Hornady Magnum Coyote?

Originally Posted By: OKRattlerI'll keep that in mind. I mostly use a rifle so I'm really not up to date on alot of things pertaining to shotguns. It's a pain finding lead shot in the biggest legal sized shot though I've discovered. Most of it is designed for waterfowl hunting. #2 lead shot might do alright I'll just have to see if I can find any to order. Surely inside 40 yards #2's would hammer a coyote or bobcat I'd imagine.

I would have (did) thought the same on the #2's but when I shot a bobcat sitting facing me at 35 yds in the face with a load of 3" #2 (Xfull choke) and then frantically tried to get a 2nd shot as he bolted away into thick cover to my disbelief, I was very disappointed to say the least. I tracked blood for over 100 yds till he hit some standing water and I lost the trail. Sickening I tell ya!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobOriginally Posted By: OKRattlerdebryacresbob,Thanks for taking time to post that. Very interesting. You have alot of time put into that. Honestly I thought Hevi Shot was better than lead. But then again I don't know a whole lot so....

SlickerThanSnot I appreciate that buddy. I'll test those Heavy Magnums out today. I'll probably tape a paper plate to a box to see how good it'll do at 35 or 40 yards. If they won't pattern good I might take you up on that. I just hate for you to have to do that on my behalf especially if they shoot good for you. I'll post back later on and let y'all know how my shotgun does with the Hornady's.

Hevi-Shot is denser than lead.

Hevi-Metal shot is just a little denser than steel.

Only some of the shot in Hevi-Metal loads is Hevi-Metal shot and the rest of it is just steel shot.

The Hevi-Metal shot in Hevi-Metal loads is much smaller than the shot size that it shows on the box.

Hevi-Shot Goose loads are selling for around $45.00 for a box of ten shells. I'll be dang. I never knew the shot was different in the waterfowl shells honestly. I thought it was all non-toxic. I had no idea. I've used Heavi 13 turkey loads with good results but I didn't know the shot was any different in Heavi Metal shells.

They are all non-toxic.

If Hevi-Metal shells had half Hevi-Shot in them they would cost about $60.00 to $70.00 or more for a box of 25 shells.

Well I've learned alot. Especially that Heavy Magnum Coyote loads are junk through a Dead Coyote choke. Missed a 11" circle almost completely at 40 yards. Got two hits.

I'm half tempted to throw these straight in the garbage.

I can't even bring myself to shoot one through the cylinder bore. I'm afraid I'll be chunking every last one of them in the bushes across the road. At least they'd all hit the ground pretty consistently.

Last edited:
So the overall test went pretty well I think. A buddy of mine got a new box of shells.....minus one. Because I'm a caring person. Yay! Go me!
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotthat choke has to much constriction for those hornady shells. Way too much. I think the wad broke in half on the way out. I saw it hit the ground about 5 feet in front of the box.

My buddy has a modified in his shotgun. Maybe they'll work alot better for him. I think I should just stick to rifles. I'm really not a shotgun kind of guy apparently.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OKRattler I think I should just stick to rifles. I'm really not a shotgun kind of guy apparently.

you would be if you killed some coyotes with one. its a whole nother rush.
thumbup.gif

I can believe that. I might have gave those shells to my buddy but we call coyotes together. If they'll pattern out of his gun I'll be packing that. He can use my new 22-250.

Or maybe he'll trade me shotguns....man I gave that dude alot of stuff today. He got a box of Winchester 45 grain JHP's and Hornady Heavy Magnum Coyote. Son of a gun made off like a bandit today.

Last edited:
This thread ain't gonna end this way. I got those shells for the purpose of killin coyotes and that's what will happen. My buddies shotgun is alot better so I'm shootin at least one with it. Then I'm getting a modified choke for my gun.

They had me frustrated out of the Dead Coyote but I will get one with those shells. Ending this thread without doing so is unacceptable.

