Pickin up sheds...

Passmore

Well went out after work this morn, 3rd time this year. Found 10 today and 1 fork horn skull. Makes 17 horns and 6 skulls this spring.

Anyone else?

Passmore

I will be running fences the next couple weeks, I am sure I will find a few. Still seeing a lot of the mule carrying both sides right now. Haven't seen any white tails recently.

I actually picked up 3 fresh sheds in one trip back in January, and a handfull here and there until we got all that snow. I haven't been out again yet since it melted, but I'm hopin to go out tomorrow since I have a day off.

We're all Whitey's at my end, and I haven't seen one carrying an antler in 3-4wks.

Picked up a couple sheds, and a nice head from a dead buck while out on my trapline this week. The skull had 3 antlers

IMAG1589_zpsdc9fc10b.jpg

All whiteys here too. I may go again this week???
Todd that'd be a good set and bigsky that's a cool rack. one of my buddies just got in trouble for pickin up a skull and not calling KDWP first. What a load of crap.

Passmore

I'm looking forward to going out for some sheds and morels, hopefully a nice turkey also, but winter will not give up this year.

We had a blizzard warning today. We had no winter last year so I am not complaining about a blizzard.

Picked up two sets and about 10 singles the last week. Always fun looking for and finding them. Only a couple were mule deer. Got some more fence to check in some pastures that hold more muley's so I am hopeful to find some more of them.

I think the coyotes and other critters carry them around some, too. I have found sheds in the trail roads a couple of times in mid summer. I know they weren't there earlier when I had been down that same trail.

Been slow here lately for me but been super busy. You're the only other person I know that says critters carry em off. Dogs love chewin on em so why would a yote! Wish we had muleys here.

Passmore

got 3 elk sheds only 1 brown
12 mule deer sheds, 4 brown, ONE HEAVY son of a 4 point shed. might be the match to one my wife found last year the biggest we have found in all my years of sheddin.
two antelope sheaths for Will.

Originally Posted By: cmiddleton got 3 elk sheds only 1 brown
12 mule deer sheds, 4 brown, ONE HEAVY son of a 4 point shed. might be the match to one my wife found last year the biggest we have found in all my years of sheddin.
two antelope sheaths for Will.

SWEET!!!!
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

GREEN RIVER - Last month, Wyoming Game and Fish Department game wardens conducted increased law enforcement efforts on southwest Wyoming crucial big game winter ranges, with the goal to thwart the illegal collection of shed antlers before the May 1st antler season opener.

Mountain View Game Warden Dustin Kirsch said the increased efforts were to protect the wintering herds of elk, deer, antelope, and moose from unnecessary harassment on the winter range.

“Protection of these big game herds on the winter range between January 1 and April 30 of each year is crucial in our efforts to help them during these critical time periods,” Kirsch said. “Big game animals, especially deer and antelope, are normally stressed during winter and spring periods, and are subject to weight loss and higher rates of mortality during this period. Disturbance of big game animals during winter and early spring time periods decreases their chance of surviving and reproducing successfully. This is why the antler collection regulation was initiated in 2010.”

Wybob,
Interesting, but IMHO, a strange rule.
If a person isn't actually hunting the animals, I guess I fail to see the "harrassment" from walking thru the area & picking up antlers off the ground.
{I understand that you didn't make the rule. You're only reporting what it states.}

If a person cannot pick up those sheds, does this also mean that a person cannot hunt predators; collect firewood; ect, as well during this time period?

Canislatrans54, some areas they close the roads, others you can still go into but no antler gathering, last year the little woman and I were northeast of Evanston riding our atv's
warden stopped to talk with us and reminded us about the antler season. FOr the most part the winter range areas are pretty well posted with signs about the antler season. Shed antlers have become quite the commodity, lot of money involved and you know what happens when there's cash to be made.

sure glad i'm on this side of the contenental divide, no season here.
i wasn't disturbing any wild life, except scaredy goats spook them driving down the highway.
if shed hunting disturbs things so bad how about 4 4 wheelers 8 dogs lion hounds black lab and a beagle.
they drove up and down every canyon roads or no roads.

Back