7mm Short action wildcats?

Rock Knocker

In the next year or two I figure I'm going to shoot out my 260AI barrel and now I'm thinking about stepping it up a little.

What's out there for 7mm short action wildcats? I want a 7mm with a thump and I love the sharp shoulders of the 260AI, it really keeps maintaining brass easy. I'm not worried about fire forming or anything. I'm just thinking about future projects.

The Sherman Short is an option that fits your requirement, as does the 7 SAUM...but considering you didn't mention changing the bolt face, you aren't going to get much more thump than what you have.
Stepping up to a 7mm bullet won't get you any speed advantage...and you're not going to get any ballistic advantage unless you run a bullet significantly heavier, in which case...you won't see any real advantage until you are shooting beyond what most are interested in.

Considering what you have now, your best bet is to either keep it, or add a magnum bolt face to your arsenal and run the SAUM or a wildcat based on that kind of case.

My brother has a model 70 in 7mm WSM that is really accurate but it might be getting hard to find brass for these days.

A new bolt face is expected. I'm not doing the volume shooting like I used to do almost exclusively at 600 yard Fclass. I'm shooting much less but at much farther, I usually have to walk the 900+ yards to see my hits, and I am basically doing more practice for more practical shooting. I would like a cartridge I have more long range big game hunting confidence in, not that I would ever be hunting at these ranges but an elk at 400 to 500 yards should get more than 140gr pill.

This 260AI in a 30" barrel is a real rocket ship but I've seen some 7mms do some cool stuff. I'm considering the standard short magnums I just figured someone has made a wildcat with one by now and for the price of fire forming and a reamer I would jump all over it, the barrel would last me years anyways.

I wouldn't be constricted to short action magazine length really, this would be going into a single shot Savage target action, I sure haven't tried but I may be able to shove a 300 magnum into it. I was curious about the short magnums but I suppose those cases are already close to maxed out.

Originally Posted By: xphunterRK,
What is your max distance when hunting in ideal conditions?

Honestly, about 50 yards with a bow. Besides coyotes I don't remember the last time I've rifle hunted. This would almost exclusively be for low volume target shooting at ranges from 800-1300 yards, 1600 if I'm lucky. BUT if the occasion ever does pop up I want to be comfortable taking an elk at 600 yards, not only hitting it but with some authority.

7-08 isn't going to have the speeds I am looking for. I would love to be shooting 180gr bullets at 3000fps+ with a 28-30 inch barrel. I'm not looking for a perfect long range hunting rifle, this gun would be a real bear in the mountains but the type of target shooting is more along those lines than Fclass with spotter, wind flags, long shooting strings etc... I want to set a target out at 1000+ yards and have an easy time hitting it first shot without all the gizmos and gadgets a lot of guys use. I want to stay away from the huge 7RUM and STW but even if my barrel life is only 1000 rounds the barrel will last years.

Lately with the type of shooting I've been doing I put more stock in the first shot than all the rest. If I can set a 5 gallon bucket of water at 1200 yards and spot my first shot destroying the bucket I will be as happy as can be and walk the 1200 yards pick up the bucket and head home.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ackleyman7-o8 AI or 7 x 57 AI

wyatts mag box
With a single shot target action it changes things up.

Plenty of research to do, but I have time. I really like the 40 degrees shoulder of most Ackleys, I've gotten used to not trimming brass. With annealing I think some of my 260 brass is at it's tenth reload, I lost track at six reloads.

I'm just going to have to get busy wearing this barrel out.

Jeez, that is just unreal, I can't believe it's with a handgun too! Great shooting XP.

When I built this 260AI it really fit the bill for what I was doing with it but things have changed a little. Now I want to build a smaller lighter 260AI on a repeater action for deer size game and shooting at 600 yards and less. I really like this savage target action with a 30" barrel but for the "no holds barred" large size of this rifle I know I can squeeze better long range performance out of it with a 7mm but stay away from the ungodly large .30 calibers.

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerJeez, that is just unreal, I can't believe it's with a handgun too! Great shooting XP.
I really like this savage target action with a 30" barrel but for the "no holds barred" large size of this rifle I know I can squeeze better long range performance out of it with a 7mm but stay away from the ungodly large .30 calibers.

Thanks.
I would go with a 8T or a 8.5T and throat it for either the 180 Hybrid or the 195 Hybrid, depending on which chambering you go with. If you don't mind a belt, the 7 Rem Mag AI will work. The WSM will shine better with a SS, since you don't have to limit OAL with it.
For what you are wanting, the LRM or Dakota should be close to meeting your needs. The Dakota will out run the LRM

Ernie

WOW O WOW
scared.gif

Back