Photobucket Change

I am one of them that is getting blocked by PB. I do have all the photos on my computer. Problem is that all the post I have made for PM for the PM hunts or Hunter Of The Month now have no photos. It would take me forever to redo them. Stu had to do the banner again because the one I had made is now blocked. I will not give them any money. They will get an email from me though as they are preventing me from opening my pictures. I am done with them. They have been trying to get money for a long time to keep the ads from popping up and they are getting bad. Guess that wasn't working so now they did this to me.

Flickr test

34830446374_2624a2f973_o_d.jpg

Originally Posted By: reb8600I am one of them that is getting blocked by PB. I do have all the photos on my computer. Problem is that all the post I have made for PM for the PM hunts or Hunter Of The Month now have no photos. It would take me forever to redo them. Stu had to do the banner again because the one I had made is now blocked. I will not give them any money. They will get an email from me though as they are preventing me from opening my pictures. I am done with them. They have been trying to get money for a long time to keep the ads from popping up and they are getting bad. Guess that wasn't working so now they did this to me.

They'll get theirs, reb. This has pizzed off a LOT of their customer base and that will come back and bite them in the butt!

I have purchased quite a few of their products over the years; their products were good, made fine gifts, etc, but their customer service has always sucked. NO MORE; I'm done. They are not the
only phone company in town and it's not all that difficult to move your favorite photos to Flickr or another provider.

Downloading complete albums using Stu's link:
Originally Posted By: Stu Farish try this to save off your pics:

http://support.photobucket.com/hc/en-us/articles/201892970-Downloading-Albums

I haven't done it yet, just found it by searching for a way to do it.

is not hard, guess I'm just stupid, but I can look at each picture, just can't find the properties or manage to save individual pictures from my downloaded PB albums. Probably need to be unzipped or something and I don't know how. BUT.....found a simple method to pick and choose favorites (and this is a good opportunity to weed out years of accumulated pictures that are no longer needed).
Hardest part is navigating the obstacles PB is placing in the path!

1) Open PB and whack All ads and other garbage in order to get to the desired album/pic.
2) Create an album w/same name in "My pictures" and open that file
3) Open picture you wish to save in PB, right click and choose "save picture as"
4) Click "Save" and repeat as many pics as you desire to save from that PB album
5) Open Flickr (or desired site) and upload your pictures in a similar named album (that procedure I am sure varies from one provider to the next).
6) You're DONE W/PB once you have moved all desired pictures.
I was going to delete each PB album when done, but have since decided to leave them (all mine are private) as I have realized that you always miss a few you needed and also you can still use PB as a handy index to locate certain pictures if nothing else.
grin.gif

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

7) Once you have moved all the pictures you think you wish to preserve, you can begin to restore any of your posts you would like to. Just open the post, click "edit" and delete the link to first PB blocked picture. Tip: Put cursor on the PB "speedometer" blocking the picture and see if it is/is not a hot link. If hot, you can click on it and it opens the picture that was originally posted (in PB) and you can "save picture as" to "My pictures" and proceed to step (5) above. If not hot, you'll have to choose original picture from memory or another suitable picture.
8) Repeat (7) until all pictures are replace, save changes and you're done.
After the first one or two, you will be surprised at how quickly it goes.

This does take a bit of effort and time, but serves as a training exercise in manipulating the new photo host system chosen AND, would help reb and PM to preserve at least some of the more recent posts, especially the "HOW TO'S, HUNTER Of the MONTH, etc. posts. Not to mention the fact that, in my case at least, it is my way of resisting PB's vile attempt to blackmail their customer base and a great big
tt2.gif
cursing.gif
tt2.gif
to PB!

Regards,
hm

is ANYBODY really stupid enough to pay $400 for the crappy service pb pretends to provide?

i suppose there probably is. those same people that vote straight line democrat probably would.

Stu,

I read your post (2 posts up from this one), about downloading/transferring off of PB.

I would like a little clarification, (PLEASE!!!!), since I don't own my own 'puter & I am a dummy.

Your "simple method"......

This "My pictures" that I would be downloading to...is this the "My pictures" on the 'puter desktop...or do you mean that I can download directly to my new Flickr account, as long as I use the title name that's on the PB album that I am transferring from??????

Will, I'm not Stu, nor do I have .00000001% of his computer knowledge, but I did just go through that exact process.

To upload to Flickr, you need to open the actual picture in "my pictures".

