POF or TIMNEY tiggers?

The Wilson I used was the two stage version. Pull was 4lbs and the cleanest break I have ever felt in an AR trigger. I have shot RRA two stage and have a Geissele SD-E in my current build, both feel good, but the Wilson blows them out of the water. The only reason I went with the SD-E is I wanted to try the flat trigger. It's nice, but I'm going to sell it and get another TTU.

Originally Posted By: rem700308ive got a 3lb timney in my dpms right now, and to be honest, im not impressed by it. ill try my best to explain why, the trigger was pretty easy to install, but after 1 range trip and dry firing the trigger quite a bit ive gotten used to it and i can honestly say even though there is only a extremely small amount of pre-travel[maybe 1/16th"]the trigger is gritty during that time until it breaks[its hard to feel but it is there] the tirgger does not feel like 3lbs but maybe 4-5 lbs but i do not have a trigger gauge so i can not say for sure. do yourself a favor and buy a geissele trigger of your choosing, i know my timney wont be around much longer i just cant afford a geissele right now

Something seems a bit off. I'd suggest calling up Timney to see if they can take a look at it. We sell hundreds of Timney AR triggers a year and haven't ever had a customer state what you just said. I personally have a couple of the Timney AR15 Trigger 667S myself and really like them. It should be lightweight with very little pre-travel.

Originally Posted By: roundcallPOF triggers are made by Timney.

Just curious, where did you hear that? We haven't ever heard that and carry both. The design of the triggers are quite a bit different.

Originally Posted By: carpsniperg2How about CMC?

The CMC AR Triggers are great for the money. However, for the price the POF are really attractive.

Personally, having shot the CMC and Timney back to back at 3gun competitions, I like the Timney better. I can shoot the Timney faster and like the feel of the reset better, but that could just be personal preference. The Timney has a bit nicer of a housing but is more of a pain to install than most drop in triggers. I really like the Timney's but for normal use the CMC's work well too. We sell a fair amount of both triggers.

I had issues with light primer strikes with a POF trigger a few years ago and when I talked to POF about it I was told to call Timney and they would take care of the issue for me. I sent the trigger to them and they put in new spring and solved the issue. Here is a copy and paste where POF started a thread about their triggers.

POF-USA IS PROUD TO HAVE WORKED WITH TIMNEY MFG., DURING THE DEVELOPMENT, AND TESTING OF THESE HIGH QUALITY TRIGGER GROUPS FOR "AMERICA'S RIFLE".  
POF-USA WILL USE THESE TRIGGERS EXCLUSIVELY IN ALL OF OUR RIFLES. 

TIMNEY MFG. P/N# 661 DROP-IN, 3 LBS., SINGLE STAGE, TRIGGER GROUP,
WHICH MOVES ONLY .030" TO PULL & RE-SET THE TRIGGER. 
THESE DROP-IN TRIGGER GROUPS ARE MANUFACTURED USING HIGH QUALITY MATERIALS,
ARE WIRE EDM, BILLET MACHINED, HEAT TREATED, AND PLATED.
JUST DROP-IN THE TRIGGER GROUP, PUSH IN THE SELECTOR LEVER AND THE TWO .154ø TRIGGER PINS, THEN TIGHTEN TWO ALLEN HEAD SCREWS AND YOUR DONE!
YOU WILL BE HARD PRESSED TO FIND A BETTER QUALITY TRIGGER GROUP ON THE MARKET.  

DEALER WELCOME!

BEST REGARDS,

PATRIOT ORDNANCE FACTORY

I liked RRA NM and and Timney triggers until I bought a Geissele Super Dynamic Trigger 3-Gun Version. You buy a trigger on how they work not how they look.

Of course, you can't really see them in a AR anyways. I just want to up the trigger quality. I don't feel like throwing a 70.00 trigger in a 2k build.

I just got my timney from joe bobs, 2 days by the way, I'm not a big ar fan but this trigger feels a 100 times better than the stock trigger. Zero creep and crisp.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: roundcallI had issues with light primer strikes with a POF trigger a few years ago and when I talked to POF about it I was told to call Timney and they would take care of the issue for me. I sent the trigger to them and they put in new spring and solved the issue. Here is a copy and paste where POF started a thread about their triggers.

POF-USA IS PROUD TO HAVE WORKED WITH TIMNEY MFG., DURING THE DEVELOPMENT, AND TESTING OF THESE HIGH QUALITY TRIGGER GROUPS FOR "AMERICA'S RIFLE".  
POF-USA WILL USE THESE TRIGGERS EXCLUSIVELY IN ALL OF OUR RIFLES. 

