Baiting

6mm06, I'll ship them to you and you can carry them out on your next western adventure.
smile.gif

I bet if you shipped that to nafa youd get alot more than that at auction.I shipped a small cat from wi. last winter after the fur crash and got $202.oo which is way more than they say for this area.Cats are hot.

A friend of mine sat for 5 and a half hours today in zero degree temps up a tree over bait and got his first over bait coyote.He wore light boots instead of heavy sorrels.Hes pretty tuff to endure that.35 lbs. female unfortunately it mange.

5 1/2 hours in light boots in zero temps, I can't do that, no way. Dang he is TUFF!!!!!! Tell him congrats on his coyote, mange or not!

DoubleUp ---please keep putting up those wonderful pics of your area.....no need to have any game in them ---NICE JUST TO SEE THE GROUND...with NO snow. It does wonders for my disposition.

Lol, unfortunately we are snow covered now as well and more on the way, but nothing like you folks have up there. I feel for you. How are the deer surviving in the yards? I'm expecting it has been a very tough year on them.

Double up, more snow has fallen in the last 30 days than I could have ever dreamed. My little town in southern New Brunswick hauls on average 2500 loads of snow a year off the streets and parking lots, I heard on my way to work the total is approaching 12000.

The deer are really struggling in there yards at this point with nearly waist deep snow depths in places. This in my opinion works two ways making the coyotes work to survive also, I just hope crust doesn't form. I have found one kill on lake, which I did manage to kill an average sized female off of.

All the snow is making travel and hauling bait, even by snowmobile difficult, but I have been chipping away on the coyotes. (Just need to learn to post pictures) Funny how it happens some times, but the one day my camera battery goes dead a decent bobcat made its way to the bait and stayed awhile.

Last edited:
photobucket dot com is where you start, free and pretty easy. Download the pic there. Once downloaded there copy the IMG link and paste it here in your post. Once you hit submit, it will show up in your post. Ask ?s if you need help.

We have been pummeled with snow recently too, though not like you have up your way, yotieaddict.
We probably got, total accumulation over a few days, somewhere between 17-20 inches. The bad
part is that we also got some light freezing rain, which crusted the snow, froze it more or less to
the point that I can actually walk on it in places. And, of all things, it's snowing out right now.
We are supposed to get from 2 to 4 inches more tonight. There has been numerous roofs collapse
in the area too. No doubt the deer in our area will be hurt by it.

I haven't been able to check my cameras or rebait in over a week now - can't get to the site.
I imagine the few coyote we have are hungry. Wish I had some bait out and could hunt soon.

Well.... It often gets below freezing here but we rarely have snow in the NW Florida Piney Woods. Here's one of my favorite places to sit whilst waiting for a Bambi or Tusker to wander by and partake of my corn and other offerings... Note the lack of snow...

That's about a 1/4 acre foodplot of wheat and oats but the deer keep it grazed down so low that it isn't getting much of a chance this year. LOL

Winter_Food_Plot.JPG

doubleup,
not sure yet .. from what I have seen they have found those warmer/less windy pockets with some food and water. rabbits are on the up swing and the coyotes SEEM to be on them pretty hard so the deer may not be the number one item on the buffet. I have seen where the coyotes have struggled to get through the snow in a few places so this must help the deer if they can find a place far enough away from the coyotes. if the deer are in an area they seem to move at will and do not seem to be as bothered by the snow as coyotes, The coyotes on my bait pile come and go on a goat path when they come in and do not venture off of it. right now around my area (15 miles X 25 miles) the tracks reveal more of a pack mentality than the usual pairs of male/female breading. When I see tracks it ....it is A LOT of multiple coyotes or nothing. with temps moderating here we will get hunt and hunt more real soon. minus 32 the other morning and the average morning temp has been -20 or colder for a couple of weeks and some days at my house the wind was blowing 20 -35 mph
which put the wind chill temp one day I checked at -62... the other days I did not check ......I did not want to know. just kept throwing wood on the fire.

nice warm pic ldhunter ..thanks.

good luck nailing some yotes... can't wait to get back out myself.

Originally Posted By: gobblergetterNice heavy fur on that coyote, Scalloper . With all that snow ya''ll been getting, a coyote wouldn't survive without it. 70" is unfathomable
scared.gif

Now we have had over 130" just in February. And its been the coldest February on record so the snow is like sugar. My bait pile is under 3'+ in snow. Nothing seems to be moving much at all. I have put on over 300 miles on my sled and only seen 5-6 coyote tracks.

Last edited:
Well, I have been reading and learning and got a bait site up and running. Have had fox and racoons come to the bait, as revealed by tracks in the snow. Maybe coyote too. Photos are below and I would welcome some help ID'ing what I'm seeing.

However, learned something Saturday, while finishing up the stairway to the deer tower from which my son and I will hunt over the bait site.

What I learned is don't let your dogs run loose near your bait pile, they will eat all of the scattered scraps while you aren't watching them!!!

We have found three winter killed sika deer at the club where my bait site is. One died is it's bed in some sage (what we call tall feather grass) on a berm adjacent to the gravel road running across most of the arable land. A youngster died on an iced over drainage ditch. Tracks reveal that it's mother tried to get it up and moving, obviously without success. The third was in the salt marsh.

We started supplemental feeding for the deer and whatever else, using our left over corn and duck pellets.

[EDIT: Sika deer are relatives of elk. Maryland Sika deer are the smallest sub species or strain of Sika deer with a big, trophy stag dressing about 100-110lbs and a really big hind dressing maybe 75lbs. Maryland's sika came from Yakushima Island in Japan about a century ago. Originally they were contained to a couple of islands in the Chesapeake Bay and on the coast but when the Chesapeake Bay froze over some walked to the mainland. They love marsh and wet areas and they are dominant over whitetails. At my club in Dorchester County we have almost exclusively sika deer and whitetail sightings are few and far between. Here's a link with some more info: http://sikastag.com/sika-deer.htm ]

The sika that died in it's bed was mostly consumed in one day, and the little one was placed in the same spot and was also mostly gone in a day.

Q: Do vulture tracks look like turkey tracks?

Please help me ID these tracks, they appear to be too large for fox, and they aren't dog tracks since no dogs were on the property between the time it snowed and the time the photo was taken:

Also, can anyone help ID this scat? It isn't very similar in size and shape to sika deer and seems big for our raccoon and fox:

Thanks for your help,

JPK

Last edited:
Back