.223 panic buying

zeke32

With the proposed m855 (green tip) ban, many people in my area have started "panic buying" .223 /5.56 ammo. Went to three different wal marts and only found a few boxes of smk $32.00 per box match ammo. Usually the .223 around here is plentiful with a good variety of manufacturers. Is this happening in any one else's neck of the woods? Hopefully it won't last long

People need to realize they are feeding the problem. It's probally not all shooters. To many that go buy at 6 bucks a box then se it on facebook or backpage for 3x. There's a special place in [beeep] for people like that to me.

I wonder if the majority are doing that? Or actually just stocking up in fear of it not being easily available....or available at all.

Originally Posted By: nastynatesfishPeople need to realize they are feeding the problem. It's probally not all shooters. To many that go buy at 6 bucks a box then se it on facebook or backpage for 3x. There's a special place in [beeep] for people like that to me.

I just wonder about the idiots who are actually paying double (or more) for the price of .223 ammo at times.
rolleyes.gif
I guess I've never had enough $$$ to piss away on overpriced ammo, etc. That's part of what prompted me into getting into reloading 3 years ago, that and the fact I wanted to be able to load for wildcats if I wanted to.

I'll never pay more than $.50 per round of .223 ammo EVER (unless $hit really gets out of hand) and I only pay that for the convenience of not having to load some ammo sometimes especially since I can load just about anything I want to load for my .223's for less than $.40 per round and I have better shooting ammo than I can buy off of the shelf anyway.

I bought a 17 Hornet today and was calling a Cabelas we have in the area to check on ammo and the operators are screening calls to the gun counter to make sure you are not looking for 223, obviously they are out, was also at a show last weekend and seen guys walking out with full ammo cans in both hands, getting silly again I guess.

Cabelas near me had as much 223rem last night as any time in the last 2yrs.

I heard a few guys at the gun counter mentioning that they had heard that 223 supply was going to dry up, so I asked "really, why do they say that's going to happen?" Their comment was that the "government was making it illegal to have military cartridges"... The idiot behind the counter mentioned that they had a lot in stock, but there were a lot of guys mentioning it.

I couldn't help but point out that the only thing currently in jeopardy is a round that they've probably never even seen in person, and wouldn't know that it was gone if it actually does get banned.

No panic buying here. I have around 5k rounds on hand of our "loads" for our respective rifles, and a few thousand more bullets and powder on hand beyond that.

Everybody is in panic mode and buying everything without even understanding what is going on. There are so many rumors floating around that all 223 ammo is being banned. There are a lot of morons out there.

Fairly big shop where I bought my Hornet yesterday all of the bulk 223/556 was gone, the other oddball stuff was kind of picked over, this was a shop out in the sticks away from the major areas.

Panic or not they get a ban passed on one bullet what's to stop them from getting any others passed? I'm sure they would like to get all of our poisonous lead ammo also. Panic is in full swing here and online I watched over 5k rounds go out of my friends shop Saturday afternoon. I had my eye on a particular case of ammo to shoot up for the quality brass while having fun disappeared over night and it had bee in stock forever.

Panic buying is normal in such situations. This is a capitalist country.......sort of ....still......anyhoo, there definitely are folks buying up 223/556 in hopes of a profit. Live with it. If you didn't stock up by now, you're not wanting to have much around. Panics, bans, fear, etc. will be normal for sometime to come. Liberals feed on it, luv it.......this is not just a test to see if they can ban such a common ammo on BS theories, but to see what the public and political reactions are whether the ban goes thru or not. They learn form it, and modify the next time the details are ripe for picking. If they can drive up the price of ammo, less kids get to shoot anytime soon, and less kids become 2A supporters as they age. Ammo's been getting too cheap in their minds again, so let's create a crisis......public reaction is predictable. Liberals evolving oligarch attitudes are not. Use the power of the vote and the $ accordingly.

If you bemoan the shortages of any caliber, and the prices that come from a shortage, after what has been happening for the past few years.

YOU DESERVE IT..

Just last week I was on here and posted a thing warning everyone to stock up. I have a decent stock pile of what i thought i would use over a 2 year period.. But even still.. I went out and doubled down on that, especially after seeing what happened with the 22lr. http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...876#Post2804876

I seriously hope that horders buy it and sell it to people that don't prepare. I also hope they focus on that and stop doing it to 22lr, so that i can restock on that too..

You had better believe that i am going to fill a 50cal ammo can with 22lr when i find it for resonable prices again. I loaded up in 2012 after the last debate before the election, when Odummer, said he will ban what he can. for those now spending $100+ on a bucket of bullets, stop crying and stock up next time.

