Burris Mtac or Vortex viper

Originally Posted By: SantiamSo for $249 I was the first person into Cabelas this morning and grabbed me the MTAC..Mounted it on my 260 Ackley..

I had a 6x Super Sniper on there that I dearly love,but have,at times,wished I had just a tad more magnification..

Lets hope I come to love the Burris as much as my SS.. It sure does look good though.

yuq5zgg.jpg

Looks great! Though I would widen the rings out...better support and the slope of the rail is accurate with about 3.6" spacing...Just an FYI

My buddy hit Cabelas for the scope,3 left after his, said it is going on a prairie dog rifle. The Savage 12 in 204 that he purchased from the Cabelas online sale, less than 500.00 total.

I am pondering whether to tear it down and space the rings out farther..Its shooting pretty good..
wink.gif

Played a lot with the new MTAC today..Actually three of them cause my buddy bought two..

First off,the tracking is repeatable and returns to zero every time..After shooting a tall target test and stretching the gun out at various distances to 1000 yards,twisting up and down,my return to zero , 4 shot group measured just under 3/4 inch..I was very pleased with that..

Now for the bad,and its not all that bad...It seems to track just a tad more than a mil..Dialing up to five mils,and holding on the 100 yard zero,my group was 19.25 inches high...Should have been 18 inches...At 10 mils it was 2.5 inches higher than it should have been..38.5 instead of 36 inches..

So I divide 38.5 into 36 and I get .935...I enter .935 into the elevation correction factor in my shooter program and everything was good after that..Consistent hits out to 900 yards and no more problems...Just for good measure I put my last 2 shots into my 100 yard group and didn't widen it any..

Now both my buddies scopes tracked true so I guess I got the oddball..LOL

I am still quite happy with the scope..They were practically giving them away.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootMy buddy hit Cabelas for the scope,3 left after his, said it is going on a prairie dog rifle. The Savage 12 in 204 that he purchased from the Cabelas online sale, less than 500.00 total.
I bet his new long barreled rig will shoot just as good as one that cost six times as much too. I tried to convince a younger family member who needed a rifle to go that direction, but by his reaction I was just wasting my breath. I have a 12BVSS and it shoots!

Pahntr760, I'm not a math guy, did the ring spacing actually change the moa of the base? Is that what he experienced in the difference of the mils? Or is that a sfp issue with actual magnification of the target image?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootPahntr760, I'm not a math guy, did the ring spacing actually change the moa of the base? Is that what he experienced in the difference of the mils? Or is that a sfp issue with actual magnification of the target image?

His experience was due to minor inconsistencies, mechanically with the scope.

The ring spacing is all about getting the right angle. 3.6" inches is where the slope is as prescribed. Other mathematical types would be able to give you the equation. I sucked at math too.

Can any of u with the mtac look through it outside at nite and see if you can make out the reticle? Was wondering if this would work for a nite hunting rig on a full moon nite?

Originally Posted By: McGrawI think I saw this morning that Cabela’s put this scope back on sale again through Dec2, also the vx2 again.

As well as the MTAC-30 6.5-20x50 for $449.

It has PA adjustment but I believe it's in the form or an AO not side focus but that's still better than none at all.

Back