What's wrong with the 222 sorry guys long read

I bought a sako vixen 222 bran new in the mid 70,s for $300.00. I didnt use it much because most of my fox were shot between 200 to 400 yd. I used a 243 instead, which was fur friendly unless you hit bone.I sold that vixen in 79 for $600, bought back from the same guy the next spring for $300. sold it again for $600 and got it back for a cheap taxidermy job.I sold it again for $600 to an out of area guy and never saw it again.Ya I love 222,s. I now own a rem. 700 classic in 222 and will never sell it.It is a great calling gun and can be loaded to be very fur friendly.

Made probably my best ever hunting shot with a Sako .222 that my brother-in-law still has. 200 yards offhand on a fox at night while b-in-law held the light. Won't say where that was as night hunting wasn't exactly legal there at the time, but it was literally a hen-house raiding fox, so he needed shooting.

I had a 222 rem made by Herters , I am sure it was a BSA , shot many varmints with it and took out a beaver at 225 yds in a lake. One of those I wish I never parted with .

Last edited:
I picked this Sako up a while back, and have never worked up a load for it, much less hunted with it. But it's not a regular 222, it's a MAG... LOL

0001-1-1.jpg

iv'e had a 222 for many years,and had fantastic luck with 52gr hornady hollow points,with 19.6 gr of 4198 powder,killed many many animals with this setup.

I have wanted a Vixen or a 700 Varmint for years. Finally found the 700 version and I'm excited to get it out this spring.

It seems to love the 50gr. SX and I am going to use it on gophers.

Any of you guys have some good fox/dog medicine I'd like to hear it.

Thanks,
Travis

Originally Posted By: deflaveI have wanted a Vixen or a 700 Varmint for years. Finally found the 700 version and I'm excited to get it out this spring.

Thanks,
Travis
Welcome to PM,

Mines a 700 HB as well. What part of MT are you in?

Never had a .222 but would have no problem having one over the .223 I have. The rifle I bought at the time was not chambered in .222 but there it sat on the shelf in .223. Like has been said the .223 just took over as can be expected being it is so close to the .222 and a military round. My buddy still has his old .222 from is youth and has no intentions of "upgrading" and for good reasons.

Originally Posted By: bigsky_songdogsOriginally Posted By: deflaveI have wanted a Vixen or a 700 Varmint for years. Finally found the 700 version and I'm excited to get it out this spring.

Thanks,
Travis
Welcome to PM,

Mines a 700 HB as well. What part of MT are you in?

Havre.

Travis

Looking to buy a double set trigger Steyr with a Zeiss Diavari scope from the local gun store, it was the owner's personal rifle and he guarantees it will shoot one hole groups.

very few people have anything bad to say about a .222

One of my favorite loads for the 222 is blc2 and a 52 gr hornady mhp it killed a lot of fox and coyotes beavers and raccoons. Just recently I tried some cfe 223 and some 52gr Berger match varmints and that was an extremely accurate combination.

Originally Posted By: devildoggOne of my favorite loads for the 222 is blc2 and a 52 gr hornady mhp it killed a lot of fox and coyotes beavers and raccoons. Just recently I tried some cfe 223 and some 52gr Berger match varmints and that was an extremely accurate combination.

Good to know. I got some of both.

Thanks,
Travis

Back