Annual Groundhog & Woodchuck tally for 2014 (no Prairie Dogs)

It's a rem700 short action that I trued up and turned into a switch barrel. I run 308 on it sometimes and the barrel on it now is a 223 I chambered and profiled. Shoots like a house of fire and pushes 75amax at 2850 from 18" barrel 1/8tw. Fun rifle.

Here's a fatty I got Sunday at about 145yds. He was sunbathing when I give him the dirt nap special.

Numbers 2 and 3. Both taken behind my house, the second and third ones dumb enough to let me walk to the picnic table and get set up on my rest. Savage 10 .22-250, 55 gr. nosler varmageddons.

Got this mangy one at 161 yds. Ugly lookin bugger.

This one at 165.

Last edited:
This may be a dumb question but I'll throw it out there anyway. Can you call in ground hogs. We have a ton on the farm and they always seem to catch me when I'm coming in then the long wait for them to pop back out.
Nice shooting BTW hope to have some to add here shortly.

OK, I'm on the board for 2014. Shot this fattie at a leisurely 160 yards with my Browning Abolt 22 Hornet. Such a sweet handling rifle, a joy to carry. Not even sure the last time I sighted it in but it got the nod when I opened the gun cabinet and took care of business.

2622BFC3-160D-4A51-9FB4-C729524D556D_zps4bn1mpvo.jpg

20140503_143506_zpsdd17a526.jpg
broke my record kill shot, was just over 200yds now 310yds sry he fell back into the hole the bloody dirt will have to do.
20140503_145303_zpsc319cb37.jpg

Originally Posted By: brianmidmichThis may be a dumb question but I'll throw it out there anyway. Can you call in ground hogs. We have a ton on the farm and they always seem to catch me when I'm coming in then the long wait for them to pop back out.

Brian,
I am currently researching this. I have gotten ground hogs to "pose" for a better shot with a sharp whistle across a .17hmr case but to actually call one out of a hole the answer is not yet. I did some looking on the interweb and found where someone was using a prarie dog whistle to call woodchucks. So, since there is only truth on the internet I bought one, just waiting for the weather to clear to give it a try!!
BTW where abouts in MI are you? I am near GR.

wahoowad, beautiful rifle! I haven't had my 22 hornet out yet this year where the winter wheat got too tall before I could get any, and it has been too wet for much of any other sort of planting to get done. If we get some soy beans in the ground later this month, I should be good to go for some more great hornet action in June.

Here's my #4 taken at 170 yards this past Saturday. They're still few & far between in my area, and well... just haven't had time to start hunting them hard yet. But I'll get there. Ha Ha! This was my 22-250 shooting 55 Blitzkings again.

Originally Posted By: MulderOriginally Posted By: brianmidmichThis may be a dumb question but I'll throw it out there anyway. Can you call in ground hogs. We have a ton on the farm and they always seem to catch me when I'm coming in then the long wait for them to pop back out.

Brian,
I am currently researching this. I have gotten ground hogs to "pose" for a better shot with a sharp whistle across a .17hmr case but to actually call one out of a hole the answer is not yet. I did some looking on the interweb and found where someone was using a prarie dog whistle to call woodchucks. So, since there is only truth on the internet I bought one, just waiting for the weather to clear to give it a try!!
BTW where abouts in MI are you? I am near GR.

I live a little north of Lansing. Our family farm has a gravel pit on it and they are living on the edges of it. For some reason if you get within 250 yards they dart back in and I have sat on the top and in the bottom for hours with them to not show again until I'm about 300 yards away. I am not skilled in long shots so we just keep getting more and more each year. Last year they chewed up almost 2 acres for soybeans along the edge of the pit.

First hog of the year and first one with my new 6AI, it wasn't really very far for this setup just a tad over 300yrds but it was a big hog,
I didn't have a scale or bino's or bipod it was kinda a spur of the moment hunt, had a couple of hours free today and wanted to take it for a test drive, anyway 300yrds 105 Amax at 3200fps made a heck of a WOP when hit, he was standing facing me so I held right in the center of his chest he did a nice backflip on impact

IMG_20140510_150754_192_zpsqi08cnub.jpg

exit
IMG_20140510_150832_091_zpsfdaxeacq.jpg

my rest nice and steady but tough to carry around
IMG_20140510_161141_369_zpsemvom3ge.jpg

Nice lookin stick Rich.
thumbup1.gif
I haven't been on the site for a while due to some computer issues. Has not stopped me from smacking the ghogs though.
thumbup.gif

So far my total stands at 30 kills for the year. My longest confirmed kill is 576 yds. with my 223AI.Just picked up another 4000+ acres to hunt so should be a great year.

No pics yet... With the computer out of action,I never took the camera with me but will be posting photos from here on out.

Good hunting guys.

Dave

Originally Posted By: Squirrel22First one this year I forgot my ear pro first time and hopefully the last time this year
http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/bradyj...ccsayk.jpg.html

Hey Squirrel. You can get your pictures to post on your post page here like the other guys do.

When you go to your photobucket page and see all the little photos, put your cursor "over" the picture you want, and a little "gear" symbol will show up in the upper right hand corner.

Click that and a list will pop up. Click the second one "Get links".

A list will open - click the bottom one "IMG codes (forums boards)".

When you click it, it will automatically copy the line.

Now, just paste in your post, and the picture will show up automatically..

Wow, I only just nailed my 9th one behind the house here this evening. Nice 300yd'er, but wasn't the best shot placement in the world. Some of you guys are really tearing it up. Stay after 'em!

Went out yesterday afternoon to bust some hogs but the fields were too tall on every farm I visited.

Was able to get this one though. He was sitting on a rock when I pulled up. Tried to get on him but got nervous and went underground. Figured he would show himself in a few so I got to a better vantage point and waited. Sure enough it showed itself about 10 min. later. Distance was about 90 yds.

Used the 223AI to dispatch him. Puts my total for the year at 31.

[img:center][/img]

Nice, Yep I went out over the week end and all the fields were way to high except one they had just cut the alfalfa for silage and the big fertilizer tanker was out hosing down the field
sick.gif

Back