Hey.. NRA?

That is a good question, Grant! Troubling news, for sure, thanks for the heads up.

NRA directors are elected by the membership by voting members (Life members and those who have been continuous members for {I think} five years). In fact, the ballots are enclosed in the February issue of the magazines of qualified members along with a brief biography of each candidate (provided by the candidate him/herself).

Board candidates must be life members and are either nominated by the nominating committee and/or petition signed by a minimum of 250 NRA voting members. Mr Norquist was nominated by the nominated committee.

Unfortunately, there is no campaigning whereby candidates can challenge other candidates so we, as voting members, are only privy to the information which each candidate provides in his/her own biographical sketch.

2015 ballots must be received not later than 22 March 2015 to be counted. Directors are chosen by the number of votes received.

I am a bit disappointed in Glenn Beck stating that he would drop his NRA membership if Norquist is re-elected. This, IMO, is NOT the proper response. This is like saying, "I don't like the candidate my party has chosen, so I will not vote". I say stay and fight for his removal, don't turn tail and run.

I do not know how a director can be removed, but certainly will not be voting for Mr. Norquist and will be asking some questions.

Regards,
hm

Could be, Stu, but found this link by doing a google on his name:
Not too much to disagree with until I scrolled down to "National Politics".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grover_Norquist

One lesson I have taken from this is that I will do a search on every board candidate before voting in the future. No matter the position a politician is seeking, you cannot trust them to offer full disclosure when it comes to relating their record.

Regards,
hm

I was not sure what to think. As I really had no idea if it were fact or fiction. Its almost like when I was in Cali.. and the head of DFG was also employed by the Audubon Society. And He still has his job. We don't need more Foxes in the Henhouse. I hope to hear more on this after the NRA sees it.

wikipedia is hardly a secure source for information. It wouldn't surprise me at some point to find out that soros was behind this.

I'm also thinking that if it works we can expect similar tactics against others in the future.

I never proclaimed facts Stu. I just stumbled across this and passed it along. Thus the reason for my ? marks in previous posts. If you can/cannot disprove it, I am sure that it will be appreciated. I for one would be. Because I would most likely send My re-membership sooner. Where should the burden of proof be at this time? Should it be on us? Ur should the NRA offer a statement? Just thinking out loud here.

I was referring to orneryoldfart's post. He said the NRA should provide facts to prove he's inncoent.

I'd like to know how you do that.

I really don't expect NRA to defend Mr. Norquist; that is not their duty. I doubt that I will get a reply to my inquiry before voting closes on 22 March. My purpose in making the inquiry was to inform them of the issue and perhaps urge the nominating committee to be more thorough in their quest for suitable nominees in the future.

In a leap of faith, for years, I have voted basing my decisions on the trust that all nominees have been thoroughly vetted by the nominating committee before being placed in nomination. Apparently there is a possibility of error in the vetting process which forces me to do my own vetting in the future rather than taking each biography, furnished by the candidate him/herself, at face value.

My whole take on this is that the nominating committee may have dropped the ball in this case. JMO, but seems that if they had vetted the candidate thoroughly, they would not have placed his name on the ballot. There is a lot of information on Grover Norquist which is easily available by doing a Google search.

Again, IMO, withdrawing one's membership is not the proper course of action to remedy this obvious error, just as not voting in an election because "the party" didn't nominate one's favorite candidate is not helpful in promoting one's beliefs.

I, for one, plan to stay and fight for improvement of NRA, not cut and run. NRA is, and will always be the best hope we have of maintaining our 2nd amendment freedom, if for no other reason, based on sheer membership numbers and the dedication of it's members to defend that freedom.

Regards,
hm

Well this sucks, I have been a member seems like I don't remember when I wasn't, if that makes sense, I will do my duty and check this fellow out. I sent mine in when I first got the issue. I don't know what to say. Will want to know who makes up the committee and what qualification make them to be able to do their job.

Quote:Will want to know who makes up the committee and what qualification make them to be able to do their job.

Committee members are named at top of page H, "Report of the Nominating Committee" enclosed in the ballot packet of your magazine.

Regards,
hm

Not a problem, Ornery, I have a lifetime invested in the NRA; been a member since the early 1950's and life member since 1960, so I'm in it for the duration.

I'm firmly of the belief that, were it not for NRA, we would bear a strong resemblance to the UK and other anti-gun regimes and am committed to do my part, as small as it may be, to keep that from happening.

Regards,
hm

Back