I like it LOW

Infidel 762

Staff member
I like my scopes mounted as low to the bore as possible... I have tried Burris and Nikon one piece mounts... Nikon got it lower than the Burris but it still had a big gap between the bottom of the scope's bell and the top of the tube... Then I found this;

ArmaLite one piece mount EX0027... I have not had it long enough to see how well it holds it's zero... But I have taken a couple critters with it... I shot a badger at close range and aimed just a little bit high for offset... Tonight I shot this coyote at less than 40 yards... I aimed straight at her with no consideration for offset..

I set up on a hill over-watching an open draw dividing two areas of thick wood lots... There were no shadows that would provide visibility... So a sat quietly on the hill waiting for the sun to set... Once the sun set I did a couple lone howls... She came in fast and found herself between myself and the caller... Next she found herself on the ground...

Another female...I am definitely seeing more females than males this year, coming in to defend their territory..

Is your cheek weld "normal" on the AR15 frame though or do have to squish down a bit to the stock?
I like my scope low as can be also, but on the AR frame if its to low its not fitting my cheek weld and eye line.

I know I do like blood at the end of a stand
thumbup1.gif

No... I am used to it. Shoulder the rifle a little bit higher.. I get the same cheek weld..

"ArmaLite's Scope Mounts provide outstanding, repeatable engagement with all MIL-STD 1913(Picatinny) rail systems, placing the scope centerline at the same position as the iron sights of a model A2 Rifle."

In the Army I had an Eotech on my M4, it's not much lower, if any...

When I had my old VX-3 on my R15, I had it mounted with a set of low Leupold rings and no risers. Had to squish my cheek down a bit, but it made for a rock solid cheek weld. I honestly don't think I ever missed with that setup. Gave scope and rings to my buddy Dr. K_n PhD. Wildlife Biologist in Charge of Possums when he got his R15. Don't think he's missed with it either, which is a big deal since heretofore he couldn't seem to hit anything inside of 200 yards.

I have the Nikon mount now, but I really like the looks of that Armalite.

very nice infidel. I had not seen one of those. I have a Burris on my M4 but am buying a Leupy VXR so had to go with a 30mm. I got the Warne skeleton. its lighter than the Burris but close to the same height.

What I want to know, is what your load is. I read pretty much all your threads, and I have noticed over time that fur friendly it ain't!
thumbup1.gif
Lots of folks want them to look like they died of natural causes, but since I don't skin, I like them DEAD. Really dead. Mainly I use my Swift or Dad's old calling rifle that is a 25-06. But the kids use my CZ-527 in 223. It has been working just fine with a 50 grain Dogtown spitzer, but I am trying the 40 VMAX right now. Need to have them shoot a few to test out terminal performance. What bullet at what velocity are you using?

Thanx

Originally Posted By: KizmoWhen I had my old VX-3 on my R15, I had it mounted with a set of low Leupold rings and no risers. Had to squish my cheek down a bit, but it made for a rock solid cheek weld. I honestly don't think I ever missed with that setup. Gave scope and rings to my buddy Dr. K_n PhD. Wildlife Biologist in Charge of Possums when he got his R15. Don't think he's missed with it either, which is a big deal since heretofore he couldn't seem to hit anything inside of 200 yards.

IMO it is a lot more solid of mount... It is heavier than the Nikon however...

Originally Posted By: rpc55very nice infidel. I had not seen one of those. I have a Burris on my M4 but am buying a Leupy VXR so had to go with a 30mm. I got the Warne skeleton. its lighter than the Burris but close to the same height.

The last scope I had on it was a 30mm, the Burris 1 piece is 30mm... I replaced it with 2 low Weaver rings to get it low...

Originally Posted By: JTPinTXWhat I want to know, is what your load is. I read pretty much all your threads, and I have noticed over time that fur friendly it ain't!
thumbup1.gif
Lots of folks want them to look like they died of natural causes, but since I don't skin, I like them DEAD. Really dead. Mainly I use my Swift or Dad's old calling rifle that is a 25-06. But the kids use my CZ-527 in 223. It has been working just fine with a 50 grain Dogtown spitzer, but I am trying the 40 VMAX right now. Need to have them shoot a few to test out terminal performance. What bullet at what velocity are you using?

