FLIR LS-XR Scout II Review

Originally Posted By: SkyPupThe one that you tried out did not have the upgraded video drivers with the gamma correction for the improved gray scale gradients, the improved automatic gain control (AGC) to the DDE software or the improved higher resolution and the improved InstaAlert settings....

That is true..... If the unit is that much improved then I may go back to the LS-XR. I have no ties to any brand and if the LS-XR firmware update has made the unit more suitable for me than the first one I tried then FLIR will get my money. I will wait until the IR Defense Patrol is released and have both units shipped to me for a comparison. The one I like best is the one I will keep.

Regarding the contrast mode of the LS-XR......If InstAlert is the contrast adjustment then it only functions in white hot mode and only has 5 settings. Native and I1-I4.

In the interim I have purchased a Pulsar HD19A since I had sold my PS32. In the interest of keeping this thread on track I will just say I have no complaints after field testing this unit.

You really need to spend a few nights with each in the woods where you hunt at night with them to get a better understanding of the strengths and weakness of each instrument.

Just looking though one off your back porch does not do justice to the utility of the instrument.

I often read reviews based on first impressions of display "image quality, image quality, image quality"....which is fine if that is all you are looking for and know how to use.

But in the field image quality is one of many different factors you will learn to use that ends up putting you on target, especially with a handheld/helmet mounted thermal scanner for detection purposes.

Thanks for the video SkyPup. Very nice.

I have to say, your videos always make me smile. Your music selection always conjures images of a mad scientist with wild hair, big wide eyes, and an evil grin on his face.

After your done videoing this, I can imagine you returning to your dungeon lab, where one would find numerous beakers with various colors of smoke floating out of them, tesla coils placed around the room, and shelves lined with jars containing the heads and other anatomical parts of various creatures. And in the middle of the room would be a large lab table with a giant boar body, with the head, legs, and feet of other selected creatures sewn on.

I think maybe you should change your name from SkyPup to The Mad Scientist.

Either way, thanks for the video from the new tool. It looks like a very effective and improved product from FLIR.

Regards,

G.

Nice vid Skypup
smile.gif

I can definetely say Flir LS-XR is very well upgraded and now it's a perfect device for me.

I couldn't ask for more. I totally agree with Skypup that InstAlert is a MUST unless you are hunting on open fields. Otherways you can easily get confused by objects, stones etc laying around.

InstAlert saves you alot of time,efford and headaches. If it ain't Red just ignore it ....

Btw yesterday I shot my first boar with my LS-XR after the update but it happened so fast I couldnt even film it with the Flir LS-XR.

Here it is , quite young . Look where I shot him

WnyTM6.jpg

Originally Posted By: doublecheeseHere it is , quite young . Look where I shot him

WnyTM6.jpg

Nice to see the LS-XR is working for well for you now DC.

BTW....Those hogs you hunt are wicked looking.

Last edited:
His boars are just plain wicked, I would love to shoot some of them but sure glad those kind are not around here, ours are bad enough, but his look to be really bad news!

Nice shot placement too, DC!

First confirmed kill with the new FLIR LS-XR, never would have gotten him without it!

Even though I was hiking with a helmet mounted FLIR M-24 640 core, I could not tell if this thermal signature was a dead log or what though the dense underbrush. Stood around for a few minutes trying to figure out what I was looking at and if it was indeed alive but could not tell with the White Hot or Black Hot of the M-24?

Turned on the LS-XR over the other eye and INSTANTLY saw RED HOT, then I knew it could be a target, although it could also be a deer!

Had to move around quite a bit to get a good ID and kill angle on its head with the T-70, but the LS-XR took home the bacon!

HK9%20Hog.jpg

HK9%20Hog.jpg

For owners of the new FLIR LS-XR, there is now a new downloadable update to improve image quality/contrast significantly through different gamma correction settings in the high resolution video drivers for the display screen, as well as improved long range performance, and also improved and different InstaAlert settings.

It is here -> Scout II - LS - Ocean Scout Software Update:

http://www.flir.com/hunting-outdoor/display/?id=53129

It sure was nice to use the InstaAlert on the LS-XR to find this downed black boar hog in the thick overgrown underbrush last night at 3AM, would not have found him and be preparing Easter Ham without it!

