Bad Winchester 22-250 Brass

mbaysinger89

I bought a bag of new Winchester 22-250 brass yesterday. Sized them up this evening. Out of 55 there are 5 pieces that have spit necks. I've never encountered this before. Do you think it's worth calling Winchester for?

I would I guess can't hurt to see what they say.m would think a big company like Winchester would stand behind there product.

I bought a bag of Winchester 223 brass that, when seating the primers I thought

they would just fall out. There was very little resistance and I thought I could

tap the brass on the table and have the primer fall out. They stayed in, I'm done with Winchester

brass. I was using a Lee hand primer.

Call them, they will want you to send in the brass for evaluation. I didn't cause I already loaded

them up, and didn't want the hassle.

Never had that problem but have a bag of 243 brass that has all the case mouths cut crooked. Look to be trimmed at an angle. That will make you lose some faith in them...

Once I bought a bag of Winchester 300wm brass. Out of 50, maybe 13 had primer pockets that weren't egg shaped. Ended up taking the brass back to the store with a hand primer, we opened the other 4 bags and out of the 250 pieces, had about 75 that would accept a primer. Winchester sent the store 5 new bags of brass and I got to keep the 75 good ones, + a new bag of 50 that were good to go

Had a box of Remington Brass 500 ct. that had several split necks. Never had that problem before either. You would think they would have better Quality Control than that. I didn't call Remington about it then but if it happened now I would. I would call Winchester and let them know. Good Luck to You.

I went through and prepped a bag of winchester 7mm brass the other day. In the bag of 50, I found 3 bad pieces of brass. All three had split necks. Not really a big deal if you ask me. You buy cheap, you get cheap. Not saying winchester brass is bad brass to use, it's one of my favorites for the 7mm actually. But you do get what you pay for. For the price winchester sells their brass for compared to the other manufactures, you're not going to get the quality control that norma, hornady, and others offer. Doesn't make their brass any worse than anyone else, but it does mean your not going to get a box of cases that are ready to be loaded.

I am thinking that we may be getting the culls that do not go into loading ammo? I see very little brass on the shelves from any manufacturer other than Lapua and Norma.

I was pretty disappointed with it. The case mouths had a "burr" around them far enough back I couldn't trim it off and had to spend about 30 seconds on the power prep tool to work them off.

What's the deal with the primers? I was about to buy a few hundred.

I recently opened a bag of Remington .204 brass that I bought several years ago, and it was the worst brass I've ever seen. At first, I found several pieces with folds in the shoulder, and just canned them. But I found several that had the mouths flared out, looked like a flower of some kind. Then found some pieces that were really short.
I called Remington and they wanted me to send the rest of the bag in for inspection. Plus, they send me a shipping label. Got a letter that said they had inspected the brass and didn't find any imperfections!! But, they said that they would send me a check for $37, which they did. So, I have to say the bag I had was some kind of fluke because I've used a LOT of Remington brass. They were good enough to pay for the brass, so I have no complaints. Guess sometimes the companies machines, or quality control fall a little short.

You can make the winchester brass into some good brass if you're patient. That's why there's a big price difference between winchester brass and nolser, and hornady. To make winchester brass good, I first uniform the primer pockets so that they all have the same depth primer pocket. I then deburr the inside and outside of the flash hole. Then I will run all of the brass through a FL sizing die, without pushing the shoulder back at all. I will then trim all of the brass, and chamfer and deburr the case mouth, and call it good. The winchester brass seems to be plenty soft, and lasts me quite a bit of firings in my 7mm. If anyone has any 7mm rem mag winchester brass they don't want, I'll buy it from you.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: mbaysinger89I was pretty disappointed with it. The case mouths had a "burr" around them far enough back I couldn't trim it off and had to spend about 30 seconds on the power prep tool to work them off.

What's the deal with the primers? I was about to buy a few hundred.
PM sent.

If you fellows are having that had of time with new brass, maybe getting some once fired or range brass and sorting thru them may be a better way to go. You would think that buying new brass shouldn't be that kind of a problem. I still have some bags of Winchester brass, but it is all older stuff ( i mean many years old) i haven't got to loading yet. Too bad i always liked the Winchester brass. At my age i guess i won't be buying much brass i already don't have unless i get a different caliber rifle.

several years ago i had new winchester brass that would not fit in the shell holder. in 270 and in 308.
case necks out of square is common, out of round is a given, variable length expected.

i also have a 1x fired lapua 22-250 with a split neck.

I have bought a lot of Winchester brass of late for both my 222 and 220 Swift. I have not had any problems with it. I have used Winchester brass for years without problems. Do I have split neck at times, yes, but that was about 4-5 reloads and I shoot mine on the hot side.
What I do know is that Winchester brass is hard to find right now.

Contact Winchester, they need to know about the problem! Even with used brass that was bought from a dealer, should be right. I got some re-manufactured 223 brass a while back. Primer holes weren't decrimped and some casing weren't trimmed to correct length. Manufacture did make it right though.

most new brass is inconsistent in length, and often the mouths are not square. i have seen new brass vary up to .015 in length.

Ive bought Winchester brass and have tried to put a primer in and the primer wouldnt go in all the way and I would have to work like heck to get the brass out of primer gun.. I wonder if that was my problem not the right shape to fit the primer to go in straight.

Back