Best .17 hornet on the market?

Havock

I've decided to pick one up for predator hunting this year.
I've become pretty interested in the caliber, and have been looking at the Savage and CZ versions.
I'm not aware of any other brands that make this particular rifle. Anyone have any experience with these rifles and their build qualities? Thoughts on usage?

I'll be hunting fox, bobcat, as well as coyote this season. Looking to prevent pelt damage.

Last edited:
Ruger gets my vote. I have a custom Bullberry TC Contender and the Ruger bolt gun. My Ruger will shoot 3 factory loads into a tiny little clover at 100 and I have a buddy with the same ruger and his does the same never measured the groups but they are tiny!

The CZ is by far the best choice for a factory 17HH rifle as of right now.

The reports on the Rugers accuracy can be for lack of better words.. Hit and miss. Just as they were in the same rifle chambered in 22 hornet. I do like the way the rifle handles and the flush mag is a bonus. I love mine in 22 hornet but I come to realize a long time ago that an inch+ was as good as it got. Plenty good to hunt critters with but when targets get small and range gets long, I reach for something else.

The Savage is so ugly... If they were giving them away I'd take a pass. I don't care how good they shoot... Life's too short to shoot an ugly rifle. That model 25 has been known to have some extraction/ejection issues anyways. Besides.. Its so freakin ugly only a mother could love it...

I've owned both a Savage and a CZ in 17 hornet. I still have the CZ even though the Savage was more accurate. Besides the backwards safety, I absolutely love the mini-mauser style CZ action.

Go with the CZ. I have the 17HH varmint version and I love it. I also shot a Savage for a day and there was no comparison, IMO.

I'll PM you a link to a review on the Model 527 17 Hornet I did (if you don't mind seeing critters getting blown-up).

Eric
cool.gif

I got the Savage first, because it was what I found first. That was a mistake. I shot it about 100 times and it was NOT accurate at all. Of course I never got around to reloading for it because it blew up (cracked the stock, blew off pieces of the bolt and brass stuck in the chamber). That was just with the factory 20gr V-max ammo from Hornady. After Savage replaced the rifle, I sold it and got the CZ527 Varmint. I love it. Very accurate, and lightweight, plus it looks a lot better.

Cooper also makes them too, if you have the $.

Last edited:
Hm, so pretty much everyone is leaning towards the CZ or the Ruger over Savage eh?

Furhunter, are non factory options more accurate? I imagine customs would be considerably
more expensive than the CZ's tag of around 700. It's a shame some people find the Savage's
more accurate. Is there any work you can do to the other models to improve accuracy?
I know that one of the Savage models offers a 24'' barrel.

I don't know if its the best but Id go with the Ruger. Ive shot the CZ 455 in 22 magnum and a CZ in 221 Fireball and they are nothing to write home about! Ill not shoot another!

Originally Posted By: HavockHm, so pretty much everyone is leaning towards the CZ or the Ruger over Savage eh?

Furhunter, are non factory options more accurate? I imagine customs would be considerably
more expensive than the CZ's tag of around 700. It's a shame some people find the Savage's
more accurate. Is there any work you can do to the other models to improve accuracy?
I know that one of the Savage models offers a 24'' barrel.

A Cooper is going to run ya a couple grand. So the CZ at near 700 is a good option. Some guys are really happy with their Rugers but I would hesitate on one because of my previous experience with my 22 hornet. Its a great handling little rifle but that action isn't very well known for its accuracy. Some have shimmed the bolts on the Ruger hornets and its helped. I havnt heard of too many guys having to do that with the 17's but I don't think there's as many of them out there yet as the 22 hornets though. Time will tell. The CZ is worth the extra money in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: marcoI don't know if its the best but Id go with the Ruger. Ive shot the CZ 455 in 22 magnum and a CZ in 221 Fireball and they are nothing to write home about! Ill not shoot another!

Ummm yea ok...
What's the rimfire model 455 have to do with the 527 in 17HH? Not a very fair apples to apples comparison is it?

What ammo were you shooting thru the 221? Factory fodder or was it someone's reloads? So do you think it was the rifle, the ammo, bad scope or the guy pulling the trigger?

Yep, me too. CZ is hard to beat. I purchased one last summer in .17 Remington. As was mentioned, the Mauser action is sweet.

