Ruger American 260 Rem limited edition for dealers

lawdog616

I bought this gun last week.........dealer told me that it was limited to dealers only. 260 rem with threaded barrel.........I contacted Ruger to see how many they made and was told that this was special edition for dealers and that they don't give out the total number produced, but that they are very limited.....anyone have any background shooting this caliber and what are your thoughts.

Its basically the same as 6.5 CM but actually can outperform it in velocities a little handload wise. 6.5 bullets have one of the best BCs for long range up to 1000 yards in a non magnum caliber. 300 WM has about the same flight path but much more recoil and powder and a .260. Awsome you got a value rifle in that caliber. I am a big Remington guy and wish they would promote their own caliber more lol in the 700 lineup or model 7. They have released a few more rifles in the chambering but not near as much as needed to promote it more.

Very good medium game round as well, and drops some of the least of any caliber within 500 yards...think you will really enjoy it. Will really need to handload to make it cost effective and have most diversity in loads. I'd get a decent scope since your gun can be a nice Deer size game rifle and target shooting.

If you do handload .260 is basically a shortened .308 and can be made from .308 brass.

Someday is a dream for me to get a .260 in a model 7 I think or a 40x .260 target rifle
smile.gif

Good luck!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice it is much appreciated....I do intend to deer hunt with it and have started with 120 grain Federal Premium Nosler Ballistic tips and also 120 grain Fusion bonded...the fusion cost me 32.99 a box and the Federal cost about 25.50 a box.

Originally Posted By: lawdog616Thanks for the advice it is much appreciated....I do intend to deer hunt with it and have started with 120 grain Federal Premium Nosler Ballistic tips and also 120 grain Fusion bonded...the fusion cost me 32.99 a box and the Federal cost about 25.50 a box.

No problem! Thats not too bad, its just kinda a off caliber so factory ammo more expensive. Those will be good starters and you will have some brass to get going if you ever handload, also great deer loads

Last edited:
Let us know how that shoots, the 260 is a great caliber! I almost bought an American in 6.5 cm but I already have a 260 in a DPMS barreled AR so I would like to keep to that cartridge instead.

Thanks for posting, I might be looking for one of those rifles now.

I bought a .223 Ruger American Predator on a Black Friday sale this weekend, and just bought a .260 Predator on line today for $315 shipped. Couldn't pass on it for the price, been wanting a .260 for a while.

Nice to have options, hope they both shoot good.

I also have a .223 rem in Ruger American that I bought a few weeks ago. Plan on that being my coyote gun to go with my 22-250 HR.

The 260 is a killer. That long bullet makes for a lot of penetration on tough game. I am not saying to take it grizzly hunting, but I use mine for black bear no problem. I like Nosler Partition bullets and in this caliber the Hornady SST 140 grain is a very good choice for hunting. I have had very good luck with Remington pointed soft point core-lokt 140's as well. It's a nice wild boar caliber too, no problem smashing thru that front shoulder and getting to the vitals. Most of the time the bullet will expend just about all of it's energy on the animal and just pop thru the other side. Nice to have a pass thru, but honestly I have never had any animal {deer bear boar} go more than 50 yards.

Great caliber! I sure love mine. It has never had a factory round shot through it, and is capable of shooting a long ways!

Thanks folks, I appreciate all the comments and advise. Keep it coming. I put a NIKON Buckmaster scope on it. Picked up a bi pod for my 223 and the 260, both are Ruger Americans. For a low price, they are nice guns. Need to pick up extra mags for each.

Originally Posted By: stmcelroy........ and just bought a .260 Predator on line today for $315 shipped.

Where did you find it (the 260 Predator model) online? I can't seem to locate them.

Originally Posted By: HidalgoOriginally Posted By: stmcelroy........ and just bought a .260 Predator on line today for $315 shipped.

Where did you find it (the 260 Predator model) online? I can't seem to locate them.

Extremely limited run given to dealers as a promotional gift. They did the same thing last year with a Ruger American Predator in a 25-06 they can be found on Gun Broker and Guns America but you gotta be lucky to even get a chance on one.

Originally Posted By: FairChase93Originally Posted By: HidalgoOriginally Posted By: stmcelroy........ and just bought a .260 Predator on line today for $315 shipped.

Extremely limited run given to dealers as a promotional gift. They did the same thing last year with a Ruger American Predator in a 25-06 they can be found on Gun Broker and Guns America but you gotta be lucky to even get a chance on one.

You missed my point. I'll buy every Ruger American PREDATOR that I can find NIB for $315. Every one of them.

Originally Posted By: HidalgoOriginally Posted By: stmcelroy........ and just bought a .260 Predator on line today for $315 shipped.

Whittaker's Guns had them for $299, plus $12.50 shipping and $3 for the optional insurance.

They are out but expecting more back in soon.

Showed up at my dealers today, picking it up after work.

Ruger Predator .260

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lawdog616Thanks folks, I appreciate all the comments and advise. Keep it coming. I put a NIKON Buckmaster scope on it. Picked up a bi pod for my 223 and the 260, both are Ruger Americans. For a low price, they are nice guns. Need to pick up extra mags for each.

I've heard that installing a sling stud 2" or so behind the factory one will help with stock flexing when using a bipod. I'm going to do this on my .260 and .223 this week.

My local dealer has one 260 rem Ruger American left on shelf.....He is moving a lot of the Ruger Americans, I just purchased a .22 cal with threaded barrel......figured I would add one or two more guns before Obama shuts us down...lol

I've got the dealer exclusive 2014 American Predator in 25/06 and the 2015 American Predator in .260 Rem. I'm lucky enough to work part time in my Buddy's gun shop and he's given me one each year for sales excellence. Anyway both shoot m.o.a. With factory ammo and near half m.o.a. with handloads. Triggers are adjustable and the rifles flat out perform. Dollar for dollar they may be the best center fire rifles on the market.

Well the dealer I got my Ruger American Predator in 260 rem had 2 of them when I bought mine a couple years ago. a few months ago I stopped in and he still had the second one, so I bought it. Serial #'s are 3 apart. Mounted Nikon scopes on both and sighted them in for deer with different ammo.................love them rugers, got 4 of them now.

I'm not sure what American (223) i have but it is a dealler exclusive with 22" barrel and camo stock with threaded barrel. Haven't shot it but it looks good.

Back