Homemade Ghillie Suit

BigMT

Making this suit was pretty easy. I didn't go online and see how to make one until I was halfway done with the top. I am pretty handy with a sewing machine and thought why the heck not try. I found some old uniforms laying around the house and went for it. Used an Army top (one with a zipper front instead of buttons the Air Force has) and over sized bottoms to go over thermals when it gets cold here in MT.

I have attached a few pictures to clarify how I put it together.

Arm seams ripped to sew burlap on then re-sewn
[img:center][/img]
Zipper front
Pockets still accessable
Forearms bear to prevent entanglement in rifle
Inside of top to show where burlap layers were sewn from inside
Shows how burlap was laid and sewn in line
Under the leg pocket sew line
Bottoms. The suspenders are definitely a must!!

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Happy Hunting!

another picture of the top.

I will put up a couple pictures of the whole suit once I get a pic or 2.

That's awesome! (The zippered top was a great idea.)

I'm wondering how you got the burlap to stay on before, and as, it was sewn? (I can't imagine that pins are very effective with it.)

I know you're not finished yet, but what are your plans for a head piece?

Last edited:
Not taking issue with and your project but every time I read or hear of a home-made Ghillie Suit. Either make sure you use fire resistant material. The reason this concerns me is that a few years ago a local paint baller with a home-made suit sat down for a smoke, those fibers were like spontaneous combustion, he did not survive

Originally Posted By: parsonNot taking issue with and your project but every time I read or hear of a home-made Ghillie Suit. Either make sure you use fire resistant material. The reason this concerns me is that a few years ago a local paint baller with a home-made suit sat down for a smoke, those fibers were like spontaneous combustion, he did not survive

Thank God I don't smoke!! That was definitely a thought before making the first stitch. Fire retardant materials are very expensive and I had everything to make this one already around the house.

Originally Posted By: Miz KizThat's awesome! (The zippered top was a great idea.)

I'm wondering how you got the burlap to stay on before, and as, it was sewn? (I can't imagine that pins are very effective with it.)

I know you're not finished yet, but what are your plans for a head piece?

The stitching doesn't actually have to pierce the burlap strands, just needs to go over the top of it. With the strands folded over, the stitching goes just under the "folded" part and gets held on with no problem.

For the head piece I used an old Boonie Hat... Pic to follow.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BigMTOriginally Posted By: Miz Kiz

The stitching doesn't actually have to pierce the burlap strands, just needs to go over the top of it. With the strands folded over, the stitching goes just under the "folded" part and gets held on with no problem.

I didn't explain my question very well. Before you start stitching do you attach the burlap to the fabric in some way and then stitch through it, or are you holding each piece on by hand and then stitching them one at the time?
Patiently awaiting pics of the completed suit!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miz KizOriginally Posted By: BigMTOriginally Posted By: Miz Kiz

I didn't explain my question very well. Before you start stitching do you attach the burlap to the fabric in some way and then stitch through it, or are you holding each piece on by hand and then stitching them one at the time?
Patiently awaiting pics of the completed suit!

Held each piece by hand and stitched one at a time. Now that I look back at your original question, I get what you were saying.

Has anyone else made a homemade ghillie suit? My brother and I built another one a few years ago out of 1/4" netting. It worked really well, but looking for another way to do it. I'm in the mood to build another one.

And now the whole suit...

[img:left][/img]

OH MY Gosh! That is so awesome. I am quite impressed! I'll bet you can't wait to get out and use it. (I'm guessing one of the best parts is that it feels like regular clothes, and with no itchy stuff sticking through to your skin.)

I've never made one. Every one we've ever had ended up full of burrs and briers, knotted beyond use. (After only a use or two they looked like a long haired dog that had not been groomed in a year or two!)I'm impressed with the process you've used though and thinking that I might accomplish a similar effect with something other than burlap. I've just got to figure out what that "something" will be. I love the idea of sewing it onto ready-made camo.

Thanks for sharing the process with us through these pics.
Happy hunting in it!

Last edited:
Sweet, I used a piece of black trampoline netting I probably should have used a jacket and pants butit works fine, have killed yotes at 15 yards with it on.

The only thing I would have done differently is I would cut up one of the exercise mats and covered the front with it. The covered that with a double layered canvas to protect it. Canvas keeps down abbrasion and the pad makes it a little more comfortable if you happen to be on rocks. You can also can add a thumb loop using 550 chord keeping the sleeves from creeping up your arm as you adjust your firing postioon. At the same time you can put a loop in the bottom of your pants to keep them from riding up off your boots. Do you add any natural veg or just use it as is? If so, you can add those cloth covered rubber bands (hair ties) or short pieces about 6 inch) of 550 chord to tie in natural veg. I have never used one for yote hunting but I have used a ghille a time or two.

Hi Slo.
Welcome to PM!
You bring up some very helpful and useful ideas! I wasn't thinking about prone shooting, but if I were the exercise mat would be a great idea. It definitely sounds like you're familiar with ghillie suits. (I love the idea of the thumb loops. I'd like to put those on my camo tee shirts. I have a Sitka shirt with the thumb loops, and it is my favorite!)

I see you're in Colorado Springs. My son is a competitive shotgun shooter so we spend at least a couple of weeks a year out in Colorado Springs at the Olympic Shotgun range at Fort Carson. (Beautiful country around there! We were there during the Black Forest fire last summer. From the range we could see smoke plumes from both it and the Gorge fire, and watched helicopters making water runs. It was a bit surreal to be in a shooting competition while such a tragedy was unfolding around us.)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slo Do you add any natural veg or just use it as is?

Wherever I am going to be hunting at, I take an extra min or 2 and lay down and the burlap acts as velcro and grabs the vegetation. I just pick it out before I head back home so I don't drag it through the house... wife loves it when I do...

The idea for the thumb loops is a really good idea! I haven't had any trouble with the sleeves or pants creeping yet. I may put the loops in anyway though, just to have when it does creep.

On the elbows and knees there are pockets to put padding/foam in to help with relief from the rocks.

So far this has been a really great suit. 2 coyotes killed with it, 1 came from behind me and finally caught my sent at 10 yards. Scared the [beeep] outta me, never saw him coming... yet, he never saw the bullet coming either while running away. LOL!!

I was stationed at Fort Carson for 4 years. 2000-2004 and have shot many times at that same range! I kinda miss the place, but love living in Montana!

looks good i tried making one from burlap and 1/4 netting more of a poncho i burnt out on it and gave up might have to dig it back out and work on it again now though

Back