list of questions

Originally Posted By: Stu Farish

But, if you're loading ammo & getting good groups, then odds are you don't really need this tool.

Stu, I think reloading is like most any other hobby that adult males get involved in. Some go to every extreme to get it as perfected as possible, some take the middle ground and decide somewhere along the line that it is "good enough", and then others start and decide after a while that it wasn't what they thought and quit altogether. The perfectionists usually end up (not always) with every tool and gadget known to mankind in an attempt to get it perfect. The middle ground guys buy reasonable tools and stop there.

I'm an admitted perfectionist. I've got stuff that I never should have bought and probably will never use.

Took me 3 sets of Lee dies for. E to decide its a no-go on them. I have some other Lee products that are fine...I'll never have a set of dies again.

For the OP, a quick check of run-out can be done by rolling the loaded round on a flat surface such as counter top or glass table.(even a slight amount can be seen)
I just checked 5 rnds of 300 WSM on a fixture that I made; 3 were less than .003" and the other two .003" and .004".
In my experience this amount of run-out made little to no difference in accuracy.
I forget how many rnds I used, but separated some...around 20 IIRC.
Strange thing that all five of these that I just checked, all new brass sized with a RCBS die and the best one measured just over .001"
I have several pieces once fired that have just been necked sized...curious now what they will look like when I try them.

Here goes, five on the left are ones I measured/mentioned earlier in the post. Five on the right are neck sized only and loaded the same...300 WSM , WLRM primer, 66.7g AA3100 , 2.855 OAL.
The neck sized only had much less run-out, 4 with less than .001" and one that reads .004"...my home made rig has room for improvement though..it could be that the brass resting against the magnetic base is showing run-out from a not fully seated primer or an extractor/ejector mark.
Remember a sheet of paper measures ~.004".
Point is (IMO) we start splitting hairs....lol...then we have a good shooter..lol
None the less..I will shoot two different targets. you think that one of the five will be a flyer?

guess I forgot how to post a picture...lol

ETA- 165g Nosler AccuBond...kaching, kaching

Last edited:
Back