Baiting

JPK:A trail camera sure would help prove what predators are feeding on the deer carcasses.

I'd guess coyotes if the carcass was devoured overnight, but vultures can do a number on dead stuff in a short time.Our vultures have just started showing up here, but I've never seen their tracks. I'll assume they're turkey-like.

Last edited:
Thanks. Trail camera will go in shortly. Need to drive a post and the ground has been frozen rock solid. I will put a driveway alert on a another post too.

The scat was found on one of the berm roads prior to baiting but after coyotes were heard on our ground. They had been across a river that borders our club grounds, but have definitely crossed.

They seem to have crossed this summer, but until today's warmer temps they could have walked across the river anytime for about the last month.

JPK

looks like coyote track .If a track gets thawed it gets way bigger fast.Those tracks look like they were made in melting snow and then froze the same size, so would of been made after dark before snow froze.this would make it a coyote track.

Thanks, that seems about what happened. We had an heavy, wet snow and sleet mix in the afternoon though ground temps were below freezing. Crusted up early in the night.

JPK

J.Mark, I used solid strand #12 coated copper regular household wire. I think the length was about 24 inches. I stripped off a small place near the bottom to solder the antenna wire from the unit to and then covered that with heat shrink tubing. At the top of the antenna wire I put a little liquid electric tape to cut down on corrosion starting on the wire. They've been going nonstop now for over 4 years.

I can attest for DoubleUp's modification with the antenna. Mine is still going strong as well. The Driveway Patrol is hard to beat, as is the price.

No shots fired but my wife got a treat this week. I was working out of town so my wife had the bait pile duty. We had a beaver out and an eagle made several visits for a snack. The beaver was a road kill and I had put a small slit in the back so maybe they would feed instead of just snatch, grab and run. The beaver prolly weighed about 15 lbs or so. The eagle got to feed for a couple days but something made off with the rest. I guess for some, seeing an eagle is no big deal, but here in central NC, we don't see many eagles. Been living here 18 years and this one is the first I have seen on my property. My wife took some pics and a little video. Maybe next time I find a road kill beaver I will stake it down. I thought about it this time but just didn't do it.

Last edited:

Seeing an Eagle is nice. I haven't seen one yet here.

Today I was finally able to get to the farm, after all this bad weather we have had for the last three weeks. I haven't been able to get down there due to the deep snow, drifts and such. Today I was able to drive in on the farm road, but still had to walk something over 300 yards to the bait site and cabin area. I had high hopes that the bad weather, now that is has broken, would show some coyote movement. Nope. Very frustrating.

Since February 15, my two cameras captured roughly 58 videos each, most of which were crows. A red fox visited two or three nights, a skunk one night, and that was all for mammals. During the day I had crows, a buzzard and hawk. That's it. It's not only frustrating, but a guy can't hunt when there's no coyotes to hunt for. You would think the below zero temps and snow accumulations of up to 19 inches in places, would have put critters on the move once the weather broke. Our weather fared up about a week ago, even though the roads were still bad. Today is the first day since February 14 that I have been able to get to the site.

At least I got to compare two trail cameras, a Bushnell Trophy Cam HD and a Moultrie M880. Below is a compiled video of visits since the 15th of February.

The link below will show a larger view than the embedded video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxOUhEtdEtE&feature=youtu.be

Nice work there 6mm06. Weekender, I had an immature eagle like that one trying to carry a decoy out of my pond. He would fly out and grab the decoy with his talons but couldn't pull the weight out of the bottom. Then he would land and just stare at the decoy. It was funny watching him. He finally got tired and decided he wasn't going to get that plastic pintail.

Thanks for the info doubleup.I am going to get some driveway patrols and try them out Can you still get the ear bud and volume control at radio shack?

J. Mark there's more than one frequency used in the Driveway Patrol. Request that your supplier send you units that all have the same frequency so they all work together if buying more than one.

Absolutely follow 6mm06's advice on the volume control.

I was fortunate to have got all 4 Driveway Patrols that work on the same frequency. I purchased two and both operate on the same frequency. Then I wanted to purchase two more, so I contacted the Ebay seller again and asked him to open the boxes and check the frequency. They were the same so I got them.

The volume control is a must. Otherwise when the alarm sounds, your ears will know it. That thing is loud, even on low, and it hurts. The volume control is cheap and you can easily dial the volume to what is comfortable for you.

My wife has added some bait to the pile. We keep the hams, shoulders and backstraps. The darn buzzards get the lions share but maybe it will last long enough for her to see a coyote on it.

Good shooting there Mrs. W.
smile.gif

Just before 12 last night I looked out in the field with my Pulsar Thermal and saw two coyotes approaching my bait pile. I turned the alarms off and prepared my rifle in caliber 204 Ruger to shoot. I was shooting a 35 Berger at 3,900 fps. I was using my Photon 4.6 XT with a Doubler installed and the shot was 145 yds. I did not use the onboard IR or the T-20 mounted on the weapon. I have two IR lights on the back of my shop and only used the light from them. The video would have been better with my T-20 but I did not want to get the whiteout that occurs when using a weapon mounted IR. As you can see in the video it took me a little to get the coyote in the right position, but the shot was DRT. By the time I found the other one he was almost in the woods and at about 300 yds. I didn't want to risk a moving shot at that distance at night, but could see him clearly with the T-20 turned on full power. This was a decent size female. The entry was 20 cal. size and there was no exit.

Back