Photon center piece

yotehunter243

My photon has the small hole in the lense cap and then about a half in ring around it that looks like it should pop out. But it is not removable. Does this need cut out or do I need to call them to get a new lense?

No, it is removeable, don't cut it. It punches out from the outside to the inside. You may have to take the cover off, open it up and use something like the handle end of a case knife to put pressure on one edge of the insert to get it started without marring it. Once you push it out, you can put it back in at any time if you need to restrict the amount of light for sighting in during daytime.

The hole(s) in the cap act as the aperture setting like the lens on a SLR camera. It increases or decreases your depth of field. The small hole has the greatest depth of field but lets in the least amount of light. Lens cap open has the smallest depth of field and lets in the most light.

Using no lens cap or wide open is similar to the F4 aperture.

The small 1/8" opening is similar to the F22 aperture

The punch out is a compromise in the middle.

What this picture doesn't show is the same holds true in front of the object.

Depth of field
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Focal depth" redirects here. For the seismology term, see Depth of focus (tectonics).
The area within the depth of field appears sharp, while the areas beyond the depth of field appear blurry.

In optics, particularly as it relates to film and photography, depth of field (DOF), also called focus range or effective focus range, is the distance between the nearest and farthest objects in a scene that appear acceptably sharp in an image. Although a lens can precisely focus at only one distance at a time, the decrease in sharpness is gradual on each side of the focused distance, so that within the DOF, the unsharpness is imperceptible under normal viewing conditions.

In some cases, it may be desirable to have the entire image sharp, and a large DOF is appropriate. In other cases, a small DOF may be more effective, emphasizing the subject while de-emphasizing the foreground and background. In cinematography, a large DOF is often called deep focus, and a small DOF is often called shallow focus.

Their are some guys over in the UK who have made up an adapter, removed the existing photon lens and replaced it with a camera lens are getting good results, but the warranty is voided.

Last edited:

Originally Posted By: Bill KingoreIf i remember an earlier conversation doesnt that make the scope clearer at night with that removed and the cover closed?

Yes, with the small area punched out and the lens cover closed, you will get a better focus. I assume that's what you are asking by "clearer."

With the lens cap completely open, the view is more grainy and not as focused. The pin hole is for daytime shooting, but by punching out the section of the lens cap, you will find a much better view at night.

Thank you 6mm yes that's what I was questioning. I know my scope is pretty grainy and even with focusing never real clear I may punch mine out as well and see the difference I don't use it during the day anyhow.

Last night after i got home from hunting i popped mine out gonna go out tonight and give it a whirl..Mine popped out just a gentle push with my thumb..Ive only shot it once in daylight, But i can see where Owen is right easy on easy off to suit the mood.....

You won't find it in the manual. In fact you won't find much of anything in the manual that is useable. The original lens covers were useless, so I'm assuming when Sightmark realized they had to come up with a better cover, they had by then gotten info about some people who were drilling a 7/8" or 22mm hole in Butler creek lens covers and having good results. In any event they came out with the new cover with the punchout and offered to replace any old covers free of charge.

The really good thing is if you don't like it out, you can always put it back in just like it came.

The first time I heard of anyone adjusting the light entering the Photons was from a guy in the UK. He was cutting a 22mm size hole in the center of the lens cap. That was long before Sightmark upgraded to the punch-out lens cap. There was a lot of talk in forums about the lack of clarity / focus (from my own testing as well). Some were using doublers to increase magnification, but it also increased clarity. DoubleUp proved that when he added a doubler. Apparently Sightmark had been listening to people in the field and then redesigned the lens cap.

Would be nice if ATN would listen also pertaining to the X-Sight.

Those same guys in the UK have come up with an adapter that allows you to remove the existing photon lens and replace it with a camera lens. Clarity and magnification are improved.

How long are your batteries lasting in the Photons? I'll be using Eneloops...Our night season finally opened up!

Last edited:

Do you have a link to one of those adapters and lenses? I would like to read up on it.

As to batteries holding up in the Photons, mine doesn't seem to last very long if I use it much. They will also drain when left in the scope. But, for a night's hunt, a guy can make do OK if you don't leave the scope on very long at a time. Carry an extra set or two of batteries and you will be good to go.

Back