Buying leg traps!!!!

coolkid. for starters, give the Duke 1.75 or 2's a try. they are not perfect for all things but perdy darn decent for what you're planning on. good luck this fall. hope ya catch some fur
thumbup1.gif

I would talk too your local buyer ask him about the animals in your area and what traps you should use.
Ask him if he'll a show you how to properly skin and put up the animals you want to trap.
Also ask me if there's a local trapper that would be willing to show you a little bit about trapping in your area.
Good luck and have fun and be safe.
Carson

Also, look up your state trappers association.....you'll usually find all the resources you requested and more. Good luck this season and have fun!!

Hey Coolkid, A #3 double long spring (DLS) is a good all around trap for your target critters. Sorry to hear we lost a good hand out here in the Bucking Horse State, you'll be back. Check the sites for some good used ones. You need to mod them up like coils, in my opinion, for those bigger yotes in your country.
Due to the effort, I would recommend A #2 coilspring. You have to do alot of dirtwork for DLSs. I have bout 2 dozen as backup/extras. Usually use them early until I get the hot areas down. You will move 2 or 3 times the dirt for a DLS versus a coilspring. Not to mention I weigh 205, and I have moments that DLS just dont wanna play with me, as far as setting them in the field. If you are investing I would go for coils, and you can buy setters from any supplier to give a feller of your size the leverage to set them.
If I were you I would checkout, www.schmittent.com, Gerald and Doreen have a great selection and real fair prices. They get ALL of my store bought business. Not to mention Gerald runs monthly specials where you might get a deal. I ordered over $1000 worth of stuff this spring, true to their word, only $22.90 shipping. And Gerald will take a novice's questions and give sound advice, he did with me.
I hope this was a lil help and feel free to ask anytime. I would go small and work your way up, coons are easy and fun. And most foot traps that will hold coon will hold fox and cat.
One last lil bit of advise...They call it checkin' traps, not emptying traps. Good Luck, WyYoteKiller

Hey just checked, Schmitt has 1.5 2coils for 52.95. Last used #3 DLS cost me $140 a dozen. A $140 investment will get you 2 dozen traps versus 1 dozen. Plus cover shipping, and get you some lure. 1.5s will do cats, fox, coons, and will hold a yote for a bit. Dukes need tuning, these things all us trappers know and have the know how. Just some thoughts.WYK

Back