Good "cheap" 22...opinions?

Originally Posted By: SShooterZFor dirt cheap accuracy, look at the Zastava bolt action guns. They were sold as Charles Daly Superior II and Remington Model 5s. Super accurate and inexpensive.

Next i would definitely look at the CZ for a little more or the Marlin Model 60. Proven platforms for plenty of accuracy also.

The Zastava and CZ can have their triggers adjusted fairly nice for very little extra effort too.

Thanks for the reply! Is there a specific model in the Zastava? Thanks!

Shelton

Last edited:
Another vote for the model 60. I have the same one from about the age of 10 years or so, but had to buy a new one a few years ago. Seems the recoil spring or something got weak in the original, and not sure but feels like the bolt opens too soon before gas can exit the barrel..started clouding my vision a lil` bit.lol
Henry makes a nice lever action but more money than the $160.00 for the Marlin.

I had a Remington 597 years ago, a POS even after a trip back to the factory.

Tried another one about 2 yrs ago. This one has been fantastic. Has eaten every kind of ammo I’ve tried. Don’t think it has ever malfunctioned in over 3000 rds. Any stoppage it has had was operator error, trigger finger not letting it reset.

Accurate, 0.3” groups @ 30 yds and I’m not the worlds best bench rest shooter.

Available at Walmarts all over for around $220. Don

Last edited:
I see that Hooked mentioned the Henry, which I wasn't going to because it's a little more spendy. My Henry Classic lever action .22LR is the most accurate .22 I own. I picked it up for under $300 because it looked so dang cool, but it turned out to be a real shooter. Very compact, and its a great truck gun that likes pretty much any ammo I feed it.

Originally Posted By: Theshedhunter My Henry Classic lever action .22LR is the most accurate .22 I own.

Same with my Frontier model in 22Mag but the op didn't say anything about lever guns.
Plus, the Frontier model's above the price he's looking for.
The regular little carbine in 22LR isn't much higher though and a great choice for a Squirrel gun IMO.

I had actually never considered a lever gun! Do you have the option to mount a scope on them (drilled and tapped)? Might be kinda fun to have a lever action for the right price! Thank you all for the replies!

Shelton

DonD, I had a couple of buddies who had the 597 and remember them shooting pretty good. Might have to take a look at them. Thanks!

Shelton

Originally Posted By: shelton573DonD, I had a couple of buddies who had the 597 and remember them shooting pretty good. Might have to take a look at them. Thanks!

Shelton

Appearance wise, I prefer the heavy barreled model but they weren’t available when I had the hots to get a new .22LR. Got a good deal on a fancy Ruger 10/22 that I wasn’t happy with. Wasn’t all that reliable, not that accurate and had a gritty trigger, quite unlike a 10/22 I had many years ago. Don

Yes,,, the receiver on the Henry's grooved for rimfire scope mounts. Or, Williams makes an inexpensive peep sight for grooved receivers. That's what I have on mine.

Not sure what they cost these days but a few years ago you could pick up their basic 22LR at Wall Mart for around 250.00.

Thanks.
We don't have eating Squirrels around here but if we did, my gun of choice would be a lever in 22LR.

Maybe GC will see this and chime in.
He shoots the heck out Squirrels with a lever.

Luck whatever you decide .

Originally Posted By: shelton573Hooked, would you say the newer one is the same quality/accuracy as the older one? Thanks!

Shelton

I believe so, but to be honest, I have not shot the new rifle enough to give a solid answer.
Other than a shorter tube magazine (a few less rounds) and lack of any engraving on the wood, they appear to be the same.

Dunhams usually has quite a few different .22's in stock and has them on sale sometimes, Rugers, Marlins, Rem. etc. My vote is for the Marlin 60 or 795. Don't rule out a bolt in .22 mag or .17HMR, at least there's plenty of .17 ammo out there.

Originally Posted By: hunt-m-upDunhams usually has quite a few different .22's in stock and has them on sale sometimes, Rugers, Marlins, Rem. etc. My vote is for the Marlin 60 or 795. Don't rule out a bolt in .22 mag or .17HMR, at least there's plenty of .17 ammo out there.

I'll have to stop by there when I'm in davenport this weekend. Thanks!

Shelton

Wind blowing a steady 30+ mph today, so I have been shuffling a few rifles around/wipe down..
Anyway, put my old Model 60 next to new, and there are more differences than I thought.
New model has a shorter barrel in addition to the shorter tube, and the charging handle on the bolt is different also.
I may post a picture later.

I have been looking at pics of them and noticed the new ones have a round charging handle compared to the flat ones they used to have. Didn't realize there was a barrel/mag tube difference though. Found one on a local gun site from back in Missouri (where I'm from) for $100 OBO. To bad I'm not there to pick it up and give it a try! Maybe I will find something closer. Thanks for the info and I look forward to an update/pictures if you get time.

Shelton

Back