Annual Groundhog & Woodchuck tally for 2014 (no Prairie Dogs)

Yeah,I need to get the farmers to call me after they cut their fields. Would save me a lot of time and gas!!
crazy.gif

Went out again today and boy was it tough.It seemed all the farms I visited still had not been cut. Except for one but they were having a big party. As I was leaving the property,the owner pulled up and I told him I wanted to shoot some hogs but since he was having the party,did not want to disturb them and I was going to call it a day.

He said he would take me to the back side of the farm as to not interfere with the party.

Got the gear gathered and set off across the field. It's about 300acres of freshly planted corn. Did not see anything for about 2 hrs.
Decided to take a short walk from my shooting spot and low and behold I spot one. Never thought to grab my RF on the walk so I had to guestimate. Thought him to be about 600 yrds so I gave him two dots and squeezed. Hit waaay low. Chambered another round and gave him three dots. Still low but not by much. Windage was perfect.Gave it another quarter dot and sent one and watched the dirt fly right under his belly. He wanted no more of this game and headed underground.No sure what the distance was but I would say it was past the 700 yd. mark.

Anyways I decided to pack up and head to a different part of the field. Set up beside a big tree/rock pile and waited. About 20 min. later I spot one coming out of a break to feed. Pinged it with the Leica at 193 yds. Got set up and touched one off. DRT.

[img:center][/img]

Sat for a little while longer and it was quiet so I started to head back to the Suburban. Walked around a group of trees and spotted another one standing out from a rock break. Lasered this one at 175 yds.Chip shot.

[img:center][/img]

No more action after that.

It seems that any corn field I hunt does not have the ghog populations like an alfalfa or hay field does. Have any of you guys noticed the same thing?

Well hello. If this baby gives me a break I am going out. Got about 800 acres that needs some attention. Can't wait to start back up for 2014.

I got 2 more yesterday, but they don't seem to be nearly as plentiful as in past years. Took my first one with the 22hornet using 40 V-MAX's. That little recipe will cover me now out to 200yds. Beans are just starting up, we've got some hay coming off - so hopefully the activity level will pick up a bit now.

Up to 8 now for the season. I got out for an hour the other night and got a big and little one. I found swarms of them in a fresh cut hay field. Maybe tomorrow Ill go back out

Set up in a blind about 30 yards from the center of the eaten portion of the beans around 4 PM and the chucks will be out...plan on shooting 5/6 with 2 acres eaten off ....this the year to thin them out as they will be out for the beans until you kill them all. You can hunt there till July 4th or until you can no longer see them.

Mr. MidMich made this post some weeks back...

Last edited:
All:

Last night I added kills #20-24 ; 4 shots and 4 dead groundhogs with my .223 customized Mini Mauser. It was a great night and helped out a local farmer's bean crop though I wish I had been out there 2 weeks ago as he lost a strip 40 x20 yards.

The Speer 45 gr. soft point and 26 gr. W 748 continues to be a great performing and accurate load from this rifle. Can't say enough on how well my Burris 3-12 AO Compact scope no longer catalogued by Burris) complements this rifle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wahoowadi see nothing

Ditto

Went out yesterday they finally started cutting, sat on one of our best fields for over a hour never seen a hog.

Walked the field only saw 6 holes with any fresh dirt but never saw a hog,
Hit 3 more fields same thing, not looking good so far

Gentlemen:

You see nothing as I posted no photos, I don't have a digital camera and if I did, I would not likely take it hunting - I don't have the room in my fanny pack after water, signed hunting permission slips (required by law to be carried in Ohio when hunting), mosquito repellent, ear plugs, hand sanitizer.

The whole thing about "no photos, it didn't happen" was invented by others, not me. Strange no one wanted photos here a couple of years ago when the young guy in Bradford PA claimed to have killed over 100 in 3 weeks.....

I hunt the same soy bean fields I have hunted for the last 15 years+ for local farmers, and your success will be far higher than waiting for cut hay fields. So I know the hot spots in those areas every 3 years when crop rotation calls for beans.

The 4 of 4 kills on Friday were actually #20-23,not 24 [you will note my total was wrong] but I did go back Sunday night and killed #24 (huge male) ...knew there was at least one big one eating on that 40 yard strip as the 2 killed there were little groundhogs. And, mama ground hog is still there too at that spot. The other two killed on Friday were on the other side of that field. All 4 killed were from 5-7:30 PM.

