.223 panic buying

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZgood conversations here.

Even in my stock piling i only have 2000 223 rounds and powder and primers for it.. But i have a 22-250 and two kids that are about to start shooting 223. So.. I figure it's about right for a couple of years anyways..
I just figured that it's better to buy when it's cheaper and i really don't see it getting cheaper than it was last month anytime in the next couple of years..

I also love it when i want to go shooting, and i just have to walk outside and load some rounds vs. trying to buy it at the last minute and spend a fortune.

I too, also hope the hoarders/hedgers flip over to the 223 and get bruned, and finally some 22lr starts to hit the shelf reliably.. I only have 1000 or so left and the kids can burn through it fairly quickly.

I also think that toilet paper would be a good curency in a bad situation too.. The alternative is not as nice. lol

As my son is preparing for Nationals competition, he is shooting at LEAST 1000 rounds of 22LR every two weeks. Last year I shot centerfire's somewhere around 7000 times. I have planned and have components & ammo we use a lot, put up; but shooting that volume it's about impossible to "prepare" for much more than a year out. Finding a steady source of decent 22LR has been really tough (I'm not buying or looking for bulk stuff but the scare has taken MUCH of the mid-priced match ammo). I'm still trying to wrap my head around your statement that you "hope" shortages happen and other sportmen suffer. Sounds like your going to need something soon. Good luck with that.

This is a pretty good thread I just went through the whole conversation! I was caught with my pants down right after sandy hook when everything started getting taken away. I also live in Colorado so that's what I mean by stuff getting taken away! Luckily I had an almost paid off credit card and time to buy! And buy I did. I'm sure I'm on some government watch list but if you aren't stock piling stuff by now you're not real bright! Even if they don't take stuff away ammo and guns are like gold! Right now ammo more than guns! Especially 22lr! Compared to what 22lr was 5 years ago and how easy it was to find! To not have some saved up was just dumb... I don't really consider myself a prepper that's for sure but I was a Boy Scout so I will be prepared!

As for my credit card being almost paid off I am now still trying to pay it off haha! Unless something else crazy happens I'm done with credit cards they are the devil!

My suggestion is to buy a little of whatever caliber you shoot the most everytime you go to the store or whatever is on sale rather than panic buying!

Originally Posted By: coleridgeOriginally Posted By: Tbone-AZ
I also love it when i want to go shooting, and i just have to walk outside and load some rounds vs. trying to buy it at the last minute and spend a fortune.

I too, also hope the hoarders/hedgers flip over to the 223 and get bruned, and finally some 22lr starts to hit the shelf reliably.. I only have 1000 or so left and the kids can burn through it fairly quickly.

As my son is preparing for Nationals competition, he is shooting at LEAST 1000 rounds of 22LR every two weeks. Last year I shot centerfire's somewhere around 7000 times. I have planned and have components & ammo we use a lot, put up; but shooting that volume it's about impossible to "prepare" for much more than a year out. Finding a steady source of decent 22LR has been really tough (I'm not buying or looking for bulk stuff but the scare has taken MUCH of the mid-priced match ammo). I'm still trying to wrap my head around your statement that you "hope" shortages happen and other sportmen suffer. Sounds like your going to need something soon. Good luck with that.

Totally agree.

As I have constantly pointed out, this "You should have stocked up." like if thinking is fine for the casual plinker or hunter who a)doesn't shoot very much, or b) always uses the same old rifles/ammo and finally c) who can afford to stockpile whatever number of rounds they would need for an undetermined time period.

But then to do the ha-ha on other sportsman who don't fit into the above categories, we'll that's pretty telling of some guys real character, that's all I've got to say.

And then these "stock up" advocates seem to be a little short on taking their own advice. Huh? Why's Mr. Stock up looking for .22 RF? Didn't he "stock up" like everyone else was supposed to do? Problem with all this stock up theory is that it only works if you guess right on the time period for which you need to stock up. 1 year? 3 years? 5 years?

Because I do magazine and website reviews of new guns, I cannot "stock up" because I never know what I'm going to be shooting next. I also like to shoot and experiment with loads, so in order to follow this "stock up" line of bullsh!t thinking, I'd have to basically own a reloading store. For obvious reasons, that's not feasible.

Grouse

Originally Posted By: The Famous Grouse I also like to shoot and experiment with loads, so in order to follow this "stock up" line of bullsh!t thinking, I'd have to basically own a reloading store. For obvious reasons, that's not feasible.

Grouse

Grouse,

Whatever your "obvious reasons" are, PUHLEASE do not tell my wife! She thinks it is perfectly normal to have 50 lbs of powder, 50k primers, many storage containers of brass, and enough ammo to keep a couple of platoons in a firefight for a week.

In all seriousness, it did feel good to have the grandson and his friend ask to shoot some guns this weekend, and hand them a few hundred rounds of 22 LR, 100 rounds of 5.56 NATO, 50 rounds of 308 Win, and a couple of boxes of shotgun ammo, and not have a care. My neighbors are getting tired of my new M1A, and me trying to find a load for a LR-308, that is not living up to my expectations. No ammo shortage here. I am one of those that saw this coming, and like the little piggy, built my house out of bricks...of 22 LR.
lol.gif

Squeeze

Back