.22 nosler

Was getting 3,062 with factory VMAX 55's in a 20", lets say i'd get 3,400 from the same 20" with the 22 nosler, that gives me 7.3" less drop at 400. Energy numbers are fairly similar. Not bad but not something i'm going to convert to, maybe a new build i'd consider it as better barrels become available.

They mention almost 25% case capacity increase. Loaded round comparison with their numbers only shows a bit under 14% increase. Comparing empty Nosler and loaded 233 will give almost 25%. That is truly apples to oranges. Not to mention load data is in a 24" tube.

Greg

Originally Posted By: LARUEminatiWas getting 3,062 with factory VMAX 55's in a 20", lets say i'd get 3,400 from the same 20" with the 22 nosler, that gives me 7.3" less drop at 400. Energy numbers are fairly similar. Not bad but not something i'm going to convert to, maybe a new build i'd consider it as better barrels become available.

I can pretty easily exceed 3200 fps with a 55 from my 20" barrel. looking at case compacity the 22 nosler looks identical to the 6.8 case. I can't find what length case is used, is this simply a 6.8 with a rebated rim?

Yes its identical case just a rebated rim.

EDIT: I was wrong.. its acutally a longer case.
22 Nosler is 1.760"
6.8 SPC is 1.676"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NonnieselmanYes its identical case just a rebated rim.

if that is indeed the situation, which it appears to be. it confirms everything I have said about the 4:1 rule and pressures and speeds some are claiming with the 6.8 case. in fact it matches exactly what I said.

on edit what I do think would be cool is a longer grendel case make it the same length as the 6.8 rebate the rim and use a 6.8 bolt with it. it seems like every new case is always based on something else.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NonnieselmanYes its identical case just a rebated rim.

It is longer than the 6.8. It is 1.760 per Nosler. The 6.8 is 1.667. The HAGAR is 1.775.

Greg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MasterBlasterCould you neck it up and set the shoulder back and use it in a 6x6.8?
MB
Sure you could. But why? That's like making 25 Copperhead out of 223.

Greg

Last edited:
This is really tempting. Then this afternoon I worked up a load in my 223 Ackley AR, 24" barrel, 50 gr vmax at 3400 using 8208. 1" groups at 200 yds. My 40 gr load does 3750 fps. I can't imagine that this bigger case can't be loaded a lot hotter than they show?

Originally Posted By: ncyotecallerIf it was a 24" I would be all over it! If it is 3,350 at 18" it should be 3,500 plus with a 24" barrel.

Makes 2 of us. I want a dedicated night vision rifle and a fast 22 would be great.

Its lame, all it is is marketing from nosler....so they can have 22,26,28, 30,33 etc. cals...now they have a complete line of calibers/rifles/ammo all their own....not impressed. Great idea, but not impressed...they are all good quality products,calibers etc. But they are not the next best thing since sliced bread...time may sway that opinion as most of the nosler branded stuff are in their infancy....Sig really seems to be jumping on the "we make everything" bandwagon as well.

Originally Posted By: ncyotecallerIf it was a 24" I would be all over it! If it is 3,350 at 18" it should be 3,500 plus with a 24" barrel.

Yep. Kinda like the 22X6.8 I've been shooting for a couple of years. (VBG)

Greg

Back