Good "cheap" 22...opinions?

The rifles; I could tell the bolt on the old rifle is easier to manipulate so the spring could be the problem. I think someone on here suggested that quite awhile ago. Thanks

And back when I was first legal age to buy them, you could find these just about anywhere..(besides Dairy Queen)for around $10 for a box of ten (500 rnds)..aaahh the `good old days`.
lol.gif

ETA- My freshman year of HS wood shop, I sanded down the stock and finished it with linseed oil.
The cardboard the shells are on has a group from my latest AR using 65g Game Kings and Varget. Need to try a different powder.

Last edited:
Just placed an order at Midway for a new recoil spring after taking the old rifle apart.
Found the original spring to have a bit of dog-leg tweak in it so that may be the issue.
I read somewhere that a guy replaced his recoil spring after 1,000 rnds. I know this spring I have to be original (never taken it that far apart) and way more rounds through it than that.
$2.99 I think for the spring..of course I just had to order something else; another Houge AR grip and some shoot-n-see targets is all.
The rest of this rifles inner workings looked to be in decent shape other than some good amount of wear on the extractors.

Originally Posted By: HookedThe rifles; I could tell the bolt on the old rifle is easier to manipulate so the spring could be the problem. I think someone on here suggested that quite awhile ago. Thanks

And back when I was first legal age to buy them, you could find these just about anywhere..(besides Dairy Queen)for around $10 for a box of ten (500 rnds)..aaahh the `good old days`.
lol.gif

ETA- My freshman year of HS wood shop, I sanded down the stock and finished it with linseed oil.
The cardboard the shells are on has a group from my latest AR using 65g Game Kings and Varget. Need to try a different powder.

Hah they were the good days!...but prolly never again! I'm kind of liking the new model 60 being a bit more compact. I'll have to check them out ASAP. Didn't get to go look at rifles this weekend because I got roped into bailing hay instead. Wouldn't you know I left my 223 at home and had a coyote at 80 yds for about 5 minutes but that's a whole different story hah! Thanks for the info and pics!

Ruger 10-22 or I even bought a Henry lever gun for a little better than 200, if your dead set on price I am sure Savage or Marlin will have a model for you.

I have Remington 597, ruger 10/22, 2 marlin 60's all factory and the 597 is the most accurate, then the 60's. Then the 10/22. Have marlin xt-22, savage mark IIG in bolt action and the marlin is most accurate. Both factory...GW

Originally Posted By: goodwrenchI have Remington 597, ruger 10/22, 2 marlin 60's all factory and the 597 is the most accurate, then the 60's. Then the 10/22. Have marlin xt-22, savage mark IIG in bolt action and the marlin is most accurate. Both factory...GW

Thanks for the info! What kind of groups do you get out of the 597 and marlin 60?

Last edited:
Late to notice this post.

My 2 cents worth. For squirrel hunting, go with a semi-auto. Whether its a Ruger 10/22 or a Marlin 60, flip a coin or just find one that's the lowest priced. I write this simply because of when much younger and hunted squirrels, had a Marlin 99M1 semi auto....the 99 became the Marlin 60 later. Anyway, for me I never had a long shot when it came to shooting a squirrel. I'd be somewhere close to the tree the critter would be and just waited for it to peek around the trunk, over the top of a limb, or be in the notch of where a limb joined a trunk. Had my Marlin 99M1 scoped with a 3-8 (not a typo) scope and just looked for something round where there should have been only straight wood. Chuckle, you'd be surprised by how many squirrels I dropped with a bullet between the eyes......squirrels are very curious to see where you are and will look for you while hiding most of its body. A semi auto is nice, when they are on the run and you need to get off more than one shot rapidly.

DGW thanks for the input! I am kinda leaning towards a semi auto because with my shooting I need all the help I can get lol! I recently got a chance to shoot my buddy's CZ bolt action (much more than I want to spend) and really liked the way it shot but like you said its nice to have a real quick follow up shot. I think right now I have it narrowed down to the marlin 60 if I go semi auto or look into that Zastava if I decide to go bolt action and can find some where I can actually put my hands on one. Thanks again!

Shelton

shelton573...Between the 2 it comes down to whether you like the tube feed magazine on the 60 or stack magazine in the 597. My wife uses the 597 for squirrels and I like the tube feed on the 60. Accuracy depends on the consistency of the ammo which has been bad on certain brands. IMO.
Like DGW said look for a good price and u cant go wrong. If you find rem 597 make sure it is using latest generation of magazine. The all plastic ones are trouble. Thanks GW

I have a couple of 597s -older ones- and they're accurate.

The last couple of gun shows, I saw some 10/22 stainless steel takedowns that i liked the looks of. Comes with a nice padded case, $350 was the best price I've seen so far, dunno if they can be had cheaper or not.

Goodwrench-thanks for the info! I enjoyed the tube feed on the one I had but also like the ease of use of a mag. Thanks again!

Stu-I will have to check them out. Don't want to spend much over 200 though. Thanks For the info!

Shelton

Stu you were right that thing didn't last long! That woulda been one heck of a squirrel killer hah! Thanks for the link though, I was too slow!

Shelton

if I had some spare cash I woulda bought one. But we're in the middle of buying a house & spare cash is just something I remember from my distant past LOL

Back