Yes, "My Pictures" referred to is the one on the computer you are using. Assume the public ones, such as at libraries, have not blocked that function?? If that function is available, you could download each picture from photobucket by:
1) Open a file in "my pictures" (I used same name as PB album in order to be something I would recognize).
2)Open album in PB, choose each picture you wish to download (unfortunately, I couldn't figure out any way to do it other than one at a time). Open the picture as in "edit", right click and choose "save picture as".
3)This will open your new file in "my pics" and you left click on "save", which drops the photo in new file.
4) Once all desired pics are in "my pics", you are ready to upload to ???????

I chose Flickr as it seemed pretty simple. One tip I figured out mid-stream is that I wanted my files to be private so as not to allow access of complete file to everyone who views a posted picture. It is much easier to do this as you upload your pictures than to fix it later.....trust me.
blushing.gif

Anyway, once you have established Flickr account,
1)click on the ^ button at top right of page.
2)click blue "photos & videos to upload"
3)click "pictures"
4)choose your new album of pictures downloaded from PB
5)HOLD "CTRL" down, while clicking on all pictures in the file you wish to upload to Flickr.
6)Click "open" ...this will move all selected pictures to Flickr page in preparation to be uploaded.
7) ....Here is where you make files private....To the left of your pictures, you will see a slider bar; slide to bottom and you'll see a [color:#006600]green square labeled "visible to everyone".
Click on the blue "edit" that appears when cursor in place.
8) Choose Private
9) Next You should see Public Searchable, press edit
Choose

10) press the Upload photos button located top right corner of page
11) If you have been successful in blocking all public access a window will appear that shows two squares indicating Private and Hidden with a blue upload button Pressing that button moves the selected pictures to Flickr.

[/quote]
Sorry, I accidentally posted half finished sequence and have now edited. Hope this helps.
This may/may not be the best or most efficient way, but it worked for me:

I tried using Stu's link, and probably due to my computer illiteracy, was unable to access the downloaded PB albums. Since they are compressed files, probably need to "unzip" them but I am totally unfamiliar with how to do that, so I was unable to display the properties of the individual pictures or open them (I could, however view them).

Regards,
hm

Last edited:
I've not done anything with flickr yet.

To download your PB pics, open the album you want to save, then click on Download Album

Follow the prompts. This will creat a single .zip file with all the pics from that album, but not any .gif or videos, and send you an email with a link to download that file.

The link is good for 1 download and only for 12 hours. Download the file & save it to your local drive. To get your pics from it you have to open the .zip file and extract them to where ever you want them.

That gets your pics back to your PC.

I would like to give PB a shout out for pushing me away. I have been telling myself for a LONG time now that I need to start using something else, but never did. The amount of ads made that site unusable. After 15 minutes tonight, I have transferred all my photos to Flickr and am a proud new owner of a Flickr account. Via con Dios Photobucket. Not sure who in their right mind is going to pay for $400 a year to post pics of dead coyotes, but to each their own.

Quote:Download the file & save it to your local drive. To get your pics from it you have to open the .zip file and extract them to where ever you want them.

That's the step I missed!
lol.gif
Thanks, Stu.

Regards.
hm

I like my new avatar, they didn't even make me pay for them to design it!

Photobucket actually managed to break the entire Internet with only a few lines of code. I can see charging for commercial use, but $400 for someone who shares his pics with his family is insane. I van even see charging a nominal fee to new uploads. Cheaper to buy a bunch of flash drives and mail them. I try to post relevant pics if they do a better job than I can do in text alone, but my endless well of knowledge will have to dry up, sorry world
laugh.gif

And with reports that new accounts can hotlink but then get charged after they're reliant,sounds a lot like how a drug dealer works. The first hit is always free.

I'll be downloading all my pics before they go belly up and I lose them forever. I'm not going to delete them as I expect they will revert but I imagine they have definitely stepped off a cliff with this move.

Read about all this mess on another site, while having no
trouble at all with my account. They are apparently going down
their list in screwing people. I suggest to anyone who has not
yet been affected to move everything to a friendly photo
account.

I moved everything, including gif.'s, that I wanted saved to
postimage.org and find it much easier to use. Much faster, too!

The main problem with a forum like this is, even if we start using a new photo hosting site, predatormasters has thousands of pictures posted by members that are hosted on Photobucket. Those pictures will now no longer show up in the threads where they were posted.

This essentially ruins, in many cases the context and flow of the discussion.

Even if you reloaded all of your pictures to another hosting site, it would take you weeks or longer just to go and re-embed the photos into the posts.

They screwed us good this time!
mad.gif

Back