Baiting

Well made it back up to my camp friday midday and found a bear had gotten I to my extra bait that was stored In front of the garage in trash barrels...I had scattered deer rib cages everywhere! Then i checked my cam over my bait and I had 599 pics almost all coyotes! Coming and going everyday last week. So I got back up there that night and it wasn't long before the alarm went off. This red fox came in. Later that night i o other visitor was the usual owl that's been a regular. Also spent sat night there too but we had snow and rain and nothing showed. I was really expecting a big night for yotes. After thinking g about it I belive the bear lugged a few deer carcasses off I to the woods and I belive the yotes found it keeping them off my bait and in the woods.

deerslyr1 nice looking fox. how far is your bait shot? those rib cages are awesome coyote candy, I use them when I can get them. Friday night was bright here, I was up till 12:30 ....nothing... went to bed... up early Saturday morning at 7:15 ..243 barked and had a coyote on the fresh snow ...small female. when I went out to retrieve it the snow was littered with fresh tracks.....judging by the pairs and the directions they came in from I think there were 2 pairs. sorry no pic... my camera quit which is upsetting because I really liked it ,, sony cybershot locked open can't get it to do anything and it had a full charge. Been an awesome year by my standards which are not super high but a lot of fun no matter how you slice it. and those fresh tracks are telling me it will be a good winter as long as I can keep their interest with bait.
good luck

Deerslyr1, I am envious I have to admit. 599 photos and most were coyotes. Wow! That's hard for me to fathom.

Nice going on the red fox, but seems the bear may have messed up the coyote shooting. Hopefully it will all work out. I'm anxious to hear a good story and see some downed coyotes.

Good luck.

6mm I've been dealing with bears up there constantly, in my apple trees and now the bait... and it seems to be getting worse every year . This year a friend shot his bear off my porch... that's the 2nd bear we have taken there....doesn't seem like alot but in this state no baiting or dogs allowed for bears so it's tough. This is the latest I've ever had them around usually they are den'd up by now.
Anyway ya Lotta pics I had a pic of the fox I took too but only a few. From my count I was missing 2or 3 rib cages so I'm sure that messed it up because the pics had them coming and going every day.....I'll getem next weekend!

First time on this sight in a very long time.I have had very good results with dime size exits on fox with my 17 rem by using 25 gr. hollow points (not mef) with reduced loads at 2800 fps using 4831. Problem is that powder really fouls the gun.Am going to try some bluedot reduced loads, have read alot of good reports.I will weigh every round and sight check powder level to make sure i dont double charge.

That sounds interesting JMark, and welcome back. Be sure to keep us informed how the loading goes.

I have been thinking that even backing the velocity down to around 3500 fps might be OK, something near .17 Hornet velocities. ARCOREY had told me sometime back that he used his Remington Model 7 short barrel .17 Remington in the 3500 range and had very good success on fox. Currently my average load is running 3921 with 25 gr. Hornady HPs.

Recently I tried some of the now discontinued and famed Berger 25 gr. Target Match. I have had a box of 200 of those sitting on the shelf for a while so decided to try them. I have shot three gray fox with them. The first appeared like it just died of a heart attack. Not one speck of blood on it, nothing. It was classic. But, the second fox was ripped terribly in the back from a shot too high. just runied. The third fox had a small exit that could be sewn up, so with this limited testing, I have a feeling that slowing that bullet down just a bit might work. The only problem is that when those bullets are gone, they are gone forever.

What 25 grain bullet are you planning on trying?

I have several boxes of the 25gr. berger target .I will use my berger 25 gr. mefs to sight in and save the target for fur. I have heard that the hornady 25 gr. hollow point works well on fur. It dosnt matter what center fire you use a high back shot is a mess.

The 25 gr Hornady works great on coyotes. It drops them on the spot with no exits, plus they are very accurate in my rifle. They are, however; too much for fox.

I stocked up on the Hornadys when I could, and have over a dozen boxes. They should outlast me.

Finally figured out the new phone camera... saw this one early this morning and could not resist....bang DRT. This coyote is like no other coyote I have ever seen or shot. this one was 38# ...toe nails really long and razor like...head is short and wide...body same way ..... must be a different gene pool.... all other coyotes are longer and narrower.

I would say ...probably.... after close inspection and some internet sleuthing...probably red out of Ontario. Hard to say what percent because they interbred...coyotes and reds. at least that is what I read. the qualities that it exhibits suggest yes it has some wolf. from what I read the coloring pattern on the legs is another clue. This was only half the story from yesterday. After I hauled it home....I was making lunch looked out back ....and there was another one ..this was a big male for sure and more shepherd/coyote like. I watched it for a few minutes as he wanted to go to the bait but I think my fresh scent kept him away. a came in/out of the woods numerous times but could not get a shot... and then he was gone. my guess he will be back. our deer in the area have taken a beating as we have no doe season compared to other parts so getting rid of a bunch of coyotes should help the deer herd.

Hello all,

What a great thread! I spent a couple weeks worth of evenings reading it all through. Looking to start baiting for all predators at my hunting club on MD's Eastern Shore as soon as duck and goose seasons close, in early February.

We haven't had coyotes on our place In the past, though there are some in other areas nearby. Seems they crossed the river our property borders though since they've been heard on our land this year.

We are over run by fox, raccoons and possum and rats have been tearing into our storage shed too.

I hope I've learned enough reading this thread to shorten the learning curve so I can post some photos soon!

JPK

Originally Posted By: dog drillerI would say ...probably.... after close inspection and some internet sleuthing...probably red out of Ontario. Hard to say what percent because they interbred...coyotes and reds. at least that is what I read. the qualities that it exhibits suggest yes it has some wolf. from what I read the coloring pattern on the legs is another clue. This was only half the story from yesterday. After I hauled it home....I was making lunch looked out back ....and there was another one ..this was a big male for sure and more shepherd/coyote like. I watched it for a few minutes as he wanted to go to the bait but I think my fresh scent kept him away. a came in/out of the woods numerous times but could not get a shot... and then he was gone. my guess he will be back. our deer in the area have taken a beating as we have no doe season compared to other parts so getting rid of a bunch of coyotes should help the deer herd.

You may be right on the wolf, a few years back I shot one mid Ontario, red as a fox and 52 lbs. way bigger then a coyote Cheers Bill

JPK.... nice to have you..... sounds like you have an assortment hunting opportunities.... which means lots of fun.

Coyotebill... wow 52#... if he was built like the one I got that must have been something. Are hey still doing anything with that red wolf program.

I covered a wide area late Saturday scouting for Sunday and did not see any coyote tracks anywhere. It is funny how sometimes there are tracks everywhere you go and other times ...nothing... especially when the area covers almost 15 sq. miles.

Thanks guys. This thread has been an interesting read, and informative as all get out.

I also found myself rooting for you guys on your hunts!

I hope gobbler getter and the MD gentleman check in, I would love to hear how they've been doing.

JPK

I just shot a beautiful 42 lbs. coyote. got a little nervous after the shot as he didn't hit the ground dead.there was no blood witch is normal for the 17 rem.It took a while in the dark but finally found him 20 yd. away in the thick pines.Fun

Back