Favorite 243 win bullet and powder

Originally Posted By: CalCoyoteA 243 is not enough for deer...Yeah right. A few years back my cousin gut shot a forked horn Blacktail with his Weatherby 300 mag. I was not there but according to him he had to track it for slightly over 1/2 a mile before he finally caught up to it, and even then it was not dead yet (it took him over 2 hours of tracking to find it). The animal died a slow agonizing death due to POOR SHOT PLACEMENT. The moral of the story is that even with a super high powered rifle, shot placement is still critical. A well aimed shot in the vitals with a 243 with the right bullet will give you a very dead deer that will result in a very short tracking job. On the other hand, a poorly placed shot with a large caliber magnum will likely result in a wounded animal that might be difficult to find and involve the animal to endure prolonged suffering. Just my opinion. you shouldn't have to track any animal that you make a good shot on....

CalCoyote, maybe I misread your text about a short tracking job, after making a good shot on a deer, if I did?, sorry to offend.

In the last 2 years ive shot a 9 point 202 pound buck, and a 8 point 206 pound buck BOTH with a .243 using 95gr SST over 4064. Both ran about 15 yards then piled up dead on the spot. My Sister recieved a cow moose permit last year, and used my .243 loaded with Barnes 85gr ttsx over imr4064, and it was DRT. Her facebook page has the video as well=) ALSO there is a huge following of the .243 win in our black bear community, due to the low recoil during tree stand use. Im typicly not one to make "matter of fact" statements, but anyone who claims the .243 is handycaped for NA game, has either A. Never used one, or B. is simply a poor shot. As for Coyotes, I have found that the 62gr varmint grenade over, you guessed it, imr4064 has produced dime sized entry holes with no exit. All yotes are DRT. Our bait spot is 150 yards from shooting location, So i cant say much ragarding sub 100 yard terminal balistics.

Last edited:
Back