Shortages don't have to be based on rational. However, running out and having to spend more than you like to get a supply is a lack of planning.
I bet those that cry about shortages don't have a food supply for emergencies either. Better to be prepared than whine about being out.

Last edited:
If anyone is hurting for .224 50 and 53 gr Vmax bullets I have a terrible deal for you.. But, you can get a box of 100 of each for $40, if you would like a box of 250, i have those for $100. Just PM me.

Originally Posted By: reb8600Everybody is in panic mode and buying everything without even understanding what is going on. There are so many rumors floating around that all 223 ammo is being banned. There are a lot of morons out there.

id9ul_zpsilhfs4df.gif

Does this mean I need to fire up the progressive, and make even a larger pile!?! Guess I could buy a few more thousands of bullets. I have plenty of the rest of the material to last through several major zombie onslaughts.
grin.gif

One has to love the public. Isn't capitalism great.

Squeeze

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZ
I bet those that cry about shortages don't have a food supply for emergencies either. Better to be prepared than whine about being out.

Who needs to stock food when you have all the means to take it from those that didn't prepare to defend themselves!!
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZIf you bemoan the shortages of any caliber, and the prices that come from a shortage, after what has been happening for the past few years.

YOU DESERVE IT..

Just last week I was on here and posted a thing warning everyone to stock up. I have a decent stock pile of what i thought i would use over a 2 year period.. But even still.. I went out and doubled down on that, especially after seeing what happened with the 22lr. http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...876#Post2804876

I seriously hope that horders buy it and sell it to people that don't prepare. I also hope they focus on that and stop doing it to 22lr, so that i can restock on that too..

You had better believe that i am going to fill a 50cal ammo can with 22lr when i find it for resonable prices again. I loaded up in 2012 after the last debate before the election, when Odummer, said he will ban what he can. for those now spending $100+ on a bucket of bullets, stop crying and stock up next time.

Shortages don't have to be based on rational. However, running out and having to spend more than you like to get a supply is a lack of planning.

While I too have stocked up on things I USE most... I think this is a pretty @$$hole thing to say. What about people that actually shoot instead of just hording. The average guy can't spend his mortgage payments on components.

No telling how many kids are playing video games instead of shooting so you can feel good about having 22LR "put up". Way to go
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: coleridgeOriginally Posted By: Tbone-AZIf you bemoan the shortages of any caliber, and the prices that come from a shortage, after what has been happening for the past few years.

YOU DESERVE IT..

While I too have stocked up on things I USE most... I think this is a pretty @$$hole thing to say. What about people that actually shoot instead of just hording. The average guy can't spend his mortgage payments on components.

No telling how many kids are playing video games instead of shooting so you can feel good about having 22LR "put up". Way to go
thumbup.gif

i will never apologize nor feel guilty about being prepared. whether it be a food supply or way to acquire one, or having a supply of ammo. I have no sympathy for people who could have bought ammo over the last several months or more now complaining that there is none, or that it costs too much.
Anyone who pays attention even a little bit to what is going on in the world should know that the gun banners will stop at nothing to put shooters out of business. when the supplies of ammo were good and the shelves were full, it was time to stock up befor the next run on ammo. I am sure there are some people that did not have the money at the time, bad luck for them.

Originally Posted By: coleridge
YOU DESERVE IT..

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...876#Post2804876

thumbup.gif

The hypothetical guy being quoted wouldn't have had to spend a morgage payment on components if he had planned ahead.. Most likely he doesn't have a morgage either.. I would bet he pays rent. "hypotetically of course"
I buy or put a little money in a jar on payday.. Then i go by a box or whatever when i stop by.. I have been saving for 22lr, when it shows up again, but in this case i bought what i will shoot.. I don't resell, but would if someone was willing to pay twice what i paid.. At some point it's going to get to a price point where the extra would be sold if offered the right prices. Otherwise i will hang on to it so that i can shoot when i please and as much as i please.

My kids play video games, but they also get to go shooting with their matching 10/22's since i stocked up before the last presidential election. I haven't run out, and my kids go shooting and camping and fishing all becuase of the decisions i have made to create the opportunity for them to do so..

No one has to stay up to date on everything happening in the world.. But i have several days warning to all those that read the posts here, to prepare and buy now if it's something you use. Failure to act leaves those holding something other than bullets.

Call is AZZh#le if you like, but they had thier chance.. I was leading them to water, but won't stand there and make them drink, i have things to do and prepare for.

Like retirement..
You can set it aside and save or pray that Social Security will be there.. I know what some are doing and that ain't me.

Back