TIMNEY MFG. P/N# 661 DROP-IN, 3 LBS., SINGLE STAGE, TRIGGER GROUP,
WHICH MOVES ONLY .030" TO PULL & RE-SET THE TRIGGER. 
THESE DROP-IN TRIGGER GROUPS ARE MANUFACTURED USING HIGH QUALITY MATERIALS,
ARE WIRE EDM, BILLET MACHINED, HEAT TREATED, AND PLATED.
JUST DROP-IN THE TRIGGER GROUP, PUSH IN THE SELECTOR LEVER AND THE TWO .154ø TRIGGER PINS, THEN TIGHTEN TWO ALLEN HEAD SCREWS AND YOUR DONE!
YOU WILL BE HARD PRESSED TO FIND A BETTER QUALITY TRIGGER GROUP ON THE MARKET.  

DEALER WELCOME!

BEST REGARDS,

PATRIOT ORDNANCE FACTORY

POF ORIGINALLY had worked with Timney to develop their AR trigger around 2006. That business relationship is no longer current. POF's new trigger design uses rubber bumpers to secure them and is not user adjustable. The Timney and CURRENT POF trigger design are quite a bit different.

Originally Posted By: BailI just got my timney from joe bobs, 2 days by the way, I'm not a big ar fan but this trigger feels a 100 times better than the stock trigger. Zero creep and crisp.

That's the typical experience with them. I really like em! Thanks for the order!
thumbup1.gif

The POF 4.5LB Drop In trigger is competitively priced and really nice. The 4.5LB trigger works well for a heavier hammer hit for use with 308 and other larger centerfire calibers and surplus ammos.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: willy1947Trigger pull and hammer fall are not the same.

Sort of. Trigger pull and hammer fall are dependent on quite a few variables. Spring weight, geometry, mass of the hammer, etc. Not all light triggers will have a heavy hammer fall.

Originally Posted By: JoeBobOutfittersOriginally Posted By: willy1947Trigger pull and hammer fall are not the same.

Sort of. Trigger pull and hammer fall are dependent on quite a few variables. Spring weight, geometry, mass of the hammer, etc. Not all light triggers will have a heavy hammer fall.

You can install a JARD You keep the same hammer fall but change the trigger coil spring and trigger goes from 1.5 to 6 pounds.

Originally Posted By: willy1947Originally Posted By: JoeBobOutfittersOriginally Posted By: willy1947Trigger pull and hammer fall are not the same.

You can install a JARD You keep the same hammer fall but change the trigger coil spring and trigger goes from 1.5 to 6 pounds.

A Jard is going to have different trigger geometry than a milspec trigger or any other aftermarket trigger though. That's not a blanket statement that applies to all triggers otherwise nobody would ever have light primer strikes with a light AR trigger.

Last edited:
I was a die hard Geissele fan and still like their triggers when I need a 2 stage. I now prefer the Wilson TTU single stage triggers. They are by far the best single stage trigger that I have used in an AR. I want to try their 2 stage TTU next to compare to the Geissele.

I ordered a timney 3lb yesterday from JoeBob. I was wondering what is the deal with the restocking fee if it is returned. It says you "may" be charged it and it might be waived. So what are the circumstances where I would be charged the fee? If I get the trigger and it has to much creep and I don't care for it, am I going to be charged a restocking fee? Can either JoeBob answer or does anyone else know this answer? Thanks.

Last edited:
I have a a Timney 3# trigger and the RRA 2 stage match... The timney is better for shooting small groups, but in the winter when you are wearing heavy gloves... I prefer that RRA in that situation... For summer time hunting... Timney is the way to go

Last edited:
I wouldn't be afraid to try a JP Enterprise trigger, I run Timney and JP on my ARs. I've never had an issue with either, JPs customer service is awesome and they are in the business of building high quality ARs.

Installed a 2lb Jard single stage trigger years ago and had to do some mods on it to work properly. I would tell you to stick to a drop in style. I like the one that came in my POF but always strive for a lighter trigger.

Originally Posted By: 12RingI ordered a timney 3lb yesterday from JoeBob. I was wondering what is the deal with the restocking fee if it is returned. It says you "may" be charged it and it might be waived. So what are the circumstances where I would be charged the fee? If I get the trigger and it has to much creep and I don't care for it, am I going to be charged a restocking fee? Can either JoeBob answer or does anyone else know this answer? Thanks.

New, unused products can be returned for store credit without a restocking fee. We've sold hundreds upon hundreds of Timney triggers and issues are few and far between.

Warranty exchanges are done directly through the manufacturer if you have an issue with any product (Triggers or otherwise).

Back