New 22-243 Challenge

GLShooter

After several months of waiting Ritch and I finally received our new Black Hole Savage barrels in 22-243. Lucky dog that he is he is shooting his soonest and I have to finish wringing out my 6X45 before I can mount this one up. It will be a fun one for sure if what I am seeing on the Internet is even close to the truth. Big bullets will be the main interest for me.Any pet load data floating around that you would care to share?

Greg

RL17
CCI 450
75gr Amax
Speed
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: reddog964RL17
CCI 450
75gr Amax
Speed
wink.gif

They make a 22 caliber 105 grain VLD?

Greg

Two things at once aint good... I fixed it for ya
wink.gif

I shot 22-243 for several years, but all my focus was on the light bullets, and specifically the 52SMK. I did run some 75Amax and various other 60gr+ loads though, and boy they sure make it happen.

For powder, you'll do well to look at Varget and H4350. I had a lot of luck with varget. 40.5gr behind a 52SMK is a sub-400yd laser beam in one of my barrels. You should have absolutely no problem getting the heavy bullets up to 3400fps.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeThat's funny Kevin.
I read the dang thing and did not even notice..lol

Lol.. I had just got off the phone with TT.. He's got the 105s @ 3229fps shooting in the 3's.. he's pretty stoked..

Buy the way i got a peak at your stuff today and i dig the barrel
wink.gif
well everything else too
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: reddog964Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeThat's funny Kevin.
I read the dang thing and did not even notice..lol

Lol.. I had just got off the phone with TT.. He's got the 105s @ 3229fps shooting in the 3's.. he's pretty stoked..

Buy the way i got a peak at your stuff today and i dig the barrel
wink.gif
well everything else too
wink.gif

Nice !

Hope mine is just as good !

Sorry Greg not trying to hijack your thread.

Some people are RL17 haters but it is your friend in the 22-243 with the heavy's! i've shot mine in the 30s to 104s degree range with no issues, i use Lapua brass and i also turn the necks just enough for a clean up and i run the standard forester BR dies.. Where your in the heat most the time start @ 37grs and find your max..

LOL. I understand chasing rabbits. I am as guilty as the next guy with some experience. Thanks for the suggestion. I have some 17.

Greg

Must be using necked down Palma brass is my guess?

Just so you will have some more options to ponder I will add Reloder 26/Reloder 23 and Reloder 16
I used these in the 22 Creedmoor which similar in case capacity so no reason should'nt do fine. Reloder 16 is very close to Reloder 17
I have moved to the 80gr AMax and now am playing with 80.5 gr Berger. The 75gr shot good but the 80gr shoots even better from my rifle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zr600What is the barrel life on these? Not this caliper has my eye also.

The more you shoot it, the faster it wears out.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: zr600What is the barrel life on these? Not this caliper has my eye also. 800 to 1200rnds... depending upon what your definition of "wore out" is. You don't buy fast 22cal's if you are worried about barrels.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeGLS...
What contour and barrel lenght ?

26" heavy varmint varirnt called Ritch's profile by Black Hole. It has a longer straight shank from the action so a strain gauge may be placed.

Greg

Back