10mm glock 40 or mares leg for truck gun

Redrock

I want a gun that stays in the truck full time that is concealable and easy to carry when out of the truck so i dont have to run back and grab it if i see somthing. but has some range and knock down power. For yotes and hogs. For when im working on our ranch. Im looking at a glock 10mm or henry or rossi mares leg in 44 mag or 357. I carry a carbine 30-30 94 my grandpa gave me at the moment. But ive decided to retire it and im tired of carrying it back and forth at nght. And want somthing smaller. I do have nice hunting rifles but there no good when i have to run back and get em while working on fence or on a tractor. Thanks to all

I see the Mares Leg being the worst of all options. I would either have a good pistol - or a good rifle. The Mares Leg is neither.

Yeah the new glock 40 10mm mos with a trijicon rmr and factory six inch barrel is really what i have in mind

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lhitchcoxThe Mare's Leg might remind us of great 60s TV, but as a useful firearm it is totally lacking.

Oh now I dont know. I spect you could kill a coyote with it.

If he will let you get close enough to him to beat him to death with it that is.

I'd take the Glock. I don't see much use for a Mares Leg. I do have a couple of lever actions, but they have a shoulder stock.

A buddy of mine has a Rossi Mares Leg. It'd work for really close range stuff,I mean really close. It's really not that accurate.

He's going through a cowboy stage for some reason. I told him he needs to get him a miniature pony and one of those straw cowboy hats with the star and chin strap on it.lol If you saw the guy I'm talking about you'd laugh.

That G40 looks pretty neat. I have a G20. Overall, if I was to do it again I would get a G29. The primary reason is because I find it annoying sitting down weather it is strong side, cross draw, or chest holster. In each position it is just about an inch too long to be comfortable. If you plan to just leave it in the truck and not wear it while driving then the fullsize guns are easier to shoot.

The 29 and 20 both have conversion kits for .22lr or 40 sw. Both work great and are a ton of fun. I suspect the G40 will eventually have them too. Then the glock is good for bunnies and stuff too.

I forget who makes it, but my buddy has a kit for his g20 that has a 16" barrel and a butt to fire from the shoulder. He takes it hog hunting with us. For the price though, could just buy another rifle.

I vote G20, too. Mine is accurate, and any predator sized target at 50 yards, or so, is about to have a bad day.

As for carrying in and out of a vehicle, I agree most holsters are not going to do well for the G20. I have a Comp-Tac Infidel(IWB), for my G27, that I kidney carry, and I go in and out of vehicles all day with that, but a G27 is much smaller than the G20. The best option I have found, is a good thigh holster. I have a Specter Gear(no longer in production), that hangs off just about any belt, and has a fast disconnect snap, so either unsnap it, or leave it on, as long as the vehicle has the space where your thigh sits.

Squeeze

For close quarters shooting, 35 yards +/-, especially when engaging a potential moving target, the G-20 (10mm) is hard to beat when loaded with the right ammo...

As to carrying, in and out of a vehicle, I prefer a semi-cross draw on the belt....Normally out of the way for comfort, but accessible when seated or standing...

Originally Posted By: RedrockYeah the new glock 40 10mm mos with a trijicon rmr and factory six inch barrel is really what i have in mind

We have a winner!

My Glock 20 is my everyday/everywhere trail companion. I pack a G-19 when at work or in town.

Originally Posted By: Timberbeast7I have a Glock 20SF as a bear gun and general around the ranch gun and carry it in a Diamond D Guide's Choice Holster . Awesome setup and it's not on my hip in the way of backpack straps or uncomfortable when driving.

I have the same gun and holster and love it. Perfect rig IMHO ...

Now that i e decided on a 10mm im shopping around and the glock 40mos is $700.00 and the sig p220 is a couple hundred more and i love the look and like sigs. I Own both. the Glock has alot more fire power but i dont think ill get much more than 8 shots on most game. Glock has the red dot option. Sig has adjustible night sights. And i like the sig rail better. Im gonna shoulder holster most likley. I know i know. Sorry to be a pita. Again thanks to all

Even [beeep] I loved "Wanted Dead or Alive" the hog leg is IMHO not a good choice. The Glock in 10mm or .357 Sig would be great. Heck a lightweight AR carbine would do everything you want, is durable, versatile, far more accurate, and harder hitting.
My heart says the Glock, my head says the AR.
BTW unless you have a quality gun safe in your truck, never leave a firearm unattended.

For hunting purposes the 10mm is a better choice. Check the ballasics, 10mm has higher muzzle enegry and muzzle velocity than the .45 ACP. What difference does the rail make? You can put a light on either. I have a G20 and Sig 220 and the Sig stays by the bed, the Glock follows me to the field.

I'm guessing he is referring to the new Sig 10mm pistol. I'm sure it's a fine pistol. Too fine for the uses I put my G20 SF to work at.
smile.gif
Anywho... a G20 tale. A couple years ago during our alternative methods deer season I shot a buck with a muzzleloader smack dab on the shoulder with a bullet too lightly constructed for the muzzleloader velocities. The bullet shredded apart on the shoulder and the buck hauled butt across the ridge above me nearly out of sight. Then the buck turned back and down the side of the hill running hard for the deepest part of a very deep dark holler. I knew something was wrong with the shot and when the buck turned downhill I also realized his course was gonna take him right by me about 30 yards away. I set the rifle against a tree and pulled my G20 out of the Diamond D holster and leveled the 10mm on that wounded buck running flat out and dodging through the timber. My first 10mm shot missed (found it later in a tree), my second missed but turned the bucks angle to less quartering on to more broadside. Third shot put a 200 gr. XTP at the back of the ribs through the lungs. The buck spun hard and went down, then raised his head. I probably shouldn't have but I was warmed up now and in a shooting mood so I gave him a shot to the base of the ear. That is not a taxidermist friendly shot placement but very instantly terminal.

Well, there's my learn something new today...I didn't know Sig was making a 10mm P220. With that in mind I still prefer the G20SF, more rounds in the magazine, I prefer striker fire vs. DA/SA for this situation, Diamond D builds holsters for the G20 en mass because of the popularity of the G20 as a wilderness/backup gun, and I like the shear "element-proofness" of Glocks. GC, I bet you were feeling like a hotshot after smoking a running deer with your G20, lol!

Back