Top 5 most Overrated Rifle Cartridges

Originally Posted By: 220_SwiftWell now he just pee'd in my Post Toasties but that is ok I still think the 220 Swift is the coolest 22 caliber ever!!!!

And of course, you are right.

Show me any other 80 year old that can still open up a family size can of whuppass. Long live the king!

And as far as I'm concerned, anyone that doesn't like the .220 Swift must still be waiting for their other testicle to drop.

And I too like the .458 Win Mag. Since when aint 5,000 ft lbs of energy not enough for anything on this planet?

And I speak from experience too. I never lost a single ground squirrel that I shot with the one that I had. Never needed more than one shot either. Deadly it was.

Originally Posted By: Yellowhammer
I might have subbed the 204 Ruger for the .223.

I'll agree with that. I've always thought the 204 was way overrated.

How does anyone bash the 223? Awesome short to mid range caliber for vermin. The other four just aren't my cup of tea, but that still doesn't make them overrated. Just cause I drive a mustang and not a camaro doesn't mean the camaro is overrated. Just one mans opinion is all this article is about..

I think hes just trying to ruffle feathers for no reason other than sales. The title is actually inappropriate for the article in my opinion.

I have never understood why anyone would write something like that article...I get some of it, but at the end of the day who gives a GD???? Personally, I like cartridges that are efficient. Like another poster said, "How much powder do you have to burn to kill something???" which is why I will take a 7mm-08 over a Magnum, but that's just me and when it comes to a favorite caliber it's that persons business.
He uses a lot of if's...like "if the Army hadn't adopted the 223...."
If the dog hadn't stopped to drop a bomb in the middle of the road....he'd have made to the other side now wouldn't he????

I pretty much agree.Why the .223 ever came out I have no idea.We already had both .222 and .222 Mag.Both inherently more accurate and close enough in velocity/energy why bother.

Originally Posted By: Bernie P.I pretty much agree.Why the .223 ever came out I have no idea.We already had both .222 and .222 Mag.Both inherently more accurate and close enough in velocity/energy why bother.

Pretty much like the 260 the 6.5 creedmoor and the 6.5x47L although I do have a 6.5x47l:)

God bless America... The land of the freedom of speech and the land where the easiest way to ensure "hits" is to write something that you know will p!ss someone off, rather than creating something genuinely interesting...

There's a lot of humor in it to me - what he has said about the lack of importance of the velocity advantage of the 300wby and the 220swift over the 300wm and the 22-250, respectively, he's touted as the killing blow to the 458win mag and the 223rem as compared to the 458 Lott and the 22-250, again, respectively. C'mon man, either 200fps means something or it doesn't.

I did particularly find the 458win mag section humorous. Written well enough - a pogo stick on a reloading press? - eh, I can give him credit for trying to entertain at least, but frankly, it alludes that he hasn't reloaded for the 458win mag at least in the last 20yrs. I was one of the folks that bought a 458win mag and thought I needed something more, then reamed it out to 458Lott, and really wasn't very impressed by it, then went back to the Win Mag. Then again, I suppose it's worth commenting that I'm more of a 416 fan (Rigby, Ruger, Rem, in that order) than a 458 fan, but I still love my big bores (so funny to call a 416 a "mid bore").

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: VarminterrorGod bless America... The land of the freedom of speech and the land where the easiest way to ensure "hits" is to write something that you know will p!ss someone off, rather than creating something genuinely interesting...

There's a lot of humor in it to me - what he has said about the lack of importance of the velocity advantage of the 300wby and the 220swift over the 300wm and the 22-250, respectively, he's touted as the killing blow to the 458win mag and the 223rem as compared to the 458 Lott and the 22-250, again, respectively. C'mon man, either 200fps means something or it doesn't.

I did particularly find the 458win mag section humorous. Written well enough - a pogo stick on a reloading press? - eh, I can give him credit for trying to entertain at least, but frankly, it alludes that he hasn't reloaded for the 458win mag at least in the last 20yrs. I was one of the folks that bought a 458win mag and thought I needed something more, then reamed it out to 458Lott, and really wasn't very impressed by it, then went back to the Win Mag. Then again, I suppose it's worth commenting that I'm more of a 416 fan (Rigby, Ruger, Rem, in that order) than a 458 fan, but I still love my big bores (so funny to call a 416 a "mid bore").

