22 magnum vs 22 LR

Gudfshn3

Any opinions on the difference in Magnum and LR when it comes to shooting coyotes with a 22?? I want to buy something that isn't so damaging as my 223!!

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: mobowhtryou might want to look at the .17 WSM

looking at a 17wsm is a good idea. buying one is not a good idea.

yeah, sorry man.....Im only in the market for a .22. I have thousands of rounds of .22 LR and want to make sure it is adequate enough to kill a yote!!

I've shot a decent amount of groundhogs over the years with the 22lr, 22 mag and the 17hmr. I can tell you i perfer the 22 mag to all 3 as long as you keep the shots to 125 yards. Sure the 17 shoots flatter but doesnt have the knockdown power of the 22 mag. Alot of groundhogs ive shot with the 17 needed a followup shot as to where 90% of the time the 22 mag is a one and done. Only downfall of the 22 mag is ammo is becoming scarce and really expensive as compared to the 17.

Originally Posted By: YoteslayerWAIf you are gonna insist on a .22lr, i would suggest close shots inside of 50 yards and also head shots only.

I totally agree with this..

Originally Posted By: YoteslayerWAIf you are gonna insist on a .22lr, i would suggest close shots inside of 50 yards and also head shots only.

And if you can get them this close shoot them w/ a shotgun.
Use your 22 for plinking and small game and look for a fur friendly round for your 223.

Quote:
And if you can get them this close shoot them w/ a shotgun.
Use your 22 for plinking and small game and look for a fur friendly round for your 223.

.22 lr is a poor choice to me. .22 mag is better but marginal to 100 yds.
.223 has many factory loaded bullet choices. 55 psp is not bad. Or shoot em in the eye.

Originally Posted By: Gudfshn3
yeah, sorry man.....Im only in the market for a .22. I have thousands of rounds of .22 LR and want to make sure it is adequate enough to kill a yote!!

Ruger 10/22 or a Remington 570 are both good rifles.

Here is one idea - count how many 1000 rounds you have up. You can unload 22 LR for $.10/round. Dump $300 rounds and buy a Savage Axis for under $300, mount an inexpensive scope, and buy a box of ammo. Play your cards right get setup for $400 to $450.

Have heard a number of stories where guys have shot a coyote - skinned it out only to find 22 LR slugs in the animal that have been there for a while.

I just started coyote hunting so I don't know much. I hunt in an area that allows for bow, shotgun or rimfire. If I take a rimfire it's usually the 22 mag. I just sold a bunch of 17 WSM ammo on here because I never liked the B Mag. I think a 22 lr can work but everything has to be perfect.

Okay if you're .223 is damaging to the hides then you need to go with the lighter bullet and A ballistic tip like a 40 grain or 55 grain Hornady Vmax and you won't have any trouble damage the Pelts you still be able to put down the coyotes!

If your going to use a 22lr why not just learn how to trap or get a crossbow or a big bore air rifle why wound an animal and let it suffer with something that u know is very very very marginal at best even with a well placed shot a coyote could run several hundred yards and you'd never be able to recover him. Save all that ammo and plink at some fans with it.

I use a 22 mag quite a allot for foxes and love it I use hornday 30 grain or maybe it's 35 grain vmax not allot of fur damage and they are anchored drt. The 22lr I have killed a few kits with one tween the eyes and one shot broadside. I have also lost a kit fox to 22lr and that's why I use a 22 mag it works for everything and if I had to shoot a coyote with it I wouldn't hesitate to do so.

Last edited:
22lr worst possible choice I can think of(other than a Daisy Red Rider) for coyote. If they are close enough to cleanly kill with a 22lr you might as well us a club.

No comparison between a 22lr and a 22Mag. If you hit him right with a 22lr hollowpoint, it will definitely kill a coyote, but you won't anchor them like you will with a 22Mag. You can keep your 223 from being so rough on the fur if you choose a bullet that won't bust up so bad.

Originally Posted By: atd22lr worst possible choice I can think of(other than a Daisy Red Rider) for coyote. If they are close enough to cleanly kill with a 22lr you might as well us a club.

Anything rimfire is the wrong choice...use correct ammo in your AR

Back