Homemade Ghillie Suit

Hey BigMT nice job. How much time would you guess it would take for a person that know how to run the sewing machine to put the top together? I've been thinking of having a lady I know make one for me for a few years. I'm guessing maybe 2 hours with everything right there and ready?

Originally Posted By: Coyote CruiserIf I was you I would be really worried about the nut jobs with the MILLION DOLLAR BIGFOOT BOUNTY. I wish that was really a joke.....

Good call! The thought has already crossed my mind! LOL

Originally Posted By: SnaggltoofHey BigMT nice job. How much time would you guess it would take for a person that know how to run the sewing machine to put the top together? I've been thinking of having a lady I know make one for me for a few years. I'm guessing maybe 2 hours with everything right there and ready?

I took my time with it, doing a little bit after work each night for about a week. It took longer to un-weave the burlap sheet than to actually sew everything on. I would guess about 2-3 hours would be about right if the burlap was ready to go. Overall cost was about $20 since I already had the uniforms and the sewing machine.

Having a good sewing machine to work with helps tremendously! I used a $90 WalMart special. Broke a dozen needles, jammed it up a few times, and about took it out and used it as target practice. Got it done though.

Last edited:
A good machine makes the difference like anything I suppose. Reminds me of an auction I went to a couple years back that was an old horse harness and saddle making place. They had all these old machines for doing different sewing and processes along the way, and they couldn't hardly give the stuff away. Like $10-$20 for these old nice sewing and leather working machines. When I got home I went online and did some research, and I about cried when I saw what some of the machines sell for to the right people. And they were all just really mechanically cool looking by design. I could of bought 2 pickup trucks full for less than $500. I did get some very nice large maple butcher block thick work bench tops for $20 though. I'm gonna see what the mom in laws machine can handle now! Thanks for the info.

Holy crap you would have had a gold mine!! I have worked on saddles myself, but by hand. A good heavy machine would have made the job so much easier!

Originally Posted By: ScalloperI would like a white ghillie suit, any ideas?

I have thought about making a snow ghillie as well. My ideas were to bleach the burlap, but haven't tried yet.

I was at work and we had a bunch of Tyvek suits. They are extremely cheap and are pure white. Be sure to get a size or 2 bigger to go over warm clothes. I then got a couple white flour sack cloths from WalMart and made a hood and wallah, snow camo for 1/4 of the price of a ghillie suit! Works great!

Last edited:
Back