I am the same... I want them DEAD... I don't reload, so I don't know how fast they are going... I know I don't have to worry about them jumping the string like a bow... Out of my bolt gun I only shoot Hornady 40 grn. V-Max... Out of my AR I have been using Black Hills 60 grn. V-Max... Up until a couple months ago I was using Hornady 75 grn. BTHP, those always passed threw and I had more spinners and runners... I am liking this Black Hills so far...

Some of these coyotes I have been shooting recently have fur like Bay Bay Kids... Nappy dawg type [beeep]..

Bay Bay Kids= Children that are usually the offspring of hood rat chicks. These children are usually unkempt and seen running around impoverished neighborhoods with little or no clothes on, although it is usually a diaper. Their hair will be either half done or not done in weeks, and the first word out of their mouths is usually a curse word. This is the begginning of the phase of becoming a thug.

"[beeep], did you hear those kids at that resturant cussin' and throwin food? They some Bay Bay Kids"

Infidel that black hills 60 grain vmax will put the hurt to them for sure. I stopped getting runners when I started shooting them. The umar I shoot now is just a wee bit better.

Originally Posted By: crittr gittrInfidel that black hills 60 grain vmax will put the hurt to them for sure. I stopped getting runners when I started shooting them. The umar I shoot now is just a wee bit better.

What is umar?

[/quote]
Some of these coyotes I have been shooting recently have fur like Bay Bay Kids... Nappy dawg type [beeep]..

Bay Bay Kids= Children that are usually the offspring of hood rat chicks. These children are usually unkempt and seen running around impoverished neighborhoods with little or no clothes on, although it is usually a diaper. Their hair will be either half done or not done in weeks, and the first word out of their mouths is usually a curse word. This is the begginning of the phase of becoming a thug.

"[beeep], did you hear those kids at that resturant cussin' and throwin food? They some Bay Bay Kids" [/quote]

Hilarious 762, LMAO!

Originally Posted By: crittr gittrThis is am umar it is chambered in an ar in 22-250.

A very effective solution to runners
scared.gif

I hear you on low mounts. Reflex sights and close stuff not a biggy but precision or longer range stuff with you head up that high sucks. I really wish some one would come out with a good cheek riser that's functional. The few I've tried always seemed to far back to really be useful while not getting in the way of manipulating the charging handle or got in the way as much as anything. Plus the butt stocks with them or that they can be added to are ridiculously expensive. As ugly as they are I've started thinking a vx-3 L and taking a dremel to a few of the picatinny bumps just to get it a few mm lower would be nice.

I have Armalite mounts on two of my ARs. The Dtech I hunt with the most has not had the scope adjusted in about 3 or 4 years.

It has been hauled around, killed hogs, coyote, deer and I don't know what all. Always stays on the money.

Originally Posted By: KizmoWhen I had my old VX-3 on my R15, I had it mounted with a set of low Leupold rings and no risers. Had to squish my cheek down a bit, but it made for a rock solid cheek weld. I honestly don't think I ever missed with that setup. Gave scope and rings to my buddy Dr. K_n PhD. Wildlife Biologist in Charge of Possums when he got his R15. Don't think he's missed with it either, which is a big deal since heretofore he couldn't seem to hit anything inside of 200 yards.

i tried going low, had my vortex so close to the rail that i could barely fit the flip cap on the front of the scope.

for me it was uncomfortably low - i was straining to get the view into the tube without it shadowing - i had to come up a half inch to get a nice comfortable cheek weld. I didnt even realize how bad it was until i switched uppers one day from my blackout to the .204 which was a fair bit higher rings and settled back down.. and then all the sudden it was like 'oh wow.. thats way more comfortable" ... and then shot a .385 group just a few mins after. this was after running ~ MOA all afternoon with the blackout.

Back