I gotta agree with pretty much all of this.

We pretty much have velocity selections in each bullet diameter to suit our personal needs or tastes. What's bad about that? Or, for the larger bore sizes, the ability to drive a heavier bullet at similar velocities than a smaller case with the same bore. And again, what is bad about that?

On the 458wm, it seems he never graduated beyond IMR 3013, never tried H4895 or the 458wm king, AA2230. [And probably never loaded and shot a Lott to full potential either!]

I reload the 458wm to 2135fps in my double rifle, a platform which limits load selection because of the need to load to match a double rifle's regulation - the relationship of the barrels to each other, which is set for one original load, though others most often can be found with some trial and error. Personally, I find the 458wm, 500grs @ 2135fps out of a 10 1/2lb rifle, about all of the recoil I want, and it is a true stopping cartridge. My load is not near manual max and provides a heavier bullet - 500grs vs. 480grs, at equal or greater actual velocity thanf rifles in the grand father of all stopping cartridges, the 450NE 3 1/4". [Nominal velocity of the 450 NE 3 1/4" is 2150, but out of a 28" barrel. Typical barrels range from 24-26", though 28" barrels are occasionally seen.]

I don't care for a couple of the other cartridges the writer lists, but that is just immaterial as [beeep], they may suit another shooter perfectly.

JPK

Almost as stupid as the article are the comments at the bottom. A real indicator of the level of intelligence that poses as experts on the internet.

I agree the whole premise of the article is ridiculous, the internet really provides an opportunity for people to express their opinions as if they were experts that should be listened to.

Originally Posted By: biggen0_8Almost as stupid as the article are the comments at the bottom. A real indicator of the level of intelligence that poses as experts on the internet.

I agree the whole premise of the article is ridiculous, the internet really provides an opportunity for people to express their opinions as if they were experts that should be listened to.

Lots of people think that is what the internet is for. Hence forums.

We all shoot what we like and getting all lathered up over what someone else thinks is the definitive answer to anything is funny in itself.

he only wrote the article to see how many pages of posts it would generate on predator masters.
thumbup1.gif
tt2.gif

Originally Posted By: biggen0_8Almost as stupid as the article are the comments at the bottom. A real indicator of the level of intelligence that poses as experts on the internet.

The internet is no different than any other library. This has been proven back to before the earth was still considered flat.

One must still do his due dilligence in determining fact from BS. Just like it has been since the beginning of written communication.

As for the article, the same has probably been written 100s of times by 100s of "gunwriters". If you don't like it, you can always seek out a copy of "Cartridges We Can Do Without" by Craig Boddington, revision #365.

I gave up on gun rags years ago. Their informational value is at an all time low IMO. As are the IQs of the writers..........

In 1915 if you had a .22lr, a 30-30, 30-06 and 12 ga. shotgun you could effectively hunt and kill every animal in North America.

In 2015, those same 4 will do the same thing, why the heck ya'll buy all that overated stuff?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: YellowhammerIn 1915 if you had a .22lr, a 30-30, 30-06 and 12 ga. shotgun you could effectively hunt and kill every animal in North America.

In 2015, those same 4 will do the same thing, why the heck ya'll buy all that overated stuff?
smile.gif

That's an easy one:

Marketing!
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunI gave up on gun rags years ago. Their informational value is at an all time low IMO. As are the IQs of the writers..........

Definitely agree with this.

Most of today's writers (and TV shooting and hunting personalities) have limited experience and skills, and too many of their hunts are set up for them by gun or ammo companies, outfitters or other enterprises trying to gain exposure and "endorsement."

Same for the fishing mags and shows too.

JPK

Other than the 223, where he forever lost me in his "reasoning" at the word "if", methinks none of the other 4 cartridges can be even considered somewhat popular, given sales. Hard to "over rate" that which isn't even popular to begin with, IMO.

Either way, we all know what they say opinions are like.........

Back