New 22-243 Challenge

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeGLS...
What contour and barrel lenght ?

It has a longer straight shank from the action so a strain gauge may be placed.

Greg

Probably gives you extra room if you ever wanted to set the barrel back, rechamber, and keep on going, too.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeGLS...
What contour and barrel lenght ?

It has a longer straight shank from the action so a strain gauge may be placed.

Greg

Probably gives you extra room if you ever wanted to set the barrel back, rechamber, and keep on going, too.
thumbup1.gif

That it does and that is a good thing.

Greg

If a guy does his own gunsmithing work, and time is free, I think set-back can have some benefits. Small benefits, but they may be there. However, if a guy is paying someone else to do it, I don't think there is much value in set-back on these over-bore cartridges like this. You lose a significant chunk of barrel, as you have to move quite a ways ahead of the old chamber to get past the "hard" spot, which in turn gives you diminished velocity. Then the barrel will get shot out again far quicker than originally. Sometimes just shortly after load development.

I tried setbacks on 2-3 barrels, and discovered I enjoyed having a new barrel instead.

What I like about it is you can do a complete rechamber to a different cartridge for little cash. I've seen a few barrels salvaged over the years that way.

Greg

I agree... that is a GREAT re-purposing of an otherwise shot barrel. I built a couple fire-forming barrels like that once-upon a time. It's certainly cheaper to do that and "test" some things.

I still like my new barrels for any serious rifle work though.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: orkanI agree... that is a GREAT re-purposing of an otherwise shot barrel. I built a couple fire-forming barrels like that once-upon a time. It's certainly cheaper to do that and "test" some things.

I still like my new barrels for any serious rifle work though.
wink.gif

I got one with a bad chamber and am going to cut it off an inch and rechamber in a bigger cartridge. I'll go from a 26 to a 25 but I wanted an extra one in that chambering anyway..LOL

This one has exactly five rounds through it so I'm not concerned about the barrel being pre-toasted on this one.

Greg

Originally Posted By: zr600Have you shot this yet GLshooter?

LOL. I'm sitting in my reloading room getting ready to do some Mexican Match 7.62X39 and my mind just got to thinking about a barrel swap. I just finished up a 6X45 and just as I clicked on this I decided to spin up the 22-243.

I have three rounds loaded for chamber size checking. Once I get those done I'll make up 50 cases and I'll go shake it down. With luck I'll have some personal data in two weeks. I'm accelerating my testing for the book now that winter is here. I'm energized to share even at my lower skill levels compared to you guys.

Greg

Just to throw it out to you 22-243 shooters.
I have a set of Redding dies I don't need.
Did the fast 22 thing. They are fun.
Reloader 26 seems to be working well in my friends 22-6mm.with Bergers.

Ok did you ever shoot this thing yet? lol I have my load developed just need to make some more up and gonsite it in. I ended up using h4831sc Winchester cases fed210m primers and 75g amaxes just touching the lands. Shot 3 into a ragged hole at 200 yards.

Now that cooler weather is coming and I don't feel like a lobster in a convection oven I'll start load development. 30 shots should get it done.

Greg

Back