Top 5 most Overrated Rifle Cartridges

I can see a couple of his points, but the 220 swift was around a while before the 22-250 showed up as a SAAMI cartridge, with many a person still in love with it since it's inception. Most of those who still own a 220 swift, do so for nostalgia or they have the fastest 22 cal on the planet, why switch to the newer 22-250 if what you got ain't broke??

Also, he says the 270 WSM is 'too much of a good thing'?????

Scuse me there bud, but too much of a good thing is never too much...at least in my opinion!!!

I love me my 270 WSM, and if I didn't go with the 22-250...you can bet your butt that I'd own a 220 swift!!

I guess in this day and age, when the Miley Cyrus/Paris Hilton/Jim [beeep] method of self promotion is being followed by so many. I.E. "even bad press is better than no press"

Articles like this seem to accomplish what the person set out to do, and that's to get people to read his tripe.

Well, I guess he succeeded, I've posted my worthless opinion twice, about his opinions.

I'm done.

Why does this thing "bleep" out Jim C a r e y's last name?

Last edited:
Gone are the days of Jack O'Connor and Warren Page. I wish the gun writers of today spoke from experience. I remember the Boddington trash, about calibers that should go away. This author actually typed a word about the Swift and didn't say barrel burner, amazing! Do you think he even owns a reloading manual? People that don't understand a Swift, most times, have never sat behind a good one.

270 WSM fills a space between a standard 270 and the belted magnums, while doing it more efficiently, and in a lighter short action. Can we say sheep rifle caliber.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ninehorsesGone are the days of Jack O'Connor...

'Cuz ol' cap'n Jack was never one to over-hype anything.... [cough] 270win... [cough]
tt2.gif

Or you could consider ol' Elmer's part in the near demise of the 44spcl, and I can't help but think that he was partially to blame for the 38spcl for being phased out as a service weapon? Or Colonel Cooper's part in romanticizing the barrel mounted "scout scope"... He11, don't even get me started on the popular trend for misapplying and misinterpreting any of Massad's writings...

I do agree with you about Boddington's writing, but I have to admit - I do find something enjoyable about his writing. Maybe it was just the fact that he was one of the most predominant writers when I was a kid/teen reading about hunting across the pond that made his writing stick for me, but he must be doing something right if I can disagree with half (at least) of the crap he writes about rifle weights or cartridges, or whatever crazy opinionated stance he takes on one thing or another, but I still keep coming back - aka spending money - to read his work year after year.

But 'cmon people - Howard Stern isn't just famous because he's creative. Folks only get "air time" if they're creative, captivating, AND controversial. Phil's just not creative nor controversial enough to pull it off. His "top 5 most UNDERRATED rifle cartridges list" is more laughable than the OVERRATED list...

Quote:His "top 5 most UNDERRATED rifle cartridges list" is more laughable than the OVERRATED list...

Well I have to agree with at least 2 of his 5 (the .257 Roberts and 6.5x55 Swede)

Originally Posted By: deaddogwalkinI hope that the article gets some people to start dumping their 220 swifts. I have been lightly looking for one.

Mine will be up for sale someday. Just how soon I cannot tell you because I am, at the moment anyway, still alive.

Shhhesh. It's entertainment, folks. Don't we all know by now that there is no way to make an objecive case for or against a rifle chambering based only on facts.

So somewhere, somehow, opinion has to play a part.

I chuckle everytime I get one of those "letters to the gun editor", where an obviously brethless and beet-faced keyboard jockey is taking me to task for "getting it wrong" because I besmerched his favorite cartridge or rifle.

Get a grip! Gun writing, like many forms of writing is part news reporting, part technical writing, part features writing, part opinions/editorial writing, and part entertainment. If you do it well, it's all of them combined.

I love these articles because they are part a long, fine sporting tradition. It would stretch the imagination not at all to think that once a caveman joined his caveman buddies by the fire after a long day of unsuccessful hunting.

As our long-ago ancester sharpened his spear, someone looked on from across the fire, pointed, and said, "Ug. Grog. You never kill anything with that. That not enough spear for mammoth. Everyone know that the BC of that spear too much."

Gentleman, I give you the birth of the gun writer. Let the fun begin.

Grouse

Seems like there is a lot of type on best or worst calibers to keep readership up. How many 458 Win Mags are even out there to matter?

I think the focus would be better spent on common popular calibers.

That said I agree with the 223 Remington. Who ever would make that a military cartidge? Do you think we would have won WWII with it? Sure its fine for varmints, but it's how much better than the .222 and the .222 mag?

Why the 220 Swift? It is slowly becomming less common and has become a niche caliber, or almost. Why not the .243 Winchester as overated? With 55 grain bullets the 22-250 is more effecient and having spent time with the 6mm Remington and 257 Roberts I don't see the .243 as a winner.

Hair spliting preferances and I wonder how much time some of the authors have behind the actual calibers and differant rifles in true field conditions.

I agree with him for the most part but the .223 I do not. I think one can make the same argument he makes against the 220 and for the 22-250 an be said the same for the 22-250 and the 223.

Well at least he got paid. I remember when Finn Aagard made a list of rifles that should be dumped in the sea and the 270 win. was on it. If he had listed all of the short mags he might have had some interest on my part. Instead he picked the 300 that all others are judged by. 458 win. is known all over africa, 223 is almost as popular as 22lr these days, 220 swift is an old caliber with small but loyal fan base. Oh well. This is why there are so many calibers to enjoy. We like what we like.

As a cartridge the 223 is ho hum to me but the availabilty and the platforms for it out weigh everything. What more do I really care about.

I was thinking about a 270wsm also lol. instead of running a 300 win mag for elk and 243 for deer, just use one. Is the wsm crappy for reloaders?

Originally Posted By: HumpnessAs a cartridge the 223 is ho hum to me but the availabilty and the platforms for it out weigh everything. What more do I really care about.

I was thinking about a 270wsm also lol. instead of running a 300 win mag for elk and 243 for deer, just use one. Is the wsm crappy for reloaders?
I have used the .300WM for deer and elk for a very long time. Even used it for grouse. Great caliber.

My first post, so here goes:
My Ruger #1 220 swift went through 2 barrels hunting in New Mexico...but shot a ton of coyotes and prairie dogs!! Prairie dogs explode in a cloud of red mist!!

My 223 cost me $100 for 250 factory reloads, don't have room to reload.
My 22-250 cost me $59 for 100 rounds

I like shooting cheap without reloading!

Shucks, I'd call any of the Weatherby mags over rated. Agree on the WSN .270.

How dare he attack my .223!!!!!!!!
mad.gif

Also, might add in a .458 Win for my next elk rifle.
tt2.gif

Back