Opinions on best binoculars for the money

shelton573

Hello,
I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on what are the best binos for the money. I want to keep the price around $80-$150 and in a 10x42 or so. I have only used very cheap binos in the past because I tend to lose them. I know the price range I have won't buy anything real fancy but would still like to know what you all think. Thanks in advance!

Shelton

Save your pop can money and get something good, and buy a good bino harness and keep track of them. I just bought Nikon Monarch 5 10x42 that are nice and clear. Years ago I bought cheap binos that were not clear and always seemed to be fogged up when I really needed them. It is still 6 months to hunting season, give up a bad habit for 6 months and you will have the money for good binos.

The above comments do not reflect the views of everyone hear, just an old guy that has experience with cheap stuff in the past. Thanks and good luck with your choice.

Thanks for the info guys! Rifleman, I have thought about doin that considering I just quit smoking (already saving money from that) but I was really wanting them for turkey season which starts in 3 weeks. My brother had bad luck with his monarchs and switched to steiners but that was only one example. Today I looked at the redfield rebels for 150 but don't know much about their binos (feel free to comment on them if anyone has experience). I will probably end up going with rifleman's suggestion but go vortex route.

Please keep the opinions coming! Thanks!

Shelton

Add another $50 to your upper limit and get a pair of Zen Ray ZRS 10x42. Very good glass for the money. Google Zen-Ray binos and do a little reading.

I know a lot of people with the Vortex and they all love them. I would save up a few hundred more and get the Talon or Vipers a lot better glass for a little more money.

I have also heard a lot of good things about the Zen Ray line, but I would go with the Vortex just because the warranty part of it.

I also would look at the demo units on camerlands website they have the Zen-ray and Minox for a great price.

Last edited:
I carry Nikon Monarchs in either 8X or 10X most of the time. I own 3 pair and have had no problem with them. They're very clear and glasses-friendly. You might get a used pair in your price range or a new pair in the $225 -$350 range.

I've got two Monarch and they are very good. However, I've got an old pair of Weaver 10x42's that beats them hands down. They are made any longer.

I'm looking at the Vortex line right now and am leaning heavily that way. Really would like a pair of Swaro's but I don't have any rich uncles.

Wait! Save your money until you can buy a really nice pair. You will never regret buying the best you can afford. I would think if you got a great pair of binoculars you would appreciate what you have; you would take care of them and not lose them 'cause paid a lot of good money for them.

Buy once cry once.

Big 5 had the laupold rogue 8x50 on sale for 109 a couple weeks ago. I been watching for a long time and I knew that was a great price so I picked them up. Not exactly amazing but I like them...They are already full of sand from hog hunting in 50 mph wind...

There is a little coleman bino for about 30 bucks. Try putting it in amazon. I swear to you these things are freaking amazing! they are tiny, light weight, and for 30 bucks the image is awesome. I keep the leupy in my truck but for walking my friend has these and I swear the image is on par with the leupold. I'm thinking of picking some up for when I use .22lr with irons.

I'm too rough on stuff to carry around some 300 dollar binos.

Last edited:
Vortex optics are a great bang for your buck. I bought the 10x42 Talon HD's and I LOVE them. My only complaint is they are a bit heavy, but for how clear and bright they are I can't complain. Plus their Forever No fault transferable warranty can't be beat!

While in Las Cruces for the 2011 PM Hunt, I went into one of the local big box sporting goods stores to find something and ran across a promo package from Leupold that had a nice folding knife included with a 10x28 binocular for $109...

One of those things that you just 'can't pass up'...They are great binoculars, lightweight and compact...slip easily in a pocket for carrying...I keep them in the little door pocket on the driver's door if my vehicle for easy access...

I have another binocular that was made by Nikon that I've had since the mid '70s that is a 8x25 that has been my everyday carry in a patrol car and they've been slammed around, slid off the seat, and dropped more times than I like to think about...The cost back then was about $120, and I've always considered them one of the better buys that I've made...

I have had Alpens for the last 10 years. They were $300 when I bought them. I sent them back on warranty after they fell out of the truck and they fixed them with no problems. I dropped them again this year while cleaning out the truck. Sent them in and they replaced them. The only thing I am out is the shipping to them. I have been impressed with the quality and definately with the warranty.

Thanks for all the input guys! I worked a little overtime and went ahead and paid the extra money for the vortex diamondback 10x42. So far I am extremely happy with them. I was in between them and the leupold acadias but in the end I had to pick the vortex because they are slightly clearer and I liked the focus adjustment better. Thanks again everyone!

Shelton

Back