Are you seeing larger coyotes than before?

the impactzone

In the last 10 years I seem to see larger coyotes than I did before, and more cross dog /coyote? Is this just me in south Texas hunting close to urban areas and city’s? I have taken several coyotes that were in the upper end of 40lb and a few as of late that went 50lbs
This was a coydog 50lb I took last year next to a 35lb coyote

This is one that went 50lbs the other night

I'm not going to say that I've seen an increase of large coyotes, but I did just kill a real wolligopper of a coyote. It weighed 40.6lbs that's a toad for around here.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: the impactzoneIn the last 10 years I seem to see larger coyotes than I did before, and more cross dog /coyote? Is this just me in south Texas hunting close to urban areas and city’s? I have taken several coyotes that were in the upper end of 40lb and a few as of late that went 50lbs
This was a coydog 50lb I took last year next to a 35lb coyote

This is one that went 50lbs the other night

It seems to me the coyotes are getting bigger around here in southwestern,ohio to. Ive killed many while out deer hunting and baiting for them. I killed one last year at 2am in the morning and he weighed in at 40pds which is big for around here. What caliber rifle did you shoot that coydog with?

Last edited:
coydog I hit with 243 58gr v-max at about 3750fps @120 yards entrance was just behind shoulder on the off side the last one was with a 308 125gr Nosler at 3090fps at 250 yards entrance was front of the chest as he was facing 8:00

and how does a person know if they have killed a "coy dog"? ive killed odd colored coyotes but still just call them a coyote. how does a man tell??

Originally Posted By: jglynnand how does a person know if they have killed a "coy dog"? ive killed odd colored coyotes but still just call them a coyote. how does a man tell??

some people will say a real reddish coyote is a coydog but color alone really isn't a good way of picking out a hybrid. coyotes naturally have some red in them and some yotes have more than others. The best way Ive learned to tell is by the shape of snout and head. A coydog will usually have a shorter more square snout and more of a block shaped head than a regular coyote. Might as well leave those ones lay in the field. no fur buyers will take them around me.

The dogs around here are getting big.... I had one that looked massive sitting on top one of my round bales this past summer.

2 years ago the ministry killed two hybrid yotes (wolf x coyote) that they claim were coming into the area from Montana.

some people will say a real reddish coyote is a coydog but color alone really isn't a good way of picking out a hybrid. coyotes naturally have some red in them and some yotes have more than others. The best way Ive learned to tell is by the shape of snout and head. A coydog will usually have a shorter more square snout and more of a block shaped head than a regular coyote. Might as well leave those ones lay in the field. no fur buyers will take them around me.[/quote]

the fur buyer will not buy them because of the color or because of the short snouts and block heads?? if it is skinned, how do the tell it had a block head?

this just has me wondering. i hear alot people saying the are killing coydogs and i would think only a DNA test would tell.

Here's what I've noticed.

The internet and hunting forums have made more bigger, better, badder coyotes than mother nature ever could.

Has made better shooters, firearms, ammo, blah, blah, blah too.

Originally Posted By: jglynnsome people will say a real reddish coyote is a coydog but color alone really isn't a good way of picking out a hybrid. coyotes naturally have some red in them and some yotes have more than others. The best way Ive learned to tell is by the shape of snout and head. A coydog will usually have a shorter more square snout and more of a block shaped head than a regular coyote. Might as well leave those ones lay in the field. no fur buyers will take them around me.

the fur buyer will not buy them because of the color or because of the short snouts and block heads?? if it is skinned, how do the tell it had a block head?

this just has me wondering. i hear alot people saying the are killing coydogs and i would think only a DNA test would tell. [/quote]

You would be correct. I had a friend who took what he thought was a coydog to Mississippi State and they had it DNA tested and it was just a coyote and I suspect that is what most are... just plain ole coyotes. While 50 lb coyotes are pretty rare around here there are a few killed. I wished I would have weighed these four that were killed one morning in less than 30 minutes all at the same place. I think they all would have exceeded 40lbs.

Originally Posted By: jetmanIf It's black it's part dog!!!

That’s not the case as there are black coyotes killed from SE Texas all across the southern tier states and they are all just coyotes.
I have called in 7 total but only one got shot so far.

Last edited:
I think I read someplace that coyotes don't have the gene needed to be black. The have to get it from a dog or wolf, Just what I read.???

For the last two years there have been several of the largest coyotes I've ever seen in the wild around here. They are the reason I'm getting back into coyote hunting.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesHere's what I've noticed.

The internet and hunting forums have made more bigger, better, badder coyotes than mother nature ever could.

Has made better shooters, firearms, ammo, blah, blah, blah too.

Amen Doggin!! If I kill a red coyote it is just a red coyote. If it is looks and feels big, I just guess it at 50lbs.lol

Back