HK%20Hog%2010.jpg

Sky Pup mentioned that the FLIR LS-64 monocular video
output connections can be utilized by fabricating a
home-made dongle. I did this some time ago.

Here are 2 Dropbox URLs for photos of the dongle I made:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60102282/MPB_3570-A.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60102282/MPB_3546-A.jpg

I also home-brewed a wireless (2.4 GHz) adapter dongle
to send video to a nearby shirt-pocket-sized digital
video recorder. The wireless range is pretty limited
but records clear video from the LS-64 out to 50 or 60 feet.

Originally Posted By: Micanopy MikeSky Pup mentioned that the FLIR LS-64 monocular video
output connections can be utilized by fabricating a
home-made dongle. I did this some time ago.

Here are 2 Dropbox URLs for photos of the dongle I made:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60102282/MPB_3570-A.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60102282/MPB_3546-A.jpg

I also home-brewed a wireless (2.4 GHz) adapter dongle
to send video to a nearby shirt-pocket-sized digital
video recorder. The wireless range is pretty limited
but records clear video from the LS-64 out to 50 or 60 feet.

That is a great setup, Mike, I particularly like your wireless setup!

Very innovative!
thumbup1.gif

Since I've had some PMs of how to install and upgrade the new updated firmware and software, here are the general instructions:

First off, when you download the update, read the instruction files that come included in the download and follow those instructions.

First off you need a PC and a USB to USB Mini cable to hook up your LS-XR your charging cable works for this.

Leave the LS-XR OFF when plugging into computer.

Download the LS-XR USER GUI zip file and unzip and follow the instruction in the Word Document file. Install the LS-XR USER GUI onto your computer.

Also download the firmware update dfu. file and save it somewhere easy to get to.

The latest dfu. file contains the new update as well as all previous updates put out prior to now.

Run the User GUI with your LS-XR plugged ed in and turned off.

Once GUI is running, turn on your LS-XR and allow the USB drivers to install 100%, this may take several minutes and is extremely important, DO NOT proceed until the new USB drivers have been completely installed onto your computer to allow communication with your LS-XR.

After drivers are fully installed 3-4 minutes later, follow the instructions and install the new dfu. file using the GUI.

You can also change the automatic shutoff time.

It is simple.

http://www.flir.com/hunting-outdoor/display/?id=53129

Hopefully they update the LS64's and eliminate the washout as well. Tempted to try installing the LS-XR firmware on the 64, but don't want to brick it.

IMG_4646_zpsyfapbsj6.jpg

I had a slight bricking experience on the LS64, about 3-4 months ago.

I was having battery problems on my LS64, so I wanted to re-install the latest firmware over the latest firmware just incase. Because my version was the latest version, LS64 would NOT let me install the latest firmware again on the LS64.

So I decided to first downgrade my LS64 and install the latest firmware once more. Suddenly something went wrong (can't remember what happened), everything went white and there was no response what so ever. The LS64 would Not even turn off. Then I run the software installation once more and it connected to LS64 eventhough the screen was white and installed the update. The everything was normal again.

Originally Posted By: wompaHopefully they update the LS64's and eliminate the washout as well. Tempted to try installing the LS-XR firmware on the 64, but don't want to brick it.

IMG_4646_zpsyfapbsj6.jpg

The LS-64 will get updated, but in the meantime DO NOT try to use the LS-XR update as the video display drivers are completely different and you will kill your LS-64. Wait until the new updates are applied for the LS-64/PS-32 series....

Originally Posted By: SkyPupOriginally Posted By: wompaHopefully they update the LS64's and eliminate the washout as well. Tempted to try installing the LS-XR firmware on the 64, but don't want to brick it.

IMG_4646_zpsyfapbsj6.jpg

The LS-64 will get updated, but in the meantime DO NOT try to use the LS-XR update as the video display drivers are completely different and you will kill your LS-64. Wait until the new updates are applied for the LS-64/PS-32 series....

I put the LS64 in the pic for you Skypup
wink.gif

Back