New to me, .204 ruger

bolski

Took the ruger M77 204 out today, Got it at 230, mounted the scope on it that the guy had taken off for shipping. He had some pretty great results with it so I loaded the same, 5 rds, 32 BK, 27.5 grs IMR 4895, 430, headed out just to shoot it. To my surprise theres a Groundhog. 210 yds Dead on hold, Bang, hes dead. End of story.

Got 2 more hogs this eve. One was about 10 yds in a hole and the other right at 200. I am actually impressed how well it shoots in the wind. Blowing about 15-20 here today. Maybe its luck but ill take it.

Sharp looking stick!
thumbup1.gif

Got my longest kill on a hog this evening with the 204. Center mass shot. Standing, aimed just below the chin. 308 yds. up to 15 with it now.

I have the identical rifle and its also my best shooting rifle I own. I shoot the 40 grain v-max with 27.8 grains of IMR 4895 pushing it at 3900 fps. I'm up to 60 hogs with it this year and still counting. I love mine.

Scope is a nitrex.
I m gonna try some 40 gr after I tighten these 32 gr up a bit. Got some BK 's and some vmax to test when I her back from vacation. What kind of grouping are you with the 40gr?

I'm getting under half inch groups at 100 with the 40 grainers. One VERY calm evening about two years ago I shot it at 500 yards while sighting in AR for a sniper match. Had a 5 shot group with it that could be covered with a pop can. Notice I said a CALM evening. Was totally amazed. Such an awesome caliber.

Bolski, I have to ask, easy on the ears compared to what caliber? In my experience anytime the speed of sound is broken two to three times and possibly four times, the noise is loud no matter how small the projectile. Also, what model is your 77?

Originally Posted By: missedshot easy on the ears compared to what caliber?

A 22-250 for one.

That was the first thing I noticed when my buddy had his on the bench along side my 22-250. Seemed like quite a bit of difference to me.

Quote:What kind of grouping are you with the 40gr?
...Your results may by different, but most, including me, have better groups with the 39gr SBKs than with the 40gr V-Max bullets...My 39gr will usually run consistently under 1/2" at 100, while the 40s will open up to just under 1"...

I went out yesterday with some test loads in 32gr Noslers w/Exterminator powder and had a couple of loads that were running in the .3s and .4s, others were in the .75-1.25"

I envy the Groundhog population you guys in the East have...Ours have all but disappeared...Maybe they were even worse at weather prognostication that Phil does at 37%....I used to have one in our neighborhood that the neighbor's wife thought was cute, until it started burrowing into the bank that was supporting their in ground pool and then her husband told me to shoot it while she was at work...

Back