New to me, .204 ruger

I get real tight groups with 32gr and 35gr but it opens up to about 1" with 40's. I too will try the 39's and if they are under 1/2 MOA I would be happy. 32gr vmax and 35gr Bergers both group .25 to .50 consistently.

Well compared to the 22-250 and the 243 it is definately quieter. Now that s a matter of opinion of course and not trying to ruin my thread with debate over which is louder. ( I m sure its been debated on here before). I do have Inner Ear damage, FACT, and the 204 dont hit me as bad when I forget to put plugs in as the others. Oh did I mention the 7mm mag?

FWIW, I have two .204's, a Cooper MTV that shoots in the .3's and a Remmy XR100 that shoots in the .5's with any 32 grain bullets or the 39 gr Sierras. If I go to the 40 gr Vmax or Noslers, the groups open up to around an inch. The standard twist just doesn't seem to stabilize the 40's as well.

Originally Posted By: Don-TFWIW, I have two .204's, a Cooper MTV that shoots in the .3's and a Remmy XR100 that shoots in the .5's with any 32 grain bullets or the 39 gr Sierras. If I go to the 40 gr Vmax or Noslers, the groups open up to around an inch. The standard twist just doesn't seem to stabilize the 40's as well.

I bought a 204 with the 40 V-Max in mind. It was the only bullet I was interested in.

I got 1-1.5" groups
frown.gif

I got a second rifle, and got the same results
frown.gif
frown.gif

So I called Hornady and they said that the 40-V-Max needs an 11" or faster twist (12" is standard for the 204
frown.gif
)

So I got the second one rebarreled with a 10" twist barrel and chambered for 20 Tac.... and all is fine.

Oh my, I am simple minded. Has a crack but isn t that bad. Less than a 223. Thats all I could compare it too. A slight whisper in the dark......

Back