Please note I am 62 years of age and hunting on a bum knee at present, but still walked apprx. 1-2 miles in all Friday as I was out there on other non-bean fields looking around from 4-5 PM for sentimental reasons I will not get into here.

You can call me pops but the joke is on you and your cameras; just keep working those bean fields...

Originally Posted By: BuckeyeSpecialGentlemen:

You see nothing as I posted no photos, I don't have a digital camera and if I did, I would not likely take it hunting - I don't have the room in my fanny pack after water, signed hunting permission slips (required by law to be carried in Ohio when hunting), mosquito repellent, ear plugs, hand sanitizer.

The whole thing about "no photos, it didn't happen" was invented by others, not me. Strange no one wanted photos here a couple of years ago when the young guy in Bradford PA claimed to have killed over 100 in 3 weeks.....

I hunt the same soy bean fields I have hunted for the last 15 years+ for local farmers, and your success will be far higher than waiting for cut hay fields. So I know the hot spots in those areas every 3 years when crop rotation calls for beans.

The 4 of 4 kills on Friday were actually #20-23,not 24 [you will note my total was wrong] but I did go back Sunday night and killed #24 (huge male) ...knew there was at least one big one eating on that 40 yard strip as the 2 killed there were little groundhogs. And, mama ground hog is still there too at that spot. The other two killed on Friday were on the other side of that field. All 4 killed were from 5-7:30 PM.

Please note I am 62 years of age and hunting on a bum knee at present, but still walked apprx. 1-2 miles in all Friday as I was out there on other non-bean fields looking around from 4-5 PM for sentimental reasons I will not get into here.

You can call me pops but the joke is on you and your cameras; just keep working those bean fields...

Buckeye

I was not referring to photos and I was not doubting you at all.
I was referring to groundhogs as in I have only seen one so far this year after about 4 outings,
My apologies I meant no disrespect

Had a great afternoon groundhog hunting today went out about 4:30 hit the first field glassed for about half a hour and spotted one about 400 yards, held right in the middle of its chest with the 6AI and sent a 105 Amax down range first hog of the day.
Saw a few more out around 640 yards but couldn't connect.
Then a few hogs started to pop up closer they were under 300 so out came the 20VT and took one at 190 and one at 240.
saw a total of 8 shot at 5 and took 3 much better than the last couple of times out

IMG_20140621_192453_312_zpspy4omwgd.jpg

Tried it out again last night hit 5 spots and saw 11, I was able to shoot at 4 and missed one at 640 yards with the 6AI.
Took the other 3 at 194, 240, and 290 yards with the 20 VarTarg
Left my phone in the truck on the charger for the 290 yard hog and wasn't about to carry it back for a pick,

240 yrds with 20VT
IMG_20140628_201558_573_zpsfc3ytccp.jpg

194 yrds with 20VT
IMG_20140628_172836_445_zpspqabhwwo.jpg

Went out tonight looking around the farm for groundhogs, I only brought the 17M2 since I was going to be close to the out buildings, and of course of the 6 groundhogs I saw only one was in range all the rest were 150 to 200 yards away, this one started out at 100 yards but a little crawling got it to under 50 and one 17gr Vmax and it was DRT, I love this little M2 for around the house or farm, its fairly quiet and very accurate.

IMG_20140702_185905_532_zps6turt9cg.jpg

Took some time out today to go look for some chucks, it was a little on the windy side so I took the 22-250AI with some 75gr Amax.
Seen a chuck in the first field we stopped at about 295 yards in a cut hayfield waited till it stood up and centered one right in its chest, if I didn't hear the WHACK I would have thought I missed from the dust cloud that came off that pig.
Seen another in the same field but couldn't get a shot tried to wait him out but it never did pop back up, went to a adjoing field and missed one at 80 yards with the 17HMR
mad.gif
saw a few more but no shooting opportunities ended up seeing 6 shot one and missed one.

IMG_20140704_203403_931_zpsswdxmjgp.jpg

Tried it again today but it was very windy and the fields are getting high with all the rain we had it was like the whack-a-mole game at the fair they were up and down so quick it was hard to get on them, seen about 10 but could only get shots at 3 and again missed two one at 300 the other at 460 but did get this one at 220 with the 20VT

IMG_20140706_104359_818_zpsdzekllxl.jpg

Back