Pulsar problems

bleas

I bought the Pulsar Hd19a about 2 months ago and loved it. The weather here in Indiana hasn't been too bad this winter until yesterday when we got our first snow. Last night I went out to call a spot and it was 32 degrees. While I walk to the stand I use the thermal to scan with. So after I got to my location I cranked up the call and started scanning. After about 5 min into the stand I noticed the image in the top left hand corner started to crystalize. Kinda looked like a big cat scratch in the corner that was bright white. So I turned the unit off and turned it back on. Looked normal for about 15 seconds and the lines started creeping back into the screen again. I had the unit set to white hot. When I switch to black hot the lines would turn black. So today while inside the house I turned the unit on and the lines were gone. Thought maybe it was just a glitch. Until tonight when I went out I got clear to the stand scanning and after about 2 min on stand the lines came back but 10 times worse. The creeper clear across the screen except for the top right corner and they were so bad I couldn't see anything. Note tonight's temp was 15 degrees and they were worse so it has to do with the cold and the unit. Anyone else have this issue when calling in the cold? I'm sending it in Monday if I can to be repaired if possible. Also.hopefully pulsars turn around time on repairs are as good as FoxPro. Season is in and I don't want to be down without it.

No, haven't had that problem. There is a notation about using the unit outside in the cold and bringing it inside to use, but it doesn't seem like going from inside to outside should make any condensation difference. Turnaround time should be about a week. Hope it works out quickly for you. Without the thermal I don't even want to go calling anymore.

Don't take this the wrong way bleas, but I truly hope that's an isolated incident. I plan to try and wear mine out this week and that would be a show stopper for me. I wish you all the luck getting it taken care of and quickly. Please keep us informed on how it goes.

Steve.

I also hope it's isolated! I will keep everyone updated on what happens. Calling today to get a repair oder started. Hopefully get it back fairly quickly since I haven't had a very good yet so far.

So after talking to Night Goggles about my issue they wanted me to do a calibration to see if that helped. I did the calibration and didn't change it. So they gave me the number to the company that they get the thermal from. I spoke to technical support there. After I told him what was happening he said well its because it's an LCD screen. The screen was freezing below freezing Temps outside. He said I needed the HD19 which apparently has the LED screen. He also told me that the specs listed on the model were wrong. He said it shows the unit being able to operate at 5 degrees above freezing and said that is incorrect. So I called night goggles back and explained to them my situation. They are supposed to call me back with an answer because I can't use this unit in indiana

Well, I have to say that that sucks. I just looked at the specs again and it actually says -4F. May be strapping a hand warmer to this rig.

That's disheartening... I've been saving for an XD50A and if it can't be used below freezing then it's a no-go. Couldn't really justify the 50A, so no way I'm moving up to the OLED for another grand.

Well I'm working with night goggles which is working with their distributor (sellmark). Just got an email from night goggles that says I might have to move up to the hd19s for another $800 which isn't going to happen

Wrap a few hand warmers around the unit after the problem appears and see if it goes away. Seems to be a cold weather issue to me.

I email pulsar, i havent followed up with the quote but im not going to be thrilled with 800$ to upgrade from something that should work within their specs. I love my 19a just would have tried to get the one that would FOR SURE work in Iowas cold weather. Looks like im babying this thing.

When I bought my XD50 the cold weather was the determining factor. My Rep told me straight out the LCD screen would be a problem below freezing temps. I have not been out much since it turned cold but plan to start back up in a week or so.

I've been out in 26-28 degree weather with my xd50a and haven't seen any issues with it. I wouldn't expect any either. Not sure what's going on with yours, but LCD screens ought to work in reasonably cold weather. Makes me wonder if there might be a power level issue somewhere. Cold would affect the batteries output and if there is a borderline issue there, then that might show up pretty quickly at the screen. Also, if there is some internal resistance that limits power to the lcd screen then that would sure show up in the colder temperatures. Whatever the case, you sure shouldn't be having trouble with your monocular Bleas. I would be for sending it back to Pulsar. It sure is not working right in my estimation.

So I looked through the manual last night that covers a lot if not all of the Pulsar "A" thermal units. It says all of the them have the LCD display and they all work to 5 degrees farenheit. So either someone screwed the specs up or mine is screwed up. And like I said, my unit will work for approximately 20-25 min in the cold before the problem starts to occur on the screen. So basically once the cold temp penetrates the unit far enough inside to cause the problem. I was forwarded this image from Night Goggles which is from Sellmark to verify what my screen looks like. And its exactly what it looked like when the temp was around 30 degrees.

Here is what my screen looks like after about 25 min in 30 degree temps. When temps are in the teens the white lines come clear across the screen about 2/3rds of the way

Here is the picture of the manual specs

Hi ya bleas, I talked with Kristen from NGI and instructed her to get you out a shipping label so it can go back to the engineers from the manufacturer to have a look-see. Of course you ain't paying for shipping, that ain't gonna happen.
smile.gif

The unit should be working at the 5deg F (per their spec), but I will personally check that as well.

Vic

Victor, that is really good of you to do that. I'm kinda curious Bleas, if you force a nuc will that picture change for you? It almost looks like it needs a calibration. When a thermal is in need of calibration it will sometimes start going fuzzy and white in areas.

That is the reason I bought the thermal through night goggles. They take care of you since they are the sister company of tnvc. Vic, I do appreciate all the help that Kristen and now you have provided. I would like to also let everyone know that is reading this that Kristen has emailed me several times keeping me in the loop of what is going on and hasn't left me hanging. Ive received 2-3 emails a day from Kristen with updates since I contacted them about the problem.

1lobo I did do a calibration on it and it didn't change anything. That's the first thing they had me try. I'm now going to send the unit back to see what the issue is.

Pretty good service from night goggles. I'm a little disappointed in the reaction from Sightmark though. I think they should have been a little more proactive in resolving your issue. It is nice that you've got allies in Vic and Kristen. Hope you get the issue resolved. All in all, I've had pretty good luck with Sightmark products. They've generally been pretty responsive to customers from what I've heard. I hope you get your issue resolved quickly. There are too many coyotes out there that need your attention.

Originally Posted By: bleasThat is the reason I bought the thermal through night goggles. They take care of you since they are the sister company of tnvc. Vic, I do appreciate all the help that Kristen and now you have provided. I would like to also let everyone know that is reading this that Kristen has emailed me several times keeping me in the loop of what is going on and hasn't left me hanging. Ive received 2-3 emails a day from Kristen with updates since I contacted them about the problem.

1lobo I did do a calibration on it and it didn't change anything. That's the first thing they had me try. I'm now going to send the unit back to see what the issue is.

Thanks for the kind words bleas. I will let Kristen know as well. A few know over the years, this is exactly why I got started in the NV business 10 years ago now. A certain NV company left me hanging on a 7 thousand dollar Raptor at that time.

My staff knows even to this very day, I will never EVER leave anyone hanging and just simply pawn them off to a manufacturer etc. Yes, over the years other companies have said we're this or that (never understand it when you grow what others come up with)...But it never mattered to me personally, as long as my customers are ALWAYS taken care of. As long as I'm the man at the helm, I will always still answer the phones, and never leave anyone hanging like I was 10 years ago.

Thanks again and Happy Thanksgiving! I have a lot to be thankful for.

Vic

I have an HD38S and have used it below zero many times with no problem. I am in Indiana as well, and hunt with mine all year so I think you have a malfunctioning screen. Vic and Kristen are great. They took care of me on a PVS4 through TVNC and the whole customer service team was great. I will admit I can be a pain and they went above and beyond for me. Randy

Back