burl call

BUCKWHEAT

Very hard call for me to make, But I think it was worth the effort. Check it out if you would. Just click on each picture to enlarging as much as you like. Thanks Ernie

Last edited:
Looks real good Buckwheat!! In that last pic. it looks like a chunck of the wood, where the mouth piece seats, broke out on ya. Is that a normal problem with workin' with burl?
ALSO, you know you're going to have to have a couple of your calls with you when we meet in KS. this winter, just lettin' ya know ahead of time;)!!!

Ernie,

Very awesome call. Turning burl is a challenge, isn't it. I would agree that it's worth it.

Very sweet looking....Tony

Songdog
Glad to have a call maker of your ability say it looks very good, that is like and A+ for me. I also like to keep one of your open reed calls around my neck. I have made two calls to date for you that I was just going to send you and not say anything until you received them. Both have not made it out the door to the post office. One call a friend had a death in his family and I gave it to him in hopes to help keep his spirits up and his mind occupied with some good things. The other my brother has. So both have good homes, I am still trying my friend.
The open hole in the mouthpiece is a natural burl in the wood. There are actual problems with air leaks getting to bad from all the burl in this type of call. That is what makes this type of call the call it is. This type of call is too nice and too fragile for field use I think. Some heavily burled wood calls get so bad that they go to the trash. I never know when I buy a piece of burled wood what will happen in side the wood until I start cutting away wood. It can get very expensive quickly if I have a run of bad luck.
My point is I did not forget you.

AlaskanYoter Thanks also I know you keep an eye out on all the calls so an atta boy from you is great

Tony this call is for you. So when you get back from running all around the country having all that fun, remember me when you get home. LOL

Ya know if you keep this up, you are not gonna have the time to get out this season. Hell, you mised turkey because you did not want to come out from behind that machine of yours. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Nice looking call!! Keep up the quality craftsmanship!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Jus' make sure ya got one of them with ya when we meet it KS. this winter, that's all I ask!!! It don't have to be burl, any kind of wood will suite me jus' fine!!

Quote:
Tony this call is for you. So when you get back from running all around the country having all that fun, remember me when you get home. LOL

Only 1 word comes to mind... SWEET!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I look very forward to this call. I've always wanted a Buckeye Burl call. But to have one of your designs is a major plus! That is what a I call Custom. I threw out an idea, you jumped on it, specifically ordered the blank and built a beautiful call for me. I am grateful.

Thank you very much.

Can't wait to get home...well, kinda. I'm taking a liking to Texas. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks E....Tony

Ernie,

Yep checked out your web-site & calls/sounds. They are very good, especially the "Red Fox" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif. We had 2-Red Fox cubs, when my Bro's & I were younger. We keep'em in a large rabbit pen, in the back yard. They'll also make a very loud & raspy "Kacking/bark" noise. Those two pups, would cut loose right @ darkness(every-night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif). They'd also yap & wail, like a coyote.

Drove our Mother & the neighbors crazy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif(we lived right in the middle of town, then LOL!). Finally had to get rid of 'em. They were both litter mates(male & female), that our Dad brought us, one spring. I think he was trying to push our Ma over the edge! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Ernie,
One thing to keep in mind when turning burl wood, CA glue (super glue) is your friend. I use the thin stuff the stabilize the wood and fill small gaps. The medium glue will fill larger voids. I usually turn my blanks down a bit before applying, unless it looks like there is a real problem area that might fly apart right off the bat. Once the blank is getting close to the finish size, I start applying the glue. You might have to apply the glue several times as you near the finished shape. You can use an excellerator to help speed up the drying time. Then once I get to the finished size, I'll put a final coat on the call prior to sanding. CA glues make turning burls a lot easier.

Hope this helps,
Paul

Kirby
That is some good stories there. They bring back some good memories for me. I use to keep red foxes and collect there urine when I was younger for trapping. I had already moved out from home. My mother liked me keeping animals, said I was just like her brother when he was growing up. The neighbors did not care for there smell much. I thought it smelled great LOL
I also think it sounds like you had a good dad and child hood. Your ma did not care for animals, as much as your dad did that is all.
I here you about the other sounds fox make, but the barking sound is the one that is the easiest fox sounds to make.

Paul
Thanks for your tips; I will try them. You might have solved a problem for me with another type wood with this glue trick. Working with and shaping burl wood has not been a problem. My problem is there could be a big hollow spot at the wrong place. Some times a ½ long or longer.
The calls I make are very thin at places and if there is even a small open hole at the wrong points, the call is no good.
This glue, does it change or darken the color of the wood.

Yep, Ernie

My Grandfather(my Dad's father) was 100% Missouri-mule /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif. I guess it was passed down, wanting to be around animals(domestic or wild).

When I come across a den, out hunting. I'll kneel down & stick my face clear in & take a deep "whiff"...I can't help it! LOL! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
Both have not made it out the door to the post office. One call a friend had a death in his family and I gave it to him in hopes to help keep his spirits up and his mind occupied with some good things. The other my brother has. So both have good homes, I am still trying my friend.

I'm the critter Ernie was so kind to have given the one call to shortly after my daughters untimely demise... be assured it has helped immensley to temper this time of sorrow Ernie... your generosity is deeply appreciated...

the call is quite a piece of work in itself... everyone I show it to is impressed with it's tone, range of sound, and the handicraft/workmanship involved... I'm hoping we can get together soon and you can again show me all the sounds this magnicent call is capable of...

Ernie, again a sincere thanks for a most wonderful gift... Dale... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Leroy
I am glad you have that call and I am sure Tim does not mind. We will hook up some time. Right now, I been working 6 days a week and any time I have is with the wife and making calls. This job could be over soon and we could hook up then, maybe do a little hog hunting.

Back