Savage 93 17 HMR Missfires???

My son got a new Savage hummer last fall and had feed and misfires. He just got it back and hasn't had time to try it out . They did some work to it . Jim

Originally Posted By: bradleyI have had the same problem. I was told to try different ammo. It is a lot better now. I have about 400 rounds through it. I had trouble with CCI and now shoot remigton. I have only had it do it once in the last 100 shots. It could have been the ammo or just smoother because of firing. have patience and see if it gets better. If not send it in to savage.

^^ This.

I've had 2 out of 550-600 or so misfire after I got new ammo. I turned the round 180 degrees to strike the other side of the primer on those two, and they fired. It's common in rimfires to have a few rounds like this in a batch. The Hornady ammo works best in my Savage 17 HMR. Before I was using remington, and I'd have about 1 misfire per 50 rounds. Switched to Hornady and haven't looked back.

If you are using Winchester rounds they are notorious for misfires of their rimfire cartridges both in the .22 and the .17 hmr. Try CCI. No problems with CCI or Hornady here in Montana.

Originally Posted By: phantom phixer If you are using Winchester rounds they are notorious for misfires of their rimfire cartridges both in the .22 and the .17 hmr. Try CCI. No problems with CCI or Hornady here in Montana.

A) This is a 2 year old thread

B) CCI makes ALL 17 HMR ammo

C) Welcome to PM.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: pahntr760

not anymore.

winchester is making its own these days. have been for about 2 years i believe.

Originally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: pahntr760

not anymore.

winchester is making its own these days. have been for about 2 years i believe.

Are you sure of that? I know Winchester makes all the 17 WSM ammo, regardless of the name or color of the box, but I wasn't aware anyone but CCI made 17 HMR ammo.

This is for pahntr760 Yeah the thread may be 2 years old-so what.If CCI makes all .17 hmr ammo why does HMR stand for HORNADY magnum rimfire ? How come it's not called CCIMR then? I don't give a [beeep] who makes the Winchester rounds, they are still crap. I can tell by your attitude you'r from South Dickota.

Last edited:
its called "Hornady magnum rimfire" because that's who designed the cartridge. likewise "30-06 remington" ammo is made by a lot more folks than just remington, because the cartridge name has nothing to do with the producer of the ammo.

the 17hmr ammo may be produced by CCI (and winchester), but that's what is referred to in the USA as co-manufacturing. Lots of companies and industries do it, not just firearm folks. You may have heard it referred to as private labeling of products instead of co-manufacturing, but same principal.

You dont need to spend millions of dollars investing in infrastructure to make amazing ice cream, just find a company that already makes good quality product, give them your recipe, product tolerance specs & labeling and let them do the packaging and manufacturing for your company while you now just have to deal with the sales and distribution (and profits!).
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Plant.Oneits called "Hornady magnum rimfire" because that's who designed the cartridge. likewise "30-06 remington" ammo is made by a lot more folks than just remington, because the cartridge name has nothing to do with the producer of the ammo.

the 17hmr ammo may be produced by CCI (and winchester), but that's what is referred to in the USA as co-manufacturing. Lots of companies and industries do it, not just firearm folks. You may have heard it referred to as private labeling of products instead of co-manufacturing, but same principal.

You dont need to spend millions of dollars investing in infrastructure to make amazing ice cream, just find a company that already makes good quality product, give them your recipe, product tolerance specs & labeling and let them do the packaging and manufacturing for your company while you now just have to deal with the sales and distribution (and profits!).
smile.gif

I just bought a $1700 mattress set up from Saatva last week. They do not own a manufacturing plant but do have five manufacturing plants that do theirs on an contract bases.

Ever heard of a Honda Passport and an Isuzu Rodeo? Same vehicle just different stickers.

Just like a 250 Savage. Savage never produced ammunition that I know of. Or the 264 LBC. Les never made a round of commercial ammunition in his life. The 25X45 Sharps is produced by Federal for them.

Marketing is marketing. From EAB on the 17 HM2: Both Hornady and CCI brands of 17 HM2 ammunition are manufactured by CCI and have specifically warned against firing their ammo in our Ruger 10/22 17 HM2 Conversions:

Remington HM2 was produced by Eley and the actual cartridge itself was done using the ELEY priming system and Hornady bullets.

Greg

Thank you for the clarification. I am aware of all that but I have had too many misfires with Winchester .17 HMR and .22 long rifle where other brands of ammo function correctly in the same weapon. The question still remains that if CCI is the exclusive manufacturer of .17 HMR why is it now not called .17 CCIMR. CCI probably owns the Winchester plant that produces the .17 and .22 so the Winchester ammo is not made at the same plant as the CCI or Hornady brand names. And originally the 30-06 was known as 30-06 Springfield.

Last edited:
Because they didn't design the cartridge. Cci has been on record, the only difference in the ammo was the color of the tip they put in the bullet.

There are now more bullet types being used than in the beginning, but cci still doesnt own any plants but there own.

Originally Posted By: phantom phixerThis is for pahntr760 Yeah the thread may be 2 years old-so what.If CCI makes all .17 hmr ammo why does HMR stand for HORNADY magnum rimfire ? How come it's not called CCIMR then? I don't give a [beeep] who makes the Winchester rounds, they are still crap. I can tell by your attitude you'r from South Dickota.

Actually, you're wrong on many aspects of this post. But carry on...and thicken your skin if that post upset you so much.

Originally Posted By: phantom phixerAnd originally the 30-06 was known as 30-06 Springfield.

No, actually the 30-06 Springfield was originally designated 30 gov't '06. It replaced the 30-03 Springfield. This case (30-03 Sprg) was the parent case for the '06 variant.

Originally Posted By: phantom phixerAs ex military my skin is plenty thick so bring it on.

Seeing as you are already griping about folks giving legitimate information, I doubt it.

BTW, I am currently in the military...I don't see how that's relevant.

And how can someone prior service not know what MOA is?

Back