Baiting

Well I'm up a date running....set my bait and alarms out as usual yesterday at my camp. Wasnt even w hrs later and the alarms went off....here's the result....nice male grey fox. Shot him in the head at 100yds.
I think it's gonna be a good year already taken 1 yote and 1 fox and it's not even January yet.

Mike, you might want to give the cheaper Driveway Patrol a try. It works very well, depending on how far your bait site is. I think they are something like $16 on Ebay. Just one thought, but it's a good one and given me very good service. I now have four of them.

Hello

long time lurker and learner, but this is my first post.

I have been using bait to hunt coyotes for a couple years now, in this province we can not hunt coyotes after dark which seems to be very effective in maine and other states. With the current state of the local deer herd every thing I personally feel with the exception of poision should be used to control coyote numbers.

I setup my first bait site saterday, my setups a generally 150 yard shots from a heated blind. Early in the year I like to be looking bluff to bluff and try to incorporate a large hill or stream to control which way they come from. We dont have great numbers here but coyotes are responsible for eating a pile of lambs, its not easy to shoot 6-8 dogs a year in broad daylight with any technic but with a little time spent in the woods its manageable.

I will post pics of kills and setups as the winter progresses...thanks.

Originally Posted By: Uncle MikeAnyone using the Chamberlin motion detectors or using something else?

Thanks. I need to buy something this week and am looking for ideas
I use the Chamberlins and I have a Dakota. The Dakota works at greater distances I belive but shorter batterie life.

Originally Posted By: yotieaddictHello

long time lurker and learner, but this is my first post.

I have been using bait to hunt coyotes for a couple years now, in this province we can not hunt coyotes after dark which seems to be very effective in maine and other states. With the current state of the local deer herd every thing I personally feel with the exception of poision should be used to control coyote numbers.

I setup my first bait site saterday, my setups a generally 150 yard shots from a heated blind. Early in the year I like to be looking bluff to bluff and try to incorporate a large hill or stream to control which way they come from. We dont have great numbers here but coyotes are responsible for eating a pile of lambs, its not easy to shoot 6-8 dogs a year in broad daylight with any technic but with a little time spent in the woods its manageable.

I will post pics of kills and setups as the winter progresses...thanks.
Great. It can be tough limited to daylight hunting. Good luck and keep us posted.

Uncle Mike, you will not be able to receive a signal from the driveway patrol at that distance unless you install antennas on both the transmitter and receiver.?

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpUncle Mike, you will not be able to receive a signal from the driveway patrol at that distance unless you install antennas on both the transmitter and receiver.?

I use mine at 60 yards so it picks up well without the antenna. DoubleUp is the one who suggested the Driveway Patrol to me. It's a good unit and works well for me.

Thanks guys. I`ll get something here real soon. Heavy rain, nothing froze up yet around here. I wanna get my baits out but bait is limited so far this year so I am going to save what I have for later on.

I use the driveway patrol sensors, I have done the antenna mods on both senors and recievors. my bait is 85 yds any further than that they become un relieable....meaning sometimes alarm goes off sometimes it doesn't.
at 85 yds it works well and that's a chip shot at nigh with the NV...

Very nice pictures! Some coyotes and foxes seem to be very disturbed by the IR lights and some pay little to no attention at all to them. Seems like after they come a while they sort of calm down a little.

On the Driveway Patrol units, I regularly use mine at 145 yds with no problems, but right now have them on a closer bait site at 90 yds. I made a set for a Wounded Warrior Marine Lt. and sent them to him in Oregon. I verified them working to 240 yds before I shipped them, so some units apparently work farther than others with the antennas attached.

Took another red with the CZ 17. Results were not as good as I'd hoped with the Berger 25 gr. and larger hollow point opening.

Last edited:
Shooting the 17 Rem on the reds with the 25 Berger Match Varmint #17308 which has the larger tip opening. Both of these were hit in the lower chest and both had a pretty good size hole with the first one blowing out the bottom and the second opening up a pretty large exit. I don't know if they had been hit a little higher if the results would have been better. So far I'm not impressed with them.

Preddhunter
Over the years I also have had some bears,deer as well as coyotes take notice to my inferred cameras. Not all but some. And at times they will not cross near a camera.

Starting the new year putting the camera's out. Been pretty quiet seeing any coyotes since the 21st. Reloaded the bait pile ....beef rib cages and deer scraps so that should help pick things up. Been so cold I would have thought it would have moved them around and made them more active but seems just the opposite. Part of it might be that the bait is so frozen they have to really work to get it..... atleast I don't have to keep putting bait out at the rate I was. Tracks say they are around so I am not to worried.... just a matter of time. Been waiting for a good night to sit out and hopefully that will happen.. the last couple nights started out clear and promising but as darkness fell the clouds rolled in and killed that idea. Still have to do this the low budget way for a while. Hopefully we get to get out and call this weekend snow is low and rock solid hard for tracking but great fun to get outside. Got a beaver dam that needs checking out ...heard about coyote tracks around it and nobody hunts there and I have permission. Good luck to all.... Happy New Year

I had a little visitor hit the bait site this morning. I don't have the alarm set out yet though because I'm trying to chum them in to get comfortable with the location.

good luck NYyotekiller ...my fresh bait seems to be having some effect on the crows. They have returned and as more start coming back I am sure the coyotes will follow. we have received some fresh powder snow that should help with locating...hope to get out tomorrow and call.

Back