Hornady Magnum Coyote?

Originally Posted By: Bernie P.Maybe it has something to do with my 835 barrel being back bored.But it doesent shoot the HMC load with any of the chokes I have tried either.

I have a 835 so that must be why I can't seem to get a good pattern with HMC.

I finally broke down and shot one out of my cylinder bore choke. It got 34 hits at 30 yards but mostly shot low. So I figure that'd be sufficient for anything that comes in at 30 yards. Since I shoot for the head with a shotgun some would end up hitting my point of aim and the majority would end up in the chest.

Originally Posted By: OKRattlerI finally broke down and shot one out of my cylinder bore choke. It got 34 hits at 30 yards but mostly shot low. So I figure that'd be sufficient for anything that comes in at 30 yards. Since I shoot for the head with a shotgun some would end up hitting my point of aim and the majority would end up in the chest.

Head on... What happens with broadside shots?

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: OKRattlerI finally broke down and shot one out of my cylinder bore choke. It got 34 hits at 30 yards but mostly shot low. So I figure that'd be sufficient for anything that comes in at 30 yards. Since I shoot for the head with a shotgun some would end up hitting my point of aim and the majority would end up in the chest.

Head on... What happens with broadside shots?

I'd completely miss. Unless I held over its back by about a foot.

Would you be satisfied with a rifle that was sighted in 8" low? I'm betting you wouldn't. I'd fix the issue with your shotgun before I'd take it hunting.

I got to thinking about those Federal Wing Shok shells SlickerThanSnot talked about. I ordered some so we'll see how those do. Might be able to get them to shoot through the Dead Coyote.

There's a few more options out there I'll test out. Everyone that shotguns yotes needs to be following this thread. I might have some shotgun shells up for grabs before this is all over with. Never know might be a package deal,shotgun and choke included.

Last edited:
The process can be frustrating no doubt. Do you have a gun fit issue or is the gun throwing just this one load so low?

It's just this one load that shoots low. Worse out of the Dead Coyote choke but neither is good enough to hunt with. I've patterned Federal #4 buckshot out of it before just to see what it would do and it patterned that stuff really good out to 45 yards. So it's got to just be those Heavy Magnums it doesn't like.

That happens sometimes, a certain load and choke combination can throw a particular load off from point of aim. A shooters gun fit can be off and cause point of impact issues. Many shotguns have shim kits to help alleviate the problem. There are other fixes also. And occasionally the actual gun can have issues. My son had a Winchester SX3 that patterned 30" high and 18" left at 40 yards.

I think my new shotgun shells should be in by now. I need to go pick them up and get them tested out. It would be awesome if they would pattern out of my Dead Coyote choke. I'm ready to bust a coyote or two with my shotgun.

Originally Posted By: OKRattlerI think my new shotgun shells should be in by now. I need to go pick them up and get them tested out. It would be awesome if they would pattern out of my Dead Coyote choke. I'm ready to bust a coyote or two with my shotgun.

Can you tell us which shell did you order and the shot size? I looked at Federal website ahd they list several "Federal Wing Shok" shells and shot size.

I have some public land that only allows rim fire or shotgun with BB and small shot so I'm looking myself. That's the reason I got Hornady Magnum Coyote but can't get them to work in my shotgun.

i think he ordered the BB size. not sure where he ordered them from. i only find *out of stock* and *discontinued* every place i looked.

this...Federal Premium Wing-shok Magnum, P158bb

Last edited:
I shoot old shotguns with fixed chokes and it is a handloading thing for me as some have 2 1/2" chambers. All of mine are combo guns and my goal is a good pattern to 40 yards, if over that I have the rifle barrel. I'm having good luck with 1 1/4oz of copper or nickle plated BB's. I can tighten patterns with wad selection and mylar wraps.

Yeah I ordered the Federal Wing Shok BB. I couldn't find them on the internet anywhere that had them in stock so I went to a gun store. He didn't have any on the shelf so I had some ordered. I'm sure I paid a little more doing it that way but they didn't seem too high priced. I'll ask him where he got them from.

Originally Posted By: AWSI shoot old shotguns with fixed chokes and it is a handloading thing for me as some have 2 1/2" chambers. All of mine are combo guns and my goal is a good pattern to 40 yards, if over that I have the rifle barrel. I'm having good luck with 1 1/4oz of copper or nickle plated BB's. I can tighten patterns with wad selection and mylar wraps. That might be something I get into in the future. I've thought about handloading shotgun shells but other than bird huntin I don't know that it would save me any money. But I could definitely benefit from it in that way and since the shot size I need for coyotes is kind of a booger to track down. Any BB shot I ever see in stores are all steel shot.

I tried some Winchester Varmint X 3" BB today. Had better results through the Dead Coyote choke with 31 hits in a 10" circle at 35 yards. I had 2 hits in a 4" circle inside of the bigger circle. I just added that to simulate a coyotes head which was my point of aim. Might do better yet with my cylinder bore choke.

I found the Hornady loads did not pattern well at all. I'm just going to use what I have left for home defense inside of 15 yards.

Then I found the Federal law enforcement loads of 1Buck and the flight control wad, these patterned really well out to 40 yards for me with an improved cylinder choke.

One of the choke manufacturers that I talked to about the hornady loads said they had tried every choke they had and couldn't get them to shoot good fwiw! Also the hornady loads don't have any buffer material and the Federal loads do, that may be the difference?

OKRattler I was thinking about using the Win BB's. What is the inside diameter of the choke you had best results with? Thanks.

I've patterned Federal #4 buck out of my gun before and it was surprisingly good out to 40 yards. Only problem is we can't use buckshot here for some reason.

geo4061-So far I've just patterned them out of one choke which was my Dead Coyote choke. The only other one I have is a cylinder bore choke and a full which is in a different gun.

An update on the Federal shells I ordered is they weren't the right shells so I paid for nothing that I'll use. SlickerThanSnot was probably pretty confused when I said I got some. Well shoot fire I thought I did until I looked at them. They weren't even the right round count to be even close to being those shells. If I had every dollar I ever spent on things I didn't look at before I bought it....I'd probably buy more stuff without picking it up to look at it. Made me feel like an idiot. I about had myself talked out of even telling anyone they were the wrong shells. I was never tested for attention deficit disorder when I was a kid but I think I have it. I have the ability to read one word or two letters on a box and completely forget about it if there's something going on around me or someone is talking to me.

Last edited:
Back