best shooting bench??? for prairie dogs

Depending on your budget, the Caldwell Stable Table is a great deal at $180.00 shipped to your door with Amazon Prime (if you don't have Prime, do a 30-day free trial).

Eric
cool.gif

Last edited:
I like the Lifetime tables.
I have 3 of them and I strongly recommend their tables.
I started off with the large 2 man table and used that for years.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Biggame+...lifetime+tables

Then I bought a small folding table, because it was so small.

But they have come out with a NEW folding table with real tall legs.
It's just right for shooting because it's so high up. You don't need to lean over to look through the scope.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/lifetime-4-...B.Qb7mpOlg.sRxA

You should take a real close look at that one.
I think I paid $29 at the Lifetime store near my house.
CH

I recently purchased a Caldwell Stable Table and I'm very impressed with it. The one adjustable leg sure is nice for slightly uneven ground and it's easy to set up/take down. The adjustable height for the seat is a nice feature as well. Plus it rotates.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: Eric_MayerDepending on your budget, the Caldwell Stable Table is a great deal at $180.00 shipped to your door with Amazon Prime (if you don't have Prime, do a 30-day free trial).

Eric
cool.gif

I will also say that this truly is a great deal on a great bench. I just used mine again today on ground squirrels. It is SO cool just to sit in one spot and be able to spin around 360 degrees and shoot without ever having to move your bench and chair. And because it is three legged it is always solid. And your weight holds it down. It takes less than 5 minutes to set it up and to take it down. I bought the carry bag for mine too so that all of it stays together when you are not using it.

My other benches are gathering dust in my storage shed. I am guessing that they are going to get a lot more dusty than they are now.

Is there enough room on the Caldwell table for a bipod rifle and rear bag under the stock?
Are they left handed shooter friendly?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lefty SRHIs there enough room on the Caldwell table for a bipod rifle and rear bag under the stock?
Are they left handed shooter friendly?

Sure is. Plenty of room. I wish that I knew how to post pictures of my setup.

They guy that I go prairie dog shooting with every year is on this forum as "1up5down" and he is a lefty. When I get off of it and he wants to use it (we had two benches but we only used the Caldwell after the first day) it takes him 5 seconds to adjust it for left handed shooting.

We both loved the turntable platform of the bench so much that we just took turns using it. He would spot and I would shoot or he would shoot and I would spot. Worked great. I am so glad that I bought it. You will be too I feel sure.

Get one that has 3 legs for stability on uneven ground, and a table/seat that rotates. The Caldwell looks like a good one. Mine's from about 20yrs ago with the same basic design. If you don't like the table it's easy to make a new one with whatever contour you want. Places where it's legal I'd set up in the back of the truck and even be able to shoot over the cab. It's much nicer when the bore line is higher off the ground.

Here's my typical set-up:
post-2-0-34609000-1395887267.jpg

And with my other front rest:
10956463_1448835875408504_1877682744_n.jpg

Another:
11137745_822036434547803_418114185_n.jpg

It even fits my AR15s with no problem.

Eric
cool.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1up5downHere is a pic of Russ's bench shooting pdogs last year.

That's it. And that is Dave's huge 18 lb 6 mm sitting on top of it. That gun dwarfs the bench a bit because it so big but the table still handled it just fine. And that rig enabled me to make a 500+ yard prairie dog kill with it the very first time that I pulled the trigger on it. Quite an outfit that was.

hey Eric, what's the brand of front rest in the picture? It has an interesting adjustment cable.

Last edited:
IAyoteHNTR called it.
thumbup1.gif
It is the Grizzly Bald Eagle. I would have preferred the TargetShooting.com Model 500 rifle rest (one-piece, very compact and stable), but I couldn't afford it at the time. There is a great tutorial on the net where someone removed the cable and attached the adjustment knob to the side of the rest where the cable plugs in. I'll be doing that switch as soon as the shooting slows down this summer.

Eric
cool.gif

Beware, the amazon 30 day free trial enrolls you automatically in prime unless you contact them later to specifically decline.otherwise you are enrolled without further notice. Happened to my wife and mother. Caldwell is a decnet bench for the money. So many others are heavy, hard to pack and finger pinchers.

I bought a Caldwell Stable Table a few months and will take it on it's maiden voyage tomorrow. It looks like a decent shooting table, especially for the money. I'll know more after a 2 day pd hunt.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Back