I was so not a shotgun guy that I never even tried one until this year.

Now I'm always on the lookout for a good shotgun stand.

Killing them at 5 to 15 yards and still coming is just plain fun! So is hosing down a pair that's charging the call. Just too much fun!

- DAA

I have two lined up that I plan on getting with the shotgun. It's real thick brush around there so I know I can get them into range. It's so thick my brother and I walked in there last weekend,I turned on the call and they both jumped up 15 feet from me. Lets put it this way,they were so close I couldn't see anything but fur through my scope.

Shot a Cat at about 25 yards with Dead Coyote 3 1/2" "T"and a Dead Coyote choke. I recovered 7 pellets from the offside hide. The rest were still inside with none exiting. I would like to see penetration at 50 yards. On a heavily furred Coyote I would be concerned.

Choosing a shotgun, choke and load combination isn't as easy as the uninitiated would think. It's no different than buying a rifle and finding that just perfect load for it and then getting a good sight in. It takes some research, money and time spent to work it all out. Once you've ironed it though, it's not only extremely effective within its range limitations, but tons of fun!

I agree it's definitely not just as easy as buying all three and expecting to go out and kill a coyote. I almost had a chance to try those shells out today on a coyote called into right around 35 yards. I wasn't sitting in the right place to get a shot at it. I did however get a coyote at 300 yards with my 22-250 which is brand new so today was somewhat productive.

As derbyacresbob suggested with using #2 shot a head/neck shot is what I'll take when I get the opportunity again. That's the only shot I'll take with a shotgun if at all possible regardless of shot size honestly. I don't know about you guys but I think that's about the best area to hit one with a shotgun. I've seen them take some heat with all sorts of shot sizes and get away at some point or another. Admittedly I've killed way fewer coyotes or predators in general with a shotgun than alot of guys here. So maybe I'm just not as familiar with a shotguns ability to drop a coyote or bobcat as some. But from the experience I do have,shooting them in the face is the way to go.

I bird hunt alot so hitting a small moving target isn't a problem. But to be honest if I call in a coyote or bobcat and it's not closer to 30 yards than 40 I'm going to hesitate to shoot. I don't like wounding stuff and those longer shots are outside of my comfort zone. Maybe once I see it happen and I rack up alot of coyote kills with a shotgun I'll feel more confident. That BB shot just ain't very big so I'm not gonna take a low percentage shot at all.

I don't know if there's a guideline to go by or any way to know but is there a certain percentage of hits that everyone requires their target to have? How many hits from BB shot do y'all reckon it'd take to kill a coyote?

I was in the same boat with Hornady Magnum Coyote. The thing is the wad they use in them, it's made to work better in imp cyl or mdo chokes or so they say. I've had trouble with both and am about ready to just give them up.

Now the Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote shot size "T" with a Carsons Dead Coyote Choke puts them down every time I shoot one 60 yards and under.

My problem here is I hunt some public land where they only allow BB shot or smaller so I'm having trouble finding some BB shot and was hoping the Hornady would work for me.

I finally got a decent pattern or what I consider a pretty good one. Only problem is it shoots low mainly. I've heard good things about Dead Coyote shells. I know guys that use them and have alot of success.

Are they supposed to? Not so much. But every gun shop or sporting good store around here sales 00 or #4 buck if you ask about shotgun shells for coyote huntin. So most people out there are toting that instead completely unaware. That's why that law is mentally challenged.

Maybe it has something to do with my 835 barrel being back bored.But it doesent shoot the HMC load with any of the chokes I have tried either.

Originally Posted By: DAAI was so not a shotgun guy that I never even tried one until this year.

Now I'm always on the lookout for a good shotgun stand.

Killing them at 5 to 15 yards and still coming is just plain fun! So is hosing down a pair that's charging the call. Just too much fun!

- DAA

+1

You can never forget seeing the MURDER in their eyes, just prior to you wasting them!

Back