling point is their warranty but it seems everyone has to use it and the glass isn't that great. Quite a few people complain that the tracking breaks or messes up somehow after it's been driven down too many back roads. Just happened with my Vortex binos. Rattled till the assembly fell apart. My diamondback HP seemed better than the vipers as far as clarity goes both at 12x and 44mm. I ended up with a sightron. Pretty happy with it so far, much clearer than any vortex and took in good light in the dark! I will say though that if you want a vortex again and since your military too, call optics planet and they'll give you a killer discount. 40% for vortex, 10% for everyone else. They don't combine that savings with other promos so make sure they're not running a better one. I got my Sightron at 10%, week later they had a free gift and 14%.

Burris is really getting popular now. The past year or so my brother has bought 3 of them and really likes the quality for the price. His newest one is the mtac and recently sighted it in. I believe he put it on a 25-06. I might take a harder look at Burris the next time I'm in the market for a scope.

FYI, I just got a Cabelas sales flyer in the mail that shows the Burris MTAC 4.5-14x42 will be $249 for a one day only sale price on Nov. 15th which would be next Wed. They've been on sale for $299 so this would be another $50 off the already sale price.

So for $249 I was the first person into Cabelas this morning and grabbed me the MTAC..Mounted it on my 260 Ackley..

I had a 6x Super Sniper on there that I dearly love,but have,at times,wished I had just a tad more magnification..

Lets hope I come to love the Burris as much as my SS.. It sure does look good though.

yuq5zgg.jpg

I picked up the last Mtac at the Sidney Cabela's this afternoon. I didn't have a ton of time to check it out but it looks good and is lighter than I would have guessed. Now I need another 30 mm mount.

I looked over the Eliminator, looks like a steal for $700.

I have had a chance to shoot with both scopes and I like them both. My 6.5 Creed shoots like a dream with the vortex viper.

That is a nice looking setup Santiam.

Back