I am STILL waiting to get my .17 hornet....when i do i am going with the CZ. Leery of the Rugers due to stated "hit or miss" and that 25 is just terrible. I have 3 other savages so CZ it is...unless something better comes along in the next year. Ammo availability is still a concern and a potential deal breaker for me. Not looking to spend a fortune on ammo when i already have a .17hmr. I will however buy any ammo i can find for it in the mean time, that can easily be re-sold if need be.

The CRF CZ action seems to be accurate in the rifles they produce and it would probably be a good option for the 17 HH, but calling the CZ action with a detachable magazine a "Mauser" would probably make Pete Paul Mauser pucker in disgust.

Calling the CZ action a Mauser is like calling a base line Chevy two door hardtop a Corvette. They are similar in some ways but far different in others with a lot of Mauser patented design ideas not a part of the CZ design. In the same vane, a CRF Winchester Model 70 action (both pre-64 and in the newer CRF form) is far from being a Mauser action also, but its a few giant steps closer than the CZ action is.

Originally Posted By: Winny FanThe CRF CZ action seems to be accurate in the rifles they produce and it would probably be a good option for the 17 HH, but calling the CZ action with a detachable magazine a "Mauser" would probably make Pete Paul Mauser pucker in disgust.

Calling the CZ action a Mauser is like calling a base line Chevy two door hardtop a Corvette. They are similar in some ways but far different in others with a lot of Mauser patented design ideas not a part of the CZ design. In the same vane, a CRF Winchester Model 70 action (both pre-64 and in the newer CRF form) is far from being a Mauser action also, but its a few giant steps closer than the CZ action is.

Well, it's basically universally known as a micro or mini Mauser action irregardless of the differences of the original Mauser action. Sorry, but myself and 6mm are not incorrect in our description.

Originally Posted By: coyotekillerNEOriginally Posted By: Winny FanThe CRF CZ action seems to be accurate in the rifles they produce and it would probably be a good option for the 17 HH, but calling the CZ action with a detachable magazine a "Mauser" would probably make Pete Paul Mauser pucker in disgust.

Well, it's basically universally known as a micro or mini Mauser action irregardless of the differences of the original Mauser action. Sorry, but myself and 6mm are not incorrect in our description.

And opinions aren't always facts. Facts have substance. Its too bad that Peter Paul Mauser himself isn't here to chime in about your opinion.

"basically universally" sound like a wishy-washy opinion. How many opinions are required with "basically universal" added to them cause an uninformed opinion to become a fact. You sound like a speech writer for Obama.

Carry on.

If I'm wrong, I'll stand corrected. I certainly don't want to give wrong information. I have always thought the CZ has a Mauser action, specifically a mini-Mauser. Maybe not. Maybe I'm wrong and I'm ready to learn the difference so I will know if anyone cares to educate me.

The Internet is ablaze with others thinking the same thing, so at least it's not just my thoughts. Of course, everyone could be wrong and stating something that isn't true. The CZ is still my choice of the ones mentioned earlier in this post.

Regardless, the CZ is a fine rifle and action in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: coyotekillerNEOriginally Posted By: Winny FanThe CRF CZ action seems to be accurate in the rifles they produce and it would probably be a good option for the 17 HH, but calling the CZ action with a detachable magazine a "Mauser" would probably make Pete Paul Mauser pucker in disgust.

And opinions aren't always facts. Facts have substance. Its too bad that Peter Paul Mauser himself isn't here to chime in about your opinion.

"basically universally" sound like a wishy-washy opinion. How many opinions are required with "basically universal" added to them cause an uninformed opinion to become a fact. You sound like a speech writer for Obama.

Carry on.

Winny, quit trolling brah. Any member here can Google search CZ 527 action, and it will overwhelmingly be described as a Mauser style action. It's not my opinion.
I'm sure you're an awesome encyclopedia of gun knowledge who likes to throw out corrections on every little detail of every gun fact ever, good for you. [beeep], go Frankenstein up Peter Paul Mauser from the dead with all your knowledge and have him correct me and the rest of the internet. I Do Not Care. Your posts do make me laugh a lot though.
I don't take the internet or even myself that seriously.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
If I'm wrong, I'll stand corrected. I certainly don't want to give the wrong opinion. I have always thought the CZ has a Mauser action. Maybe not. Regardless, the CZ is a fine rifle and action in my opinion.

6mm, we're definitely wrong, but yet right. We're just too inept to comprehend why we're actually wrong, but right. Lol.

It does amaze me how a Model 96 or the IMO better M98 Mauser made over 100 years ago look very very similar to today's actions. How many improvements were made to Peter and Pauls designs in the last 100 years?

Back