Keyholing suddenly! Ahhh! 17Rem...

I did not send it back to CZ because:
1. It shot ok at the factory, as the test target shows.
2. It shot ok for me at first, and only went haywire after about 450-500 rounds.
3. At that point, it's not a factory defect. CZ would have looked at the barrel and said, yup, it's screwed but it wasn't like that when it left the factory. You can have it back now.
4. I would have wasted several weeks or months of my time waiting for CZ to tell me that my barrel needs to be replaced and they're not going to do it.
5. So I skipped to step 6.
6. Have a custom barrel installed.

19 weeks and 2 days later, I got my barreled action back from Pac-Nor. I got a 22" #3 stainless super match 17 Rem barrel in 1:9 twist plus an action trueing job and barrel install for $610 including return shipping.

I wasted not time and bedded the action in Devcon plastic steel putty that night. The barrel is completely free floated.

cz17a_zps0f560146.jpg

cz17b_zps2aefb77d.jpg

17_zpse3af7254.jpg

Took it out for a spin.

January92014022b_zpsd6dab5ad.jpg

January92014006z_zpsaf35e437.jpg

Tried a few 3-shot groups of several loads. No keyholing.
thumbup1.gif
It did NOT like 8208 XBR in 20gr or 25gr. Looks like I have a good staring point with 4320. Both these groups are in the 0.3's. A little more load testing and it will be done.

cz17c_zpsd67fefac.jpg

cz17d_zps2554be5c.jpg

Ok, we can close this thread now. Thanks to everybody who contributed.

thumbup.gif

You're right, this is a Predator Hunting forum. We can close it after I harvest some fur with it. (I tried 3 stands yesterday but saw nothing).

Quote:I got a 22" #3 stainless super match 17 Rem barrel in 1:9 twist plus an action trueing job and barrel install for $610 including return shipping.

What did they do to true the action?

I have had a few 3 groove 17 cal Pacnors and all of them shot very well.

I'm not sure, but here is what Pac-Nor says:
PacNora_zps54ea09fd.jpg

I saw there was shiny metal on my lugs and my bolt face. Not sure what else they did or what to look for.

FUR DOWN!

Ok. NOW we can close this thread. 25gr Hornady HP from 20 yards. This cat came in hauling @$$ like I've never seen from 100+ yards out, down a hill under a barbed wire fence across a dry creek and all the way in to my Foxpro. I whistled to slow him down for the shot. He looked at me and slowed just enough that I dropped him ten feet from my caller. Bang-flop! Got him an inch or two further back than I'd like but it happened so fast! His paws were smoking when I picked him up.

February42014092b_zpsc099e5ff.jpg

February42014096b_zpsa64fbdbe.jpg

That Cat must have been returning from the Medical Center as he's wearing a splint on his back leg.
unsure.gif

Nice job and happy you got your 17 running good now.

I didn't see any smoke on his paws either. LOL,I'm jealous. Sweet rifle and a great way to break it in!! Glad all worked out for ya.

nice bedding job! from a fellow .17 devote'. I am down to 103 Remington Express 25 grain bullets, and have to get started on gettin dies etc. I noticed that many of you use 4320 and Berger 25 Match HP. All I have is 4895 for my other centerfires, and I only found one recommended loading with that powder. I will start with that.

Yes. I got a great deal on a fine reticle and then sent it to Leupold to install the 1/4 moa CDS turret and cap. It was cheaper that way than to buy the CDS model and send it back for a fine reticle change.

Back