FLIR LS-XR Scout II Review

Originally Posted By: wompaOriginally Posted By: SkyPupOriginally Posted By: wompaHopefully they update the LS64's and eliminate the washout as well. Tempted to try installing the LS-XR firmware on the 64, but don't want to brick it.

IMG_4646_zpsyfapbsj6.jpg

The LS-64 will get updated, but in the meantime DO NOT try to use the LS-XR update as the video display drivers are completely different and you will kill your LS-64. Wait until the new updates are applied for the LS-64/PS-32 series....

I put the LS64 in the pic for you Skypup
wink.gif

Some good looking Yotes right there compared to the scrawny ones I've been seeing here locally!

Steady beef diet will do that. Lately its been plenty of fat females, with the price of cattle they become very costly vermin. It is not hard if you have livestock to justify good equipment & any means necessary to exterminate the problem.

Originally Posted By: wompaSteady beef diet will do that. Lately its been plenty of fat females, with the price of cattle they become very costly vermin. It is not hard if you have livestock to justify good equipment & any means necessary to exterminate the problem.

You got that right, good equipment pays for itself!

Originally Posted By: 899How do I figure out if my ls64 has the latest firmware and where do I get new firmware

To date, there have been no new updates for the LS-64 but soon there will be, primarily on Auto Gain Control, gray scale gamma correction, and new InstaAlert settings....

Originally Posted By: SkyPupOriginally Posted By: 899How do I figure out if my ls64 has the latest firmware and where do I get new firmware

To date, there have been no new updates for the LS-64 but soon there will be, primarily on Auto Gain Control, gray scale gamma correction, and new InstaAlert settings....

Mr Skypup,

I picked up a gently used LS64 and was wondering if you can let us know when the update becomes available for the LS64?

I went from a PS24 to the LS64 and what an incredible difference!!!!

THank you!

I sure will, it will affect the gamma correction and the InstaAlert levels contrast setting and diminish the "white out" that occurs under some climate conditions.

I basically never leave the house without mine on a night hunt.

So how much of a difference would you guys say there is between the ps32 and the lsxr or ls64. I've got the 32 now but an considering selling it and picking up one of the others because of the washout at longer distances.

Originally Posted By: McallisterSo how much of a difference would you guys say there is between the ps32 and the lsxr or ls64. I've got the 32 now but an considering selling it and picking up one of the others because of the washout at longer distances.

It is about 4-6 times more powerful, not to mention the frame refresh rate is 30Hz instead of 9Hz, so it is smooth like a movie camera.

It will take some time to learn how to put all that increased power to good use, but that will all come in good time once you get out and start using it.

Here is a video from my LS-XR in the backyard of some deer feeding on the the lichens and moss on a recently downed limb at night:

Compare that to what you know about your PS-32.

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisOriginally Posted By: SkyPupOriginally Posted By: 899How do I figure out if my ls64 has the latest firmware and where do I get new firmware

Mr Skypup,

I picked up a gently used LS64 and was wondering if you can let us know when the update becomes available for the LS64?

THank you!

Mr.P
You lucky dog!! How gently did it impact your wallet???LOL!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BAYSTATE YOTEOriginally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisOriginally Posted By: SkyPupOriginally Posted By: 899How do I figure out if my ls64 has the latest firmware and where do I get new firmware

Mr Skypup,

THank you!

Mr.P

He will quickly forget about the price he paid once he has a pile of fur down!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: BAYSTATE YOTEOriginally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisOriginally Posted By: SkyPupOriginally Posted By: 899How do I figure out if my ls64 has the latest firmware and where do I get new firmware

Mr Skypup,

THank you!

Mr.P

Let's just say it put a few thousand or a little more dents in my wallet:)

That is pretty impressive. Thanks skypup. How far away would you say they were? What I'm having a problem doing with my 32 is picking out the coyotes when they're 300 yards or so away on the tree line

Those deer started out at 50 yards and moved out to 125 yards.

You will more than double the range of your PS-32, I see hogs at 1,000 yards, coyotes 600-800 yards at night. Often times it makes for a long stalk....

I know this is an older thread but I have a couple of questions. I have a FLIR LS64 and RS64 rifle scope. There is a huge difference in the contrast and quality of image between them. The scope is far better. But Skypup stated they are the same cores. What is the difference is it just software? It seems I can get more detail and contrast out of the rifle scope.

Would the FLIR LS-XR improve this? Is it only firmware related? I had [beeep] and high water updating to a wrong firmware which made it reset brightness each time I powered the unit down and up. I finally got a hold of the older firmware after days of hassle with FLIR support. Nothing good on their site. And it's back to old days.

Was it ever updated?

I appreciate any advice. A buddy wants to buy mine from me (I payed 5500) and new ones only 3500! So almost tempting..I could offset more than half of cost and sell him mine.

Thx

I'm also currently waiting on a FLIR/DJI Zenmuse-XT for my inspire drone. Now that was a price hit, but imagine thermal imagery from the air. I did the American thing and got a loan and bit the bullet, have always dreamed of having thermal drone!
smile.gif

If you download Their firmware files it's very cryptic the file names and what applies to LS64. The LSX one? Not LSXR of course..who knows. And it doesn't appear new

See that’s whats interesting. Firmware is similar but looks more updates number than the one available for ls64! Is this true? Is the ls-xr more like rs64? My rs has a far better image and contrast trying to figure out why

Is a similar update available for the ls64? Related to the ls-xr. I think they stopped supporting the ls64 right after I bought it nearly

Last edited:
Back