22 magnum vs 22 LR

Get a shot gun, no coyote deserves to die a slow death from rim fire shots..
Coyotes are tough, you will have to call them close, with a .22 rim fire.
Rule of thumb is they come in fast, leave faster, getting a well placed shot will be difficult..

Originally Posted By: atd22lr worst possible choice I can think of(other than a Daisy Red Rider) for coyote. If they are close enough to cleanly kill with a 22lr you might as well us a club.

Every coyote I kill is within 30yds, most of the time within 20yds!! I could get away with a sling shot if I wanted to!!

Sounds like I will just keep using the .223 Range and fur damage has nothing to do with me being curious about using a .22lr I just do a lot of hunting around a lot of houses and during big game hunts and wanted something a bit quieter and less bulky. Every coyote I have ever shot has been within 30yds, which I think can be easily killed with a 22lr to the heart or behind the ear. Either way, thanks for all the input and opinions!! Think I will stick with what I know works!!

Then you don't need help from any of us then, hey?Originally Posted By: Gudfshn3Originally Posted By: atd22lr worst possible choice I can think of(other than a Daisy Red Rider) for coyote. If they are close enough to cleanly kill with a 22lr you might as well us a club.

Every coyote I kill is within 30yds, most of the time within 20yds!! I could get away with a sling shot if I wanted to!!

Originally Posted By: dennydThen you don't need help from any of us then, hey?Originally Posted By: Gudfshn3Originally Posted By: atd22lr worst possible choice I can think of(other than a Daisy Red Rider) for coyote. If they are close enough to cleanly kill with a 22lr you might as well us a club.

Your reply was extremely helpful....thank you so much!!! No......don't need help, just opinions!!

Gud, given your range your shooting them at, and like you said your hunting in built up areas, that is why I suggested the shotgun, reason being, I am sure you have one, and if you haven't called in any multiples yet you will, using the shotgun you have the piece of mind for safety in your calling area and the ability to dump a double or triple, no way you will pull that off with a rim fire cartridge. I know the noise will be more, but I would rather be safe...

P.S. I use the .223 and the .22-250 for most of my hunting, most of my coyotes end up with entry no exit, but I hand load and use only specific bullets for each gun, I use a 52 grain Speer hollow point for the AR and 50 grain Vmax for 22-250,This is a result of years of experience with terminal ballistic experience on coyotes. Check some of the old threads on the board maybe try a different bullet,I will say I had terrible results with the 55 grain Vmax in my AR, tore the coyotes apart...But other guys love them...